All three ways of running VaM stopped working. Need help.

mlbloom

Reactions
Patreon
EdgyCuss
Need Help. I'm a longtime user of Virt-a-Mate (over 3 years -every day). It's worked well on my Quest 1, Quest 2 and Quest 3. I was able to run VaM 3 different ways: With VD and SteamVR; With VD without Steam using a script; and with Oculus Air Link. But three days ago a huge problem occurred. When I get to the opening screen of VaM, everything vibrates like a washboard whenever I move my head. It makes VaM un-useable. Also the thumb controllers are no longer mapped correctly. When I move thumb stick forward, the scene moves side to side rather that up or down (right controller). This happens on both the Quest2 and Quest3 running VaM through VD. Air Link doesn't vibrate the image but the controllers aren't mapped correctly. When I run through VD with SteamVR there is no washboard affect but the controllers don't show at all although they do show in the SteamVR home and other apps. Other programs work fine but VaM no longer does. I have a GE76 MSI Raider with a 3070 GPU. Any help would be appreciated. I've tried numerous solutions (including running a fresh version of VaM) but none have worked.

Have you changed drivers or some piece of HW?
Some ppl also encounter some stuttering with the newest VD version, tho for me everything runs as before, just tested with Q3 and Pro.
On which version is your Quest3, v59?

But something must have changed on your side, if it happens out of all sudden and even with a fresh VAM install.

Had the exact same issue. Couldn't use SteamVR because there was no controllers in game. Couldn't use virtual desktop because it shuddered when moving the headset. I solved it by downgrading virtual desktop to the previous version 1.29.6. Had to uninstall virtual desktop on the quest. Side load it using sidequest, then reboot the quest. Then uninstall and reinstalled the associated virtual desktop streamer.

Must be something with the latest version of virtual desktop.

Thank you! I had the same issue (Quest 3, v58 and v59). Tried a lot of stuff but downgrading VD wasn't one of them. But 1.29.6 works like a charm.

Edit: Since VD keeps updating itself after each downgrade, I looked into this more and realised I had vrperfkit in the VAM directory. Removing this fixed the issue even with the latest VD version, so that seems to be the actual cause of the issue. I suppose this could be troubleshot further by disabling specific options in the utility to see which one is to blame, but I don't have the time, energy or motivation to do that right now.

Last edited:
Thank you! I had the same issue (Quest 3, v58 and v59). Tried a lot of stuff but downgrading VD wasn't one of them. But 1.29.6 works like a charm.

Edit: Since VD keeps updating itself after each downgrade, I looked into this more and realised I had vrperfkit in the VAM directory. Removing this fixed the issue even with the latest VD version, so that seems to be the actual cause of the issue. I suppose this could be troubleshot further by disabling specific options in the utility to see which one is to blame, but I don't have the time, energy or motivation to do that right now.
Thanks, removing vrperfkit worked for me! Better than constantly downgrading VD.

Back
Top Bottom