Question Subfolders in AddonPackages?

jstdrwit

Reactions
I've seen others mention using subfolders within AddonPackages folder to better organize your library, however when I do this, VaM cannot find them.

Am I doing something wrong?

I also cannot find any good guide on what directories each type of file needs to go into... like environments, furniture, clothing, morphs, etc. - All in AddonPackages?

I've seen others mention using subfolders within AddonPackages folder to better organize your library, however when I do this, VaM cannot find them.

Am I doing something wrong?
Maybe you didn't scroll all the way down?
When using subfolders the list inside package manager is sorted alphabetically,
but when opening content from those subfolders (scene, look, preset, asset,...however you named them) it's sorted differently.
Root packages are listed first (kinda..."default AddonPackages"),
then subfolder packages are listed bellow (numbered folders first, then alphabetical folders).

I also cannot find any good guide on what directories each type of file needs to go into... like environments, furniture, clothing, morphs, etc. - All in AddonPackages?
There's no type for AddonPackages, only .var files (packages) goes inside.
You can create folders inside AddonPackages (looks, enviromnents, creator, plugins, etc..)
and move .var with said content in corresponding folder.

If you are asking about loose files (.zip or old .vac) that some creators still like to share even today, read link bellow for more info on file types.
Personally i would avoid those loose content, it's just lazy work.
It's not rocket science creating functional .var package...
.var package makes it easy for everyone who wants to use or try content (without making complete mess in process).
also if it's something you don't like, just remove it with "1 click" (without digging inside custom folder for all leftovers).

Upvote 0
When I use the scene browser menu, it shows a very small percentage of them. If I bring up the browse file menu, I can navigate that way. I guess I'll have to stop using the scene browser.

Thank you for the help

Upvote 0
OK, I'm actually getting an error for a bunch of these in Package Manager. It says ".1 meta file is not valid"

Any idea what that means?

Upvote 0
When I use the scene browser menu, it shows a very small percentage of them. If I bring up the browse file menu, I can navigate that way. I guess I'll have to stop using the scene browser.
Personally i don't use subfolders, tried it but didn't see any real benefit.
VAM itself has sort of filtering already.
If you are opening scene (inside browser) only packages with scene inside are listed (on the left).
If you are opening some preset only packages with xx/preset are listed, or subscene, plugin, sound, texture,...
OK, I'm actually getting an error for a bunch of these in Package Manager. It says ".1 meta file is not valid"
Invalid meta error can happen when installing package manually while VAM is running (after pressing "rescan" inside manager).
Usually restarting vam fixes it, since nothing appears wrong with meta.
I install all content manually and did run into this error few times.

I don't know if subfoldering has extra effect on it...especially if you are moving stuff while VAM is running.

Upvote 0
I restarted, but they're almost all giving that error. I did move it from a different VaM installation. Is there any known way to repair them?

Upvote 0
I restarted, but they're almost all giving that error. I did move it from a different VaM installation. Is there any known way to repair them?
Hmm...i hope your new client is not inside privilege protected folder or smth.
Moving package from one install to another shouldn't be an issue.
When i tested subfolders it worked just fine.

Maybe you can provide more info?
-are you moving stuff from 1.20.77.x client or from older (example:1.19)?
-how many subfolder "levels" you have, only 1 folder?
-did you use any special characters for folder names?
-can you provide full names of few packages that are showing those meta errors?

Upvote 0
I use subfolders in AddonsPackages as a way to organise my content. Usually they're 1 level deep, but one is 2 levels deep. Everything gets found in VaM just fine.
This choice of structure is purely file based, it doesn't make anything different in VaM, like in the scene browser.
As RandomVAMUser mentioned, make sure you're not in a restricted folder or weird stuff can happen.

Perhaps the error mentioned of a broken meta file could be a incorrectly made meta.json in a specific var? It's easy to miss a comma or parenthesis if making edits to a json.

Upvote 0
It's 90% of my vars giving this error now. I disabled caching and cleared the cache, but still getting the same errors. I'm going to have to wipe nearly my whole collection at this point. I'm at a loss for anything else to try

Upvote 0
It's 90% of my vars giving this error now. I disabled caching and cleared the cache, but still getting the same errors. I'm going to have to wipe nearly my whole collection at this point. I'm at a loss for anything else to try
Damn, 90% 😱

If you get a fresh new VAM, nothing extra added, it shows no errors, right? If so, add some of your VARs. Any errors pop up?

Upvote 0
I know I am a little late to the party but I wanted to share my experience for the benefit of anyone looking to clean up their package folder.

I do a lot of game modding and I always sort my plugins. Categorizing your assets takes a little extra effort, but the benefits of doing so can make your VAM experience more enjoyable in the long run. I have folders for most common var types: Base (default vars from fresh install), Characters, Clothes, CUA, Environment, Hair, Morphs, Plugins, Pose, Scenes, Textures and Working. Within these directories I have additional sub-folders listed by creator name. I've never had the need to go more than 2 folders deep.

I have enjoyed quite a few benefits. I can quickly find and remove redundant packages after upgrades are completed. I can temporarily move folders I will not be using when I launch VAM to shorten loading times. The plugin folder can get quite large over time, so I can quickly purge items I am no longer using. Having a "Working" folder is handy because I have a place to store and test additions before categorizing (or deleting) them. As you may know, all updates download to the ROOT of the AddonPackages folder so they are separate from the plugins you have in your directory tree. This has been a huge time saver for me because I know where everything is.

You should still be able to find things in the scene browser though traditional sort methods and because you categorized your vars, you will know exactly where to look for your asset bundles and other goodies you have collected over time. There is a nifty plugin called "Browser Assist" which is even better than the built-in browser which makes finding your content more intuitive.

Anyway, I apologize in advance for necro-bumping this old thread. I hope this helps someone who stumbles upon this =D

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom