• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Question Recommendations for upgrade?

garibaldi18

Reactions
Hi all,

I would like to improve the performance of VAM on my PC and would love to know how to get the most bang for my buck. I hope to spend $500 or less. Here are my details:

Intel i7-7700 up to 4.2 gHz Lga 1151
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
32 GB Ram
SSD
MSI Bazooka B250M
VR Headset is a Quest 3

PC Hardware is not my forte and I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the options. Hopefully this is enough info to recommend whether I should get a better CPU, GPU, or something else (hopefully not both!). I greatly appreciate any tips.

your gpu is not the model "super"? anyway I remember my system with the i7 7700/gtx1070 and its performance with vam. It was not so bad. What you can do with the actual motherboard (B250)? you can "just" change gpu ... but not worth if you consider the way vam stresses amd/cpu processors on single core max power and that probably your pc has not a good power supply unit (psu) or an ideal air flow in the case. So, no way: do not waste money and buy a new computer. You can start to see a significant difference with 2/3 generations more actual components. As you play with quest3 (through VirtualDesktop) you better stay on intel/nvidia system.

ps: if you are italian and you can pass from Florence I have still perfect like new i7-12700 (not k) and a MSI 3080 12GB in my list for selling. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
your gpu is not the model "super"? anyway I remember my system with the i7 7700/gtx1070 and its performance with vam. It was not so bad. What you can do with the actual motherboard (B250)? you can "just" change gpu ... but not worth if you consider the way vam stresses amd/cpu processors on single core max power and that probably your pc has not a good power supply unit (psu) or an ideal air flow in the case. So, no way: do not waste money and buy a new computer. You can start to see a significant difference with 2/3 generations more actual components. As you play with quest3 (through VirtualDesktop) you better stay on intel/nvidia system.

ps: if you are italian and you can pass from Florence I have still perfect like new i7-12700 (not k) and a MSI 3080 12GB in my list for selling. :)
Thanks for thoughts. Sadly I will need more than gpu. I’d buy your cpu but Florence is a few thousand km away! Grazie :)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom