Answered UIButtons can not be pressed under certain angles

scsi

Reactions
Trying to make a scene and this shit with buttons is fucking infuriating. I almost obliterated my keyboard 5 minutes ago because of this.
When this happens it takes away the will to live not saying to create anything.
If I rotate the buttons 90 or 180 degrees it seems to help a bit but not always.
I also met this problem in other peoples scenes.
This is driving me insane. Is there a way to solve this?
Didn't find anything via search. Please help =(

Yeah, buttons are a bit finicky about angle and if there's something in between them and the user.
To prevent going insane with unclickable buttons, I usually give them more space in between and some distance from other atoms.

Upvote 0
Also Check your FoV settings, on desktop at FoV 20 certain angles and distance you cannot trigger the UI, try 40 or 60 FoV depending on the scene ;)
1659230069787.png

Also try this plugin to make the UI follow the camera
😺

Upvote 0
Also try this plugin to make the UI follow the camera
There is a fuckload of buttons in this scene. Not all of them shown in the video. They will just block all the view :)
There is a possibility that the invisible light was caught between the camera and buttons. I need to investigate it.
Will also try the FoV thing.
Thanks for the tips! Will update later.

Upvote 0
Removed EVERYTHING around affected button, even the hidden uninteractable objects and lights. Didn't help.
Played with FoV. Also didn't help.
Buggy piece of 🤬

Upvote 0
It's true, UIbuttons could be tricky sometimes...
Especially if you place them close to each other (or to another control node) or overlap ontop of something.
Also viewing angle doesn't help the case (if button is not hidden).

-Did you try using "Hidden" option on UIButtons?
(It should help preventing selection of UIButton, while in 'play mode' and atoms are 'hidden').
-You could try resizing Canvas Y Size? :unsure:
(To "push" control node down).

EDIT:
example1 (hidden):
All unnecessary nodes are hidden.
I can press all 4 buttons without any issues by clicking top section (and not at the bottom where control node is).
uibuttonA.jpg

example2 (show hidden):
When enable, it's bit harder to press buttons (due to atoms in front).
Also as you can see by select area (canvas size) I pushed control nodes down (to prevent control selection).
uibuttonB.jpg

uibuttonC.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RandomVAMUser
Yes. If I stretch the buttons vertically, this helps. But I place a lot of buttons stacked vertcally so to avoid interlapping I had to move each lower row closer to viewer. Afterall this all looks more like a staircase than a buttons array.
I created hell and willingly went inside.
I guess I'll have to be a little more creative. Time to learn how to use Timeline.

BTW is there a way to take off (or put on) one single piece of clothes from Person with UIButton? I mean without reloading whole clothes preset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there is toggle: trigger, but than you have to use person:exact clothing item:etc (it's fine until you change appearance).
also it breaks reference/dependencies (just a tip... if you have plans sharing stuff on hub) (more info).

Alternatively idk...
If you don't wanna load/toggle clothing presets, maybe try adjusting material alpha?
(than again you have to use similar trigger path as with toggle: ...not useful if you change presets often)

Back to original question...
In example video above you are in edit mode also you moused over UIbutton control nodes.
(it doesn't matter if targets ("T") are displayed or not, in video they are not hidden).
If adjusting canvas is not an option for your use case, try using 'hidden' option on UIbuttons
(make sure 'show hidden' is unchecked on atom list/select list).

Upvote 0
"show hidden" in the list is unchecked
Hide control nodes with button on the wall (sets the Hidden flag)
Hit T
Hit Play Mode
No changes :LOL:
Alpha manipulation is not an option because I need to remove her shoes, which has heels and affect her leg height and feet morphs.
And about sharing on hub... Unlikely.
Toggles, triggers, bugs, more bugs... Guess the Timeline is the way to go.
You probably saved me a lot of time and some neurons in what's left of my brain by confirming my conjectures.
Many thanks for your answers!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"show hidden" in the list is unchecked
Hide control nodes with button on the wall (sets the Hidden flag)
Hit T
Hit Play Mode
No changes :LOL:
This is unfortunate and weird (i mean angle is not extreme and you are not too close).
In entire video not once did attack 2 & act 2 button highlight? (or did i miss it?)

omfg this is YOUR room I use in this scene :eek:
🙀
I just re-checked environment right now, placing buttons in same area, (but i can't reproduce).
Even checked if hidden bed frame was the issue (nope, even if UIbutton is inside bed frame it works).

Sadly...
I can't think of any other solution, hidden option works for me (when i can't press it due to weird angles or overlays). :(
Maybe some plugin/session plugin that conflict? (this is wild guess)
This is older video
But you can see i don't have much issue pressing or highlighting buttons (even with controls visible). 🤷‍♂️
True, controls in this video are "floating", still you should have same result...but you don't.

Upvote 0
from my experience UIbuttons are pretty consistent and easy to click on

the only time i had problems with clicks was a render index issue, or whatever it's called under Materials > Shader, it's like 2400 by default. i had the scene inside a sphere or cube and just turned the index on that down and it was ok after that. The clicks get captured by something else 'in front' i think. based on your video your background panel might be like that, try turning the index down on that

Upvote 0
Life... Is hard... Especially when you are an epic proportions idiot.
изображение_2022-08-03_032326308.png
Big thanks to everyone for answers.
Have a nice, productive, and pleasant day.
I'll go take a nap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TLDR: In my case this was caused by the object behind the buttons. It was the bedframe and it was too close.
Moved the buttons away by 0.01 and everything began to work as it should.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom