• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Switched RTX 2070 for RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio, now VAM crashes in VR with Rift S on heavy scenes :(

Yeah It was really noticeable on Vam, it would start happening and get worse and worse as time went on. I tried everything, cleaning headset out, cable connections etc. Tried software updates / uninstall - reinstall / the whole shebang and no luck. Only fix was a new cable. They go for as much as a mint used Rift S these days and always nice to have a backup since they're discontinued. Hope that helps. The static and screen freezing with blackout was happening a lot so I got tired of it haha. One way around it may be to unplug the Display Port on rift and plug it back in. A quick fix

I'm pretty stubborn so when I say I tried everything I mean everyyything. lol. Nvidia drivers, hacked oculus versions, clean install several times. Nada

@wolverine333
Out of curiosity in case I ever buy VR hardware - how long did your original cable last and how much did you use it?

If the cable signal quality is borderline (I mean it does still connect for pinosante) maybe it will still work on lower resolutions for a while until it fails completely?

The fact that the original cable is already Unobtanium - no longer sold like wolverine333 already said - pisses me off.
It's just 3 year old hardware - wtf Meta / Facebook!
Just searched for replacements - 3rd party cables are super expensive and their quality could be questionable.
  • If I'd buy a wired headset it could be unusable after only 3 years due to a bad cable?
  • If I'd buy a WiFi headset it could be unusable after only 3 years due to a dead battery?
:unsure:

@wolverine333
Out of curiosity in case I ever buy VR hardware - how long did your original cable last and how much did you use it?

If the cable signal quality is borderline (I mean it does still connect for pinosante) maybe it will still work on lower resolutions for a while until it fails completely?

The fact that the original cable is already Unobtanium - no longer sold like wolverine333 already said - pisses me off.
It's just 3 year old hardware - wtf Meta / Facebook!
Just searched for replacements - 3rd party cables are super expensive and their quality could be questionable.
  • If I'd buy a wired headset it could be unusable after only 3 years due to a bad cable?
  • If I'd buy a WiFi headset it could be unusable after only 3 years due to a dead battery?
:unsure:

I used mine a lot, owned it for a couple of years before the cable went down hill. They’re very particular cables though. I was so pissed at Mark lol fb what have you I took the cable apart to see what the heck was hiding in the part that splits the usb to thunderbolt. I wound up finding a pc board and chip with a brand that google showed very little results on. That’s how they cleverly tethered it, it’s basically a dongle for the headset haha. Pretty sure there’s a facebook app on that tiny chip 😲. Just a guess btw.

I know what you mean on the dead battery or dead unit we’re left with. Everything's designed to fail which marketing guys think heavy on. What a pleasant world we live in haha. The more I look into the details on tech the more I scratch my head.

I am at a loss. Desktop works fine, it seems. Other GPU stuff works good (like CUDA applications / heavy GPU machine learning tasks). Other VR games work fine.

Simple (small) VR scenes also work. But big VR scenes, crash VAM. And it crashes my Rift S so hard, that I have to reboot to actually be able to use the Rift S again.

I checked with GPU-Z and it's not that the GPU memory is overloading.

Any tips on how to problem solve this? I'm kinda depressed that the sole reason for spending $1000, seems to be in vain :(.

Have you enabled the Above 4G decoding in the BIOS?
I've just read all the threads here and realize that this might very well be the problem. You have to enable above 4G decoding to provide proper memory remapping for the shared GPU memory.

Last edited:
Above 4G decoding, I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a BIOS noob. What is that? Where do I find that? Do you think it should be off or on?
Enable Above 4G Decoding and also Enable the Resizable Bar in the UEFI BIOS. They should be on if you have a 3000 series RTX card as well as 64GB of RAM.
Motherboard Manufacturers are all slightly different, but if you have a gaming motherboard, it might be in the top right corner.

Because the 2070 probably doesn't have as much memory, as well as a potentially slower bandwidth with the PCIe lanes, it probably worked fine with Above 4G Decoding disabled. With the more powerful card however, you need to enable these two options to be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth the card might need.

It's a bit more complicated, but this is as simple as I can put it.

Enable Above 4G Decoding and also Enable the Resizable Bar in the UEFI BIOS. They should be on if you have a 3000 series RTX card as well as 64GB of RAM.
Motherboard Manufacturers are all slightly different, but if you have a gaming motherboard, it might be in the top right corner.
I found it. Will do, thanks! I think I need to flash the bios to get the resizable bar thing. I hope this helps. (Above 4g was disabled).

Thanks so much for thinking with me here.

I used mine a lot, owned it for a couple of years before the cable went down hill. They’re very particular cables though. I was so pissed at Mark lol fb what have you I took the cable apart to see what the heck was hiding in the part that splits the usb to thunderbolt. I wound up finding a pc board and chip with a brand that google showed very little results on. That’s how they cleverly tethered it, it’s basically a dongle for the headset haha. Pretty sure there’s a facebook app on that tiny chip 😲. Just a guess btw.

I know what you mean on the dead battery or dead unit we’re left with. Everything's designed to fail which marketing guys think heavy on. What a pleasant world we live in haha. The more I look into the details on tech the more I scratch my head.
I got both Oculus Quest 1 and Oculus Quest 2 and both work perfectly fine, and the batteries last a solid 3 to 4 hours still. I haven't had any issues with either of them, and I got some 15ft USB-C cables on Amazon which work perfectly for connecting the Quest 2 to the PC at a high bandwidth. I haven't had any issues with the cables. They were pretty cheap, too.

Because the 2070 probably doesn't have as much memory, as well as a potentially slower bandwidth with the PCIe lanes, it probably worked fine with Above 4G Decoding disabled. With the more powerful card however, you need to enable these two options to be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth the card might need.

It's a bit more complicated, but this is as simple as I can put it.
Hi, I Enabled them both, but unfortunately VAM still crashes when I load heavy scenes in VR. They load fine when loading in Desktop mode.

I appreciate the suggestion!

Overnight I will do a ram test, but I don't think that is the solution either...

Do you know anyone with another headset you could borrow to test the cable or headset. My gut feeling says its possibly the data cable under heavy load and the chip may be currupt or defective when pushed. Hmm. If it were a hardware thing it would do it on desktop mode etc. vam uses a massive amount of power and will stress any system

Do you know anyone with another headset you could borrow to test the cable or headset. My gut feeling says its possibly the data cable under heavy load and the chip may be currupt or defective when pushed. Hmm. If it were a hardware thing it would do it on desktop mode etc. vam uses a massive amount of power and will stress any system
Yeah we are on the same page here. I am trying this tomorrow with a Quest 2 of my friend. If that works, I know it’s my Rift S headset.

Hi, I Enabled them both, but unfortunately VAM still crashes when I load heavy scenes in VR. They load fine when loading in Desktop mode.

I appreciate the suggestion!

Overnight I will do a ram test, but I don't think that is the solution either...

Bummer. I was almost certain that would fix the issue. After reading the discussion everything pointed to that being the issue. Either way, I'd recommend leaving the setting on anyway.

Bummer. I was almost certain that would fix the issue. After reading the discussion everything pointed to that being the issue. Either way, I'd recommend leaving the setting on anyway.
Yes I was hopeful as well. I will keep the setting on.

Ok, status update.

I just tested with the Quest 2 through a link cable and the heavy scenes do load. (Yay). Small caveat: the Quest 2 loses tracking sometimes (the headset) and gives a warning. The Rift S also did that, but then would crash. So somehow the headsets lose tracking for some reason. This didn't happen when I had my 2070.

So at this point I'm asking myself: 1) why does it crash the Rift S, 2) why do the headsets lose tracking momentarily. I disabled auto shutdown of USB slots and all...

The tracking issue may be due to the lighting settings in the oculus app. Maybe try 50hz setting or another to see if that helps.

The tracking issue may be due to the lighting settings in the oculus app. Maybe try 50hz setting or another to see if that helps.
That actually fixed it indeed! So yeah the q2 works. Rift S doesn’t. But I find the q2 quite uncomfortable on my head, compared to the rift s. And the graphics are not much of an improvement, not so much that I notice it in particular… so I would rather make this work with the Rift S, but there is some incompatibility issue I think.

Ok, end of this saga: I am selling the Rift S to buy a Quest 2. Thanks everyone :).

1655581843256.png

I had a similar issue with my Oculus Rift (CV1.) It started happening the moment I got my new MB and 3090. In all honesty, to sum up whats written below, I believe its just Oculus (Facebook) the company as a whole. I've gone through their support numerous times, and they never have an actual answer as to why the headsets crash. They always give a generic: try this, try that checklist. Never-mind a firmware update to resolve this issue.

After days of researching, I finally found someone that did a tear down on all the Rift models, and they determined that any static, blackscreen, or freezing was due to power management issues via USB 3.0 and higher ports, and that the hardware/firmware didn't correctly support it. It turns out the Oculus Rift was built for usb 2.0 originally, and just right near the end of development was bumped to 3.0. As most of us know, USB should be forwards and backwards compatible. But apparently in Oculus's case, its not. What this means, is if you are using the headset on a Motherboard with USB 3.1, there is a good chance you will have some sort of issue with your Oculus Rift (S) headset. After finding this information, I started looking into the proper USB support for the headset. Turns out Oculus(facebook) simply don't care to resolve the issue with a firmware update on the Rift and Rift S, and would prefer people just buy a new headset to resolve the issue, as both headsets are no longer officially supported under any part of their warranty..

So I took their advice, and bought a new VR headset, So far my Valve Index is far far superior to my Rift in every way, and the support behind it is lightyears ahead of Oculus.

In my case, when I got my RTX 3090, I also upgraded my motherboard. All my usb ports are usb 3.1.
The only semi fix to the issue, if upgrading to a different headset isn't an option, is to get a USB 2.0 Hub (powered.) I ended up trying this and it seemed to work somewhat okay after. Even tho the headset says it works better on a USB 3.0 connection, this was not the case for me, as I had already tried using via a USB 3.0 Hub. When I switched to plugging in the headset via USB 2.0 my issues were far less frequent. But it still did happen every so often.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my Oculus Rift (CV1.) It started happening the moment I got my new MB and 3090. In all honesty, to sum up whats written below, I believe its just Oculus (Facebook) the company as a whole. I've gone through their support numerous times, and they never have an actual answer as to why the headsets crash. They always give a generic: try this, try that checklist. Never-mind a firmware update to resolve this issue.

After days of researching, I finally found someone that did a tear down on all the Rift models, and they determined that any static, blackscreen, or freezing was due to power management issues via USB 3.0 and higher ports, and that the hardware/firmware didn't correctly support it. It turns out the Oculus Rift was built for usb 2.0 originally, and just right near the end of development was bumped to 3.0. As most of us know, USB should be forwards and backwards compatible. But apparently in Oculus's case, its not. What this means, is if you are using the headset on a Motherboard with USB 3.1, there is a good chance you will have some sort of issue with your Oculus Rift (S) headset. After finding this information, I started looking into the proper USB support for the headset. Turns out Oculus(facebook) simply don't care to resolve the issue with a firmware update on the Rift and Rift S, and would prefer people just buy a new headset to resolve the issue, as both headsets are no longer officially supported under any part of their warranty..

So I took their advice, and bought a new VR headset, So far my Valve Index is far far superior to my Rift in every way, and the support behind it is lightyears ahead of Oculus.

In my case, when I got my RTX 3090, I also upgraded my motherboard. All my usb ports are usb 3.1.
The only semi fix to the issue, if upgrading to a different headset isn't an option, is to get a USB 2.0 Hub (powered.) I ended up trying this and it seemed to work somewhat okay after. Even tho the headset says it works better on a USB 3.0 connection, this was not the case for me, as I had already tried using via a USB 3.0 Hub. When I switched to plugging in the headset via USB 2.0 my issues were far less frequent. But it still did happen every so often.
Thanks for your elaborate answer. This confirms my suspicion regarding “support” from Meta. So I sold my Rift S today and am on board for a Quest 2. Sad that this is the only real solution, since I was happy with my Rift S as is.

Back
Top Bottom