Answered Looks vs. appearance

• Thread starter Deleted member 1503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1503

So my understanding is "looks" is a legacy (older version of VAM) and Appearance Preset is the new? Is this correct?

Which do people use to save the quick change "appearance presets"? Also why didn't VAM combine & convert the legacy stuff if so?

@JayJayWon wrote an excellent guide for this: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/preset-definitions.189/

As to the why, it's usually the same answer: there's so much that can be done in any given time :) And breaking older looks isn't really an option.

Ya I saw the guide (very nice). Per what it says Appearance is the new one and Looks is the old (legacy). Just seems really odd to have 2 things that do the exact same thing with different folders and names (just like the crap software my work has with lots of double entry and old legacy work LOL).

/rant

:)

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand that. Backward compatibility's a pain, but just making buttons and features disappear is usually worse! An improvement could be to move those buttons in a "legacy" tab then the UI has to be re-arranged and it's all time not spent on 2.0 :p

Upvote 0
Looks and appearance dont quite do the same thing. One of the problems with Look presets is they broke a lot of plugins (mine included) - mainly due to the way plugin authors implemented them, but it was a common problem. e.g. not tracking atom renaming.

Upvote 0
Looks and appearance dont quite do the same thing. One of the problems with Look presets is they broke a lot of plugins (mine included) - mainly due to the way plugin authors implemented them, but it was a common problem. e.g. not tracking atom renaming.

Thanks jay for the clarification. I've been using the appearance ones (when making presets) and avoiding looks (since legacy). Your guide was helpful (as are you). :)

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand that. Backward compatibility's a pain, but just making buttons and features disappear is usually worse! An improvement could be to move those buttons in a "legacy" tab then the UI has to be re-arranged and it's all time not spent on 2.0 :p

I'll stick to Financial reporting, programing goes right over my wee little brain. Thanks for the replies though :p

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom