Searchlight

Plugins Searchlight

ky1001

Featured Contributor
Reactions
ky1001 submitted a new resource:

Searchlight - InvisibleLight with Light Type as Spot can be used as a searchlight.

This plugin always points Atom to Target, so you can turn it into Searchlight by loading it into Invisible Light with Light Type as Spot.
I know that there is "prestigitis_aimConstrain.cs" in a similar plugin, but it hasn't been posted on the HUB, so I decided to publish this plugin.
Find a new way to use this plugin.

View attachment 92103

How to use:
Please load this plug-in on Atom that you want to always point to Target such as InvisibleLight, TV, UIButton.
Select Target in...

Read more about this resource...

a good plugin, but you need to add the ability to limit the axes and adjust the sensitivity so that the beam does not react to small movements.

a good plugin, but you need to add the ability to limit the axes and adjust the sensitivity so that the beam does not react to small movements.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will think about it.

I'm trying to implement a dead zone. Is there a scene that is just right for me to check the operation?

ky1001 updated Searchlight with a new update entry:

Update

Update:
Added a function that does not respond to small movements of Target. The non-reacting range (Dead Zone) is specified by the slider for each XYZ.
Addition of "Moving Factor" that suppresses movement because the follow-up changes greatly when the Plugin changes from a non-responsive state to a responsive state. There is no suppression when the Moving Factor is 1. The state of 0 has no follow-up.

New UI
View attachment 93128

Read the rest of this update entry...

Seems to me you can use this to imitate old-school 3D(rather 2D sprites set up to always face the camera)

Update

Update:
It turned out that the captured image rotates 90 degrees or 180 degrees when loaded on SpyCam 2.0, but since the previous version could not support it, a function that can directly set the vertical direction of Atom was added.
I intend to ensure compatibility with past versions, but if it does not work properly with scenes created in the past, please specify it again with "Vector 3 direction". If "Vector 3 up" is checked, it is "up", and if it is unchecked, it is "forward".

note...

Seems to me you can use this to imitate old-school 3D(rather 2D sprites set up to always face the camera)
I'm sorry. I'm not good at English, so I read it with Google Translate, but I can't understand it enough.

The function of this plugin is way more than it seems.
As far as I know, it works great with the plugin Embody(or Passenger) when I need to have a moving camera pointed to certain part of the person(e.g. head) when it reach a certain position I've set.

To achieve this, I only need 2 steps:
1. Drag the Animation Steps(green gear icons) which limit the route of the camera just anywhere and enable this plugin on it(certain step) so that it can search for the right spot to look at. And it continues searching for it forever.
2. Add a light or empty(any atom) & control it's path by Animation Pattern's Receiver & Receiver Atom options. Then enable Passenger or Embody on it.

or even simpler just 1 step:
1. Add the plugin Searchlight & Embody(or Passenger) to the same Empty atom. & turn Embody(or Passenger) on. This way I have a camera pointing to something anytime(selfie stick effect)

Very simple combination can do a lot of interesting things.
Guess there're many other uses to explore. Great Plugin, indeed. The real-time searching ability is a very strong one. The plugin Lumination has the same real-time pointing ability, but I'd say Searchlight is much easier to use & it can be used on literally any atoms, which is fantastic.

The function of this plugin is way more than it seems.
As far as I know, it works great with the plugin Embody(or Passenger) when I need to have a moving camera pointed to certain part of the person(e.g. head) when it reach a certain position I've set.

To achieve this, I only need 2 steps:
1. Drag the Animation Steps(green gear icons) which limit the route of the camera just anywhere and enable this plugin on it(certain step) so that it can search for the right spot to look at. And it continues searching for it forever.
2. Add a light or empty(any atom) & control it's path by Animation Pattern's Receiver & Receiver Atom options. Then enable Passenger or Embody on it.

or even simpler just 1 step:
1. Add the plugin Searchlight & Embody(or Passenger) to the same Empty atom. & turn Embody(or Passenger) on. This way I have a camera pointing to something anytime(selfie stick effect)

Very simple combination can do a lot of interesting things.
Guess there're many other uses to explore. Great Plugin, indeed. The real-time searching ability is a very strong one. The plugin Lumination has the same real-time pointing ability, but I'd say Searchlight is much easier to use & it can be used on literally any atoms, which is fantastic.
In the demo scene of this plugin, I loaded the Passenger plugin into Invisible Light. As you said, I could easily get an interesting effect!

I'm sorry. I'm not good at English, so I read it with Google Translate, but I can't understand it enough.
It's admittedly a little esoteric TBH, but it's basically a cheap way to make a 3D environment with 2D images with fewer resources than 3D assets would require.

Apparently it's called "Billboarding"? And it used to be used in the earliest first-person shooters, like the early Wolfenstein and Doom games.

Here's a Youtube video demonstrating doing it directly in unity

It's admittedly a little esoteric TBH, but it's basically a cheap way to make a 3D environment with 2D images with fewer resources than 3D assets would require.

Apparently it's called "Billboarding"? And it used to be used in the earliest first-person shooters, like the early Wolfenstein and Doom games.

Here's a Youtube video demonstrating doing it directly in unity
I finally understood. Thank you very much. It's certainly the same movement.

So I did this quick and lazy, but I had an idea to use this plugin to give a character a moving 3rd eye.

Attachments

• 3rd Eye, initial concept.jpg
    3rd Eye, initial concept.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 0

Update

Updates (ver.9):
1) Incorporated a countermeasure against the phenomenon that Atom rotates around the Z axis when the viewpoint is moved when the target is set to [CameraRig]. For this countermeasure, I referred to the exchanges between @JayJayWon and @OnePunchVAM on Discord and OnePunchVAM's FaceCamera. Thank you both.
To enable this function, set Target Atom to [CameraRig] and check "Keep Horizontal to Camera". You can choose any Target Receiver.
2) I...

A terrifying thing is that when a sub scene equipped with searchlight atoms is called for use in a new scene, the atoms will only rotate towards the target direction from the old scene in memory, rather than targeting the new characters in the scene

step1:Add searchlight to the atoms in the scene and target character A
step2:Save the atom as a sub scene
step3:Add a sub scene in the new scene, and no rotation can be made here. Otherwise, after calling the sub scene saved in step 2, the atoms in the sub scene will no longer be aligned with the characters in this scene,and reloading searchlight on the atoms is also invalid。

Last edited:
A terrifying thing is that when a sub scene equipped with searchlight atoms is called for use in a new scene, the atoms will only rotate towards the target direction from the old scene in memory, rather than targeting the new characters in the scene

step1:Add searchlight to the atoms in the scene and target character A
step2:Save the atom as a sub scene
step3:Add a sub scene in the new scene, and no rotation can be made here. Otherwise, after calling the sub scene saved in step 2, the atoms in the sub scene will no longer be aligned with the characters in this scene,and reloading searchlight on the atoms is also invalid。
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.
Is it a problem that this plugin outputs an error if a TargetAtom with the same name as when the SubScene was saved does not exist in the new Scene?
I created a modified script so that if a TargetAtom with the same name does not exist when a SubScene is loaded in a new Scene, the TargetAtom selection is set to "None" so that an error does not occur. Please check it if you like.

Attachments

• Searchlight.cs
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.
Is it a problem that this plugin outputs an error if a TargetAtom with the same name as when the SubScene was saved does not exist in the new Scene?
I created a modified script so that if a TargetAtom with the same name does not exist when a SubScene is loaded in a new Scene, the TargetAtom selection is set to "None" so that an error does not occur. Please check it if you like.
After verification, the problem can be accurately described as follows: loading the plugin searchlight on an animation node "AnimationPatternStep1" aims at the target, and the function is normal at this time. When rotating the "AnimationPattern" ontology, AnimationPatternStep1 cannot automatically aim at the target. Loading the plugin onto the atoms in the subscene, and the problem with rotating the subscene is the same

Last edited:
After verification, the problem can be accurately described as follows: loading the plugin searchlight on an animation node "AnimationPatternStep1" aims at the target, and the function is normal at this time. When rotating the "AnimationPattern" ontology, AnimationPatternStep1 cannot automatically aim at the target. Loading the plugin onto the atoms in the subscene, and the problem with rotating the subscene is the same
I have confirmed the phenomenon regarding rotation of AnimationPattern.
It seems that the reason is that the rotation of the parent side is not considered when applying the plug-in to the child side of Atom set as parent and child.
I think that the same problem occurs because SubScene is also a parent and child.
I will try to find a solution, but it may take some time.
Try using the Parent Atom's rotation at (0,0,0) until it's resolved.

I found that the Atom rotation, which should have been calculated as a global rotation value, was calculated as a local rotation value.
I fixed it, so please check it.

Attachments

• Searchlight.cs
    17 KB · Views: 0
I have a suggestion that you should add a parameter when tracking the target, set a threshold, and do not turn (or slowly turn to track) when you do not deviate from the target threshold, beyond which you can track the precise position of the target.

Back
Top Bottom