Game crashes on loading scenes

Merazul

Reactions
So as the title says, the game launches fine but every time I try to load a scene, Unity engine crashes game. It started doing this a couple of weeks ago so I haven't touched the game hoping it would "fix itself" but that never happened so now that I wanna try and do some stuff it won't let me. It loads up the default scenes without issues but as soon as I try to load in anything from the Hub or from anyone's patreon UE instantly crashes, sometimes it loads for a couple minutes and then crashes as the scene gets loaded in but it never gets to fully load. This seems to be happening when loading Assets as well. Sometimes the UE error doesn't even show on screen and when it does it's just a flash , not enough to get a screenshot of it. I've tried allocating more VRAM but nothing really seems to fix it. I've got 16GB RAM, an i7 cpu and a GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB OC.

As a side note: It used to launch just fine before all of this nonsense started happening all of a sudden. I've tried fixing the game via VaM_Updater.exe as well, neither of those options seem to work. I've tried downgrading to an earlier version as well. Also I'm playing in Desktop Mode. Tried forcing the game to run in dx9 as well as per some recommendations, doesn't do anything for me either.

Bump.

Anyone with any suggestions on what the fudge I should be trying next so I can fix my client? I'd like to get back in soon.. Already tried a clean install and compatibility mode as well since I've made this post.. It used to run just fine idk what got into it .

well i was gonna say delete it and re install it all then reinstal your add on packages folder. if you have already done that id say empty your add on packages folder so its a clean instal n see if it works. if it does start slowly adding hub stuff back in. good luck

This started happening to me just the other day, after vam working for 2 years with both htc vive and valve index with no problems. Im thinking its a problem with a windows update or steam vr update but who knows

This started happening to me just the other day, after vam working for 2 years with both htc vive and valve index with no problems. Im thinking its a problem with a windows update or steam vr update but who knows
I don't use VR though, I'm doing a clean clean install right now, maybe it'll help.

EDIT: I'm editing this so I don't make a bunch of posts for no reason. So after doing a super clean install the game works just fine. Now the thing is, I don't really know if that's what fixed it because I've had a windows update last night before the re-install so the update before this could've been what screwed the game over in the first place... Bottom line is, it's fixed and it's finally working again. Case closed.

Last edited:
This identical situation is happening on my girlfriend's installation. My computer works fine. Her installation doesn't behaves as you've described. Interestingly, when I take my copy of the game over to her system (it's on an external hdd), mine behaves in the same manner. Loads up fine. Loads default scene/default content fine. Consistently crashes when loading any other scene/look.

I think this is just caused by some interferences caused by too many addons, scenes, assets, whatever. Doing a clean install should always be the first step. After that install some addons piece by piece and have a look at when it crashes again, then the last addons maybe caused the crash, maybe.

I would also recommend doing one clean install and maybe store it for later without adding anything. So you always have a clean install when needed.

How much ram is in the computer? VaM seems to like to use about 20 to 25 Gb. At 16GB it will crash every few scene loads. at 8GB, crashes are very, very frequent.

"At 16GB it will crash every few scene loads." Sounds a bit harsh, cause I have intensively used VaM with 16GB for years. But It's right... VaM has an ugly little memory-bug for years. It fills up RAM with texturen and stuff, every new scene/look/clothing a bit, unless it crashes. 8GB would be definitely too small. And running VaM on a weak office PC/Laptop, which might only has 8GB, is a bad idea, too.
But I can't see that loading a single custom scene aside from the default scene (as described) could fill up several GB of RAM at once?
An other nasty bug comes with the VaM cache... it isn't very stable and you can easiely break it, especially if you move it from one drive(name) to another. Though, usually this will "only" bring up a long list of texture-loading errors, no crashes... but maybe it is worth being mentioned.

You never can be sure if a certain combination of Windows-Update, driver version and/or SteamVR patch will maybe break something. Though, in this case I would expect an uproar on this forum from some more users.
IMHO in this case it is more likely that the VaM installation has degrade for some reasons, and even a core-repair from the VaM-Installer couldn't fix it. From my experience as an grown-old gamer, this happens more often than one might think... and you can't always find logical reasons for this. Games are much more complicated and prone to errors, than most other apps and tools.

How much ram is in the computer? VaM seems to like to use about 20 to 25 Gb. At 16GB it will crash every few scene loads. at 8GB, crashes are very, very frequent.
32GB RAM, I7 3.2-4.5Ghz, Gtx1060 Strix 6GB OC. It works now but it did take me quite a while to fix. What I did was this:
- deleted VAM from my system
- clean download
- clean install
Re-downloaded scenes and such for a test and it seemed to work but sometimes it bugs out still. I guess it's still highly unstable.

Yep, it is unstable if you load like one scene after another after another ... with a lot of content, for example.
But I can say, at least for my system: it's pretty stable. At least with my way of using it, simple scenes, not loading many scenes.

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread, but in case anyone with this issue reads this: for me it was because my HDD was full (0 bytes left). Make sure you have enough free room to run the project.

it didnt do this 3 weeks ago but now my issue is the hole computer crashes while loading any scene, everytime screen goes black next thing i see is the aorus boot up logo
im using a 2tb ssd and my specs are

GIGABYTE rtx 2080ti extreme
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 48.0 GB
Device ID 23B75D53-3064-4741-927D-EF562A9C3DC9
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA971
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Possibly a safety feature for excessive temperatures somewhere.
VaM is demanding with hardware, so do some investigating if the temperature of your CPU or GPU is too high and triggers a reboot. Time to dust off the innards of your PC.

Possibly a safety feature for excessive temperatures somewhere.
VaM is demanding with hardware, so do some investigating if the temperature of your CPU or GPU is too high and triggers a reboot. Time to dust off the innards of your PC.
thats what i figured ill start with replacing th thermal paste on the cpu and gpu

Back
Top Bottom