Request: Q&A section being the same formate like other sections.

TToby

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
The Question & Answer section is the only one with a combination of upvote/downvote arrows and like/dislike emojis.

First point: Obviously (thinking of a recent occurrence), those upvote/downvote arrows reminds people too much of the Reddit voting system, where some people just give their "answers" by voting instead of really answering and discussing.
At the starting of the VAM-Hub, we were discussing the voting-system, and I confess I wasn't completely sure abot how to do it, too.
From that time on, the Hub has taken a different route like Reddit. Instead of Reddit, that is often called "toxic" and "rude", the Hub has established a very calm and adult culture of discussing things and helping others. IMHO we should take this development into account and remove the Reddit-like "upvote/downvote" from the Q&A.

Second point: Obviously most users are confused about how to close a question correctly, including myself. This leads to that disastrous forum statistic we have at the moment. (You can find it at the "Forums" starting page on the lower right side if you scroll down).
555 reportedly "unanswered questions" to only 52 "answered questions" doesn't looks good at all. IMHO this shows we don't really need that system, because most of us users doesn't make use of it.

Third point: Because most users doesn't have taken over the forum structure as it were formally suggested, they are posting questions throughout all the other forum sections, too. IMHO it is too late to change this.
Therefore IMHO it doesn't make any sense to keep one forum section being different from all the others. This is only confusing.

I don't get why there's a "Questions & Answers" and a "Help" forum. If I need help, I come up with a question. If I have a question, I need help. :unsure:

Regarding the voting system, I don't understand it. I'm not on reddit so I'm not used to this but voting something up or down is totally destroying any context, useless in my eyes. And is stirring up conflicts or lets say bad feelings. I like the "like button", enough for me.

I'm partly to blame for that. I thought (and still think) a place to find clear questions and clear answers for future users would be beneficial, for example check how Stack Overflow became hugely helpful in the software field with a model like this. But what I realized since then is how much moderation this requires... something no one has time to do or care enough about.

But it would still be nice to "make it work" so that when you find a question, you can just look at the answer instead of reading through tons of unrelated posts before and after what happens to be the actual answer.

Back
Top Bottom