Question RTX3060 vs RTX3070 for VAM

Johninvr

Reactions
Thanks for all the help from this great community!

With GPU prices beginning to stabilize I think I’ve narrowed down my choice of GPUs to either the RTX3060 or RTX3070.

there is nearly a $500 difference between the two when getting a new PC. With regards to VAM specifically, is the juice worth the squeeze?

From what I’ve read here the bottleneck in performance typically comes from the CPU, not the GPU.

From the videos I’ve watched on YouTube I can only see a slight performance difference between the two, but I have no idea how that would translate on VR or more specifically VAM in VR. What do you guys recommend?

Lastly, any thoughts on a Dell Alienware system? Everything else I’ve been pricing out has been a PowerSpec.

With VaM's well known CPU bottleneck, you probably wont see a lot of difference between the two.

Today.

But VaM 2.0 is on the way, which promises to remove the CPU physics bottleneck. This time next year, those extra CUDA cores (RTX 3070 has 5888, the RTX 3060 has 3584) might make a big difference.

Really it comes down to what you're willing to spend right now. The 3070 will likely serve you better for longer.

Upvote 0
With VaM's well known CPU bottleneck, you probably wont see a lot of difference between the two.

Today.

But VaM 2.0 is on the way, which promises to remove the CPU physics bottleneck. This time next year, those extra CUDA cores (RTX 3070 has 5888, the RTX 3060 has 3584) might make a big difference.

Really it comes down to what you're willing to spend right now. The 3070 will likely serve you better for longer.

Thanks DJ, with prices the way they are I’m leaning towards getting a rig that is easily upgradable and just going with a 3060, then holding out for the 40 series in the years to come. The rumor mill about the upcoming 40s are insane, supposedly doubling the power of the 30 series cards.

Thanks again for the input, it helps knowing that I likely won’t get a big performance boost out of the two inside VAM. Probably saved me about $400!

Upvote 0
Thanks DJ, with prices the way they are I’m leaning towards getting a rig that is easily upgradable and just going with a 3060, then holding out for the 40 series in the years to come. The rumor mill about the upcoming 40s are insane, supposedly doubling the power of the 30 series cards.

Thanks again for the input, it helps knowing that I likely won’t get a big performance boost out of the two inside VAM. Probably saved me about $400!

Not sure Dell would be "easly
Thanks for all the help from this great community!

With GPU prices beginning to stabilize I think I’ve narrowed down my choice of GPUs to either the RTX3060 or RTX3070.

there is nearly a $500 difference between the two when getting a new PC. With regards to VAM specifically, is the juice worth the squeeze?

From what I’ve read here the bottleneck in performance typically comes from the CPU, not the GPU.

From the videos I’ve watched on YouTube I can only see a slight performance difference between the two, but I have no idea how that would translate on VR or more specifically VAM in VR. What do you guys recommend?

Lastly, any thoughts on a Dell Alienware system? Everything else I’ve been pricing out has been a PowerSpec.

If you want easily upgradable I'd avoid anything HP or Dell, higher chance of some proprietary parts / hot case etc. Watch Gamers Nexus pre built reviews. LOL

I've heard decent things about buildredux for pre built. Never used a prebuilt myself though (always self build).

Upvote 0
While you may not see an increase in FPS between the two you would notice a graphical difference, the 3070 will run better on a higher setting or not stress so hard for middle settings. I have a 3080 and where I only got a slight FPS increase coming from a 2070 super the Image is WAY better I can turn it to max and the girls look amazing but FPS drops to 35.

Upvote 0

I agree with Dre, I would avoid anything prebuilt like Dell or HP. You are better off spending the money on the box you want with the cooling capabilities you need (never too many fans!!! lol), a mother board that will also support the next gen of chips, decently fast memory (32G is good, 64G is better), and at least one M.2 PCIE drive for VAM. I recently moved VAM off a regular internal SSD drive to a new NVME PCIe M.2 drive and it made a huge difference with loading times.

This way you can skimp where you want based on your budget rather than skimping where that builder wants to skimp. The most expensive part is the GPU anyway so you are 2/3 of the way there :)

Upvote 0
As you may already have read in another thread I have the 3080. I had the 1080ti. In between (1080ti was defect) I had a 2070S(uper).

These are the three I recommend. Price/performance was the best BEFORE Corona in my eyes. Prices now are just insane.
But if you can get a 2070S, which is in the same performance range as a 1080ti, get one and wait. Or get a 3080, new. No mining-crap. I would never buy a used 3080 or whatever in this times right now. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I would agree self -built is the way to go, especially if you're trying to get the most performance for the least money. Use PCpartPicker to help figure it out. Select a build that looks about right, then, if you want, tweak it here or there to suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom