Question Possible to import Morphs from XPS models?

BStarG2

Reactions
Hey guys, not sure where to ask this but I'll try here:

I'd like to give some character specific morphs (body morphs mostly but in some cases head morphs too) from models with the XPS format.

I imagine (but not knowing for sure hence why I ask) that the process would be something like:

1) Import XPS model into Blender or maybe DAZ3D.
2) Somehow, by some method, save the 'full' character Morph (or if possible, only a portion of the body, not the head, or the head only and not the body, etc)
3) Turn that into a .VAR file (I assume)
4) In VAM, load the Morph to the character Atom and boom, done (if... IF it is that simple obviously... which I assume it isn't).

Would something like that be possible at all? Or maybe it's already possible from a Plugin that I'm not aware of as of now? (*If so, please do let me know)

If there's a guide out there (one that already exists for doing exactly what I need here) please also let me know, I'd greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

Close. Import the model into daz, turn it into a genesis 2 full body morph.

Then just copy that morph file to Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs\female and you're done.

You only need to make a var if you want to share it.

Upvote 0
Ok thank you, a bit simpler than I thought. I'll give it a try in the coming days for sure, ty again.

Upvote 0
Hi again.

So finally found some time to look more into this.

1) It seems that DAZ does not support direct Import of .XPS models... BUT...
2) It's possible to save the .XPS model (directly inside XNALara itself) as a 'Scene' into the .MTL format, so I tried that.
3) That saved .MTL Scene loaded fine in DAZ

Now, at this point, I'm not sure if the rest would work (because it's not directly an XPS model but... I guess it's ok since the model did load correctly anyway).

If it would work though I'm still kinda 'stuck' for the " Turn the model into a Genesis 2 full body Morph " part.

That one specific part... I know nothing about. I checked on Google and, so far, they're all video guides that lead to importing the models into Blender, some of them even talk about Sculpting which I don't want to do.

Is there a known 'Turn a non-Genesis 2 full morph into a full Genesis 2 full morph for VAM purposes' guide somewhere I could look into you might have the link for?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
If the xps model you started with is not a genesis2 model, you will not be able to do it directly because the models have different vertices and topology, so daz cannot use the updated vertex positions to create the morph for you. You will need to go the sculpting route in blender. It will be simpler than doing it by eye, as you have a model that you can scale and overlay over the top to sculpt to. Don't add or remove any vertices, just use the grab and smooth brushes to sculpt the model to the shape you want.
It seems complex at first, but there are some really useful guides that go through the whole process step by step with images like this one by MalMorality.

There is a plugin to load Xps or Xna models directly, but they will just be static, not atoms. I think there is a way to adjust the models rigging, but It's basically for background characters and seems more complicated to me that just making the morph to use with the built in person atom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom