Question Texture Face from a Real Human (Reference Image based) ?

DanVR

Reactions
Hi All,
As I'm still very new to VAM, on the last few days I'm learning so much and still have so much more to learn.

I've been looking around the forums trying to find some hints and tutorials, and I did found some but I still couldn't create it.

This is what I want to do:
1 - I would like to create 100% original character - I guess, starting from the default Model / Person in VAM is the right way
2 - I would like to focus on the FACE MORPH + FACE TEXTURES first - of course, body textures must match not only color but all maps.
3 - As I practice in VAM I realize that MORPHING (face or body) is not my issue, I can pretty much make ANYTHING I like, it just takes time.

So far so good, starting with the above isn't what I'm scratching my head over...
Now the confusion start and I have no idea how to begin, what should I do, what tools should I use and in what order?

Some of the issues I have:
1 - I need a way to get a Photorealistic Face for the textures mostly + ALL the MAPS (Diffuse, Spec, etc..)
2 - From my understanding I need a tool to FLATTEN / UNWARP whatever reference Photorealistic Face from an image so I can import back to my VAM model somehow
3 - After looking around I understood that people recommending FaceGen (which I own already) but... if I remember correct:
- FaceGen: Can create a Base-Morph (A start point I can probably continue MORPH manually inside VAM)
- FaceGen: Can create ONLY color map? (not any other of the maps I need)
- FaceGen: Output resolution is so low compare to what is needed... (I believe 4096 is recommended for High-Quality Texture?)

This is where I'm not even sure consider VAM in 2022, should I even use FaceGen?

4 - Not only that I have no idea with what tools to import the "REAL IMAGE" to the 3D Face, but how do I Unwarp it? Create the other Maps?
5 - After that step above, how do I bring it back to VAM?
6 - How do I MATCH the skin body colors with the skin face? (Seams between face and neck / body maps must be connected somehow right?)

Consider I joined to the VAM Universe pretty late:
- Is there a Different, More simple way to do all the process now in 2022 + latest VAM version?
- Is there a good up-to-date tutorial I missed of the WHOLE process from scratch? (from using a FACE as image, and to the point importing it back to VAM)

Even if it's possible to do with VAM to BLENDER or Photoshop (or other tools) ...I have no idea how to begin

As you noticed, I do understand the basic of how it needs to be done since I read many forums threads and tried to look for tutorials but couldn't find something that explains it to me Step-By-Step as I a noob + English isn't my native language, a Visual way or easy-to-follow Tutorial with images is much easier for me to follow and try for myself.

I believe that this could help other upcoming noobs (such as myself) in the future so maybe this post will be an updated help Tips & Tricks guide with some help from the mighty experienced VAM magicians :)

Thanks ahead for anyone who can take the time and explain it in the most up-to-date 2022's VAM way or your own unique workflow!

Last edited:
OK...
I know it's weird because I'm answering most of the questions (not all) to myself, but as I said, I want this to be helpful for other upcoming newbies.
It's not an official guide (yet) but I'm sharing what I've learned, please understand I'm VERY new to VAM... so I'm not an expert in any area.

So after keep reading more and more and some tests, I found out this workflow to work with GREAT RESULTS:

You'll need this:
1. FaceGen - I own the Artist Pro version, I recommend to try the DEMO before you buy just to make sure you like it or not.
2. Photoshop - you can use anything similar like Gimp (I never used it) any software that supports Layers and Transparent
3. FRONT Image for texture (diffuse map) SIDE image is mostly for more accurate Morph (I didn't use it)
4. Make sure to use the HIGHEST RESOLUTION images you can get, 4096x4096 is what VAM liking from what I know based on the defaults.
- It's not a big deal if your images are lower than 4096x4096 but if it's too small: 1024x1024 or lower... don't expect for beautiful results.
5. Lots Patience -Tweaking to your liking may be FUN for some, or NIGHTMAIRE for others (I personally enjoy it so far)

Once again, I didn't solve everything but it is my current workflow and I'm going to try improving it as I keep learning and experimenting.

Here we go, Lets Start!

FaceGen:
1. Run FaceGen - import the IMAGES: FRONT+ SIDE is better for morph results mostly (I do the morphs in VAM so I don't care) and COLOR (diffuse) TEXTURE.
2. Create the Face - Follow the instructions in FaceGen, place the dots, etc..
3. Export - FaceGen will tell you WHERE the generated files are placed (Texture + Morphs)

VAM:
1. Make a duplication of the Base Textures, in this example we go for the Female Default that came with VAM as a Start-Point.
- You can find the files In your VAM root directory:
Code:
C:\VaM\Custom\Atom\Person\Textures\FemaleBase\
2. Copy Past it, Rename to your NEW name, example: "Celeb_Name" or whatever you're aiming for.

PHOTOSHOP: (or Gimp)
1. Start with the Color (most obvious texture visually) as your Reference. Load this file: "faceD.jpg" (D = Diffuse)
2. On the same project you're working now, LOAD the file you created in FaceGen, it will appear on a Layer ABOVE "faceD"

The Fun Part Begins:
. Let's say you want to change the Eyebrows only - with the FaceGen image you loaded:
2. Duplicate it, name it to "New Eyebrows" for example, start Erasing AROUND it (leave some spare skin around) make sure you're using a SOFT eraser so it will BLEND with everything under (which is the reference from VAM)
3. Now, let's change the eyebrows texture SHAPE. there are many ways to this, but start simple: EDIT > Puppet Warp
Start creating new dots around the whole "frame / edge" of the eyebrows you made. Now add points on the Eyebrows Left, Center, Right and tweak it to your liking, don't go too far if you want to keep it sharp.
4. MATCH the COLOR of the eyebrows + some soft skin you had with Hue/Saturation: Ctrl+U and start playing with the Lightness first, be gentle!
5. Do the same for any other part of the face: Lips, Nose, Forehead or skin in general, add freckles or whatever you like.
6. Done with the Face? Great! have some fun with the BODY TEXTURES go nuts 🤪
7. You can go even CRAZIER and add makeup or tattoos using the DECAL textures!

By now you pretty much get the idea, Sky is the Limit you can create so many variations of whatever you dream of.

---

Unfortunately, This is what I got so far... I still have much more to learn:
I didn't figure out yet how to re-produce yet is the OTHER TEXTURE MAPS: Specular, Glass, Normal.

I believe that there are ways to generate these based on the Diffuse, I remember running into some free software years ago when I played with Blender.
The bad news is... I don't remember it's name, it was VERY SIMPLE: Loading the Diffuse Map, press Generate: DONE!

So this is mostly the only part I'm missing I guess, if somebody will find it (maybe I can google to hunt it down later) or somebody else will probably find it before I do, please SHARE! :)

I'm sorry for no screenshots or video, I'm not very good with these things also... I'm sorry about my bad English, I really hope that you could understand most of what I typed. and most of all I hope that this helped some people or will help newbies such as myself in the future.

Upvote 0
OK...
I know it's weird because I'm answering most of the questions (not all) to myself, but as I said, I want this to be helpful for other upcoming newbies.
It's not an official guide (yet) but I'm sharing what I've learned, please understand I'm VERY new to VAM... so I'm not an expert in any area.

So after keep reading more and more and some tests, I found out this workflow to work with GREAT RESULTS:

You'll need this:
1. FaceGen - I own the Artist Pro version, I recommend to try the DEMO before you buy just to make sure you like it or not.
2. Photoshop - you can use anything similar like Gimp (I never used it) any software that supports Layers and Transparent
3. FRONT Image for texture (diffuse map) SIDE image is mostly for more accurate Morph (I didn't use it)
4. Make sure to use the HIGHEST RESOLUTION images you can get, 4096x4096 is what VAM liking from what I know based on the defaults.
- It's not a big deal if your images are lower than 4096x4096 but if it's too small: 1024x1024 or lower... don't expect for beautiful results.
5. Lots Patience -Tweaking to your liking may be FUN for some, or NIGHTMAIRE for others (I personally enjoy it so far)

Once again, I didn't solve everything but it is my current workflow and I'm going to try improving it as I keep learning and experimenting.

Here we go, Lets Start!

FaceGen:
1. Run FaceGen - import the IMAGES: FRONT+ SIDE is better for morph results mostly (I do the morphs in VAM so I don't care) and COLOR (diffuse) TEXTURE.
2. Create the Face - Follow the instructions in FaceGen, place the dots, etc..
3. Export - FaceGen will tell you WHERE the generated files are placed (Texture + Morphs)

VAM:
1. Make a duplication of the Base Textures, in this example we go for the Female Default that came with VAM as a Start-Point.
- You can find the files In your VAM root directory:
Code:
C:\VaM\Custom\Atom\Person\Textures\FemaleBase\
2. Copy Past it, Rename to your NEW name, example: "Celeb_Name" or whatever you're aiming for.

PHOTOSHOP: (or Gimp)
1. Start with the Color (most obvious texture visually) as your Reference. Load this file: "faceD.jpg" (D = Diffuse)
2. On the same project you're working now, LOAD the file you created in FaceGen, it will appear on a Layer ABOVE "faceD"

The Fun Part Begins:
. Let's say you want to change the Eyebrows only - with the FaceGen image you loaded:
2. Duplicate it, name it to "New Eyebrows" for example, start Erasing AROUND it (leave some spare skin around) make sure you're using a SOFT eraser so it will BLEND with everything under (which is the reference from VAM)
3. Now, let's change the eyebrows texture SHAPE. there are many ways to this, but start simple: EDIT > Puppet Warp
Start creating new dots around the whole "frame / edge" of the eyebrows you made. Now add points on the Eyebrows Left, Center, Right and tweak it to your liking, don't go too far if you want to keep it sharp.
4. MATCH the COLOR of the eyebrows + some soft skin you had with Hue/Saturation: Ctrl+U and start playing with the Lightness first, be gentle!
5. Do the same for any other part of the face: Lips, Nose, Forehead or skin in general, add freckles or whatever you like.
6. Done with the Face? Great! have some fun with the BODY TEXTURES go nuts 🤪
7. You can go even CRAZIER and add makeup or tattoos using the DECAL textures!

By now you pretty much get the idea, Sky is the Limit you can create so many variations of whatever you dream of.

---

Unfortunately, This is what I got so far... I still have much more to learn:
I didn't figure out yet how to re-produce yet is the OTHER TEXTURE MAPS: Specular, Glass, Normal.

I believe that there are ways to generate these based on the Diffuse, I remember running into some free software years ago when I played with Blender.
The bad news is... I don't remember it's name, it was VERY SIMPLE: Loading the Diffuse Map, press Generate: DONE!

So this is mostly the only part I'm missing I guess, if somebody will find it (maybe I can google to hunt it down later) or somebody else will probably find it before I do, please SHARE! :)

I'm sorry for no screenshots or video, I'm not very good with these things also... I'm sorry about my bad English, I really hope that you could understand most of what I typed. and most of all I hope that this helped some people or will help newbies such as myself in the future.
take a look at materialize (I think it's bounding box software), and at least it was free...hopefully still is. It'll give you height, metallic...from which you can derive the Specular, Gloss with a tiny amount of effort.

Upvote 0
In Photoshop you can use filter>3D>generate (maybe discontinued soon but mines isn't). For normals go to channels (next to layers) click on green channel and press ctrl+i to invert then click rgb channel and back to layers. Reason explained here in depth. https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/normal-maps-in-vam-101.418/ I think gloss is reserved for wet or extreme shine on focused areas and not neccessary i.e. wet vagina or glossy lips. Also VAM does not use roughness but gloss=roughness inverted. More useful for clothing and objects though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Couldn't find the software I used couple years ago, I'll just keep looking because it was easy to recreate the other maps based on the Diffuse one. I'll check out Materialize later, it seems like it should do the job, thanks @enigma

Also thanks @n2it ❤ for the Photoshop tip I never tried it before.
I think Adobe are getting rid of any "3D" things they used to put before, but I should check maybe this feature is still there.

Based on "my own" answers / instructions, above... I mean it's what I realize in few days as a new VAM user so probably it's not the most efficient way or easiest workflow compare to you advanced VAM users who read this.

So please, SHARE YOUR OWN step-by-step or if you have a tutorial / video guide it will be even better to learn from others because I believe there are better workflows to do this.

Upvote 0
Considering it's 2023 now, I wonder if there is a NEW or BETTER way to create original faces based on actual 2D Image for VAM?

I would like to create a new character and:
- Use an image (png/jpg) from real person
- Apply it in the highest (cleanest) quality texture possible
- Sculpt it to look as close to the person and may also add my own tweaks

-

I guess for the sculpting part I need to use Blender - (already installed latest version) ✅

1. For the texture based on a face I wonder if there is a better / newer way or PLUGIN to do now days?

2. Are there any recomended plugins to do the above? - texture + Vam to Blender to Vam without ruin the model

3. Is there an updated (2023) video tutorial to follow?

Thanks ahead for anyone who can help and explain or share helpful related plugins / tutorials for the task 🙏

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom