Syncing animation on rotating platform

StardustVR

Reactions
Hey, guys. I posted this question over on the Discord with no reply. It's only been 24 hrs but it's already moved quite a ways up the page so don't think it's going to get answered there. This is simply a copy and paste hoping someone here may can help. Hope I worded all this ok. Wasn't easy to explain.

I have a showcase type scene on a rotating platform so I can bring in my looks to see them in various poses and animations. But I can't seem to sync my model and an asset (a subscene in this case) at the same exact location. For example, I created a walk animation that also spawns a tredmill. When I select the "walk" trigger, they do not sync up. I can grab a video if it would help.

To try and describe it: imagine a record player that is spinning. Paint a tiny dot somewhere on the record. Now every time you start and stop the record player that dot will always be at the same spot. That's my treadmill. The model, however, always starts over at the initial "paint" spot, regardless of where the record currently is in it's rotation. So they never sync. I hope all that makes sense. Any way to get the asset and her to spawn at the exact same location while the platform is spinning? I considered triggering the platform to reset at the start of the animation, but would rather not since it causes a bit of a jerk. Using timeline, by the way. Thank you.

To add to this - what I did was stop the platform and pose my model in her initial animation (walk) pose and save that pose. Then I added the subscene (tredmill) and moved in into the proper location and saved the scene. The trigger then starts her walk animation along with spawning the subscene. Wonderful, as long as I never load a different pose or animation for my showcase. Once I do and click the "walk" trigger, she always starts walking in the same location (say, facing 90 degrees to the west - or 9:00). The subscene only knows the specific point on the platform on which I added it, which can now be anywhere on a 360 degree circle, and that's where it spawns. Maybe I have no choice but to stop and reset the platform, trigger the animation and then restart the rotation.

It might not be helpful in your case, but just in case, you can position/animate other assets using timeline, you can use "select from scene", add your treadmill to your timeline animation, and it will be exactly where you want it when you play your animation :unsure:

It might not be helpful in your case, but just in case, you can position/animate other assets using timeline, you can use "select from scene", add your treadmill to your timeline animation, and it will be exactly where you want it when you play your animation :unsure:

I did indeed try to add the treadmill with (and without) timeline with the same result. But I don't recall using a "select from scene" option, I simply used a trigger. Let me revisit that. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom