PosingHelper

Plugins PosingHelper

Ruvik updated PosingHelper with a new update entry:

bug fix

fixed

!> Compile of Ruvik.PosingHelper.23:/Custom/Scripts/Ruvik/ph.cslist failed. Errors:
!> [CS1061]: Type `SuperController' does not contain a definition for `MainHUDVisible' and no extension method `MainHUDVisible' of type `SuperController' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference? in <Unknown> at [185, 64]
it should be working on now

Read the rest of this update entry...

Sorry didn't know there was a new update. I have heard that MeshedVR is no longer going to release updates for the old VAM. Symmetry works.
yeah most people never check their VamUpdater.exe, that's why i just released a version that should hopefully work on older versions.
great. no idea why it didn't ,but great.

The UI is now invisible. It only shows up when I select main menu. If I have atom or node/control selected, it disappears.

Also, would it be possible for symmetrization to happen only for selected nodes, and only when I start editing their position/rotation? Right now, it happens instantly when I select atom to edit. So if I forget to untoggle the Symmetry button beforehand (which is often) it completely ruins my pose :(

Also, would it be possible for symmetrization to happen only for selected nodes, and only when I start editing their position/rotation? Right now, it happens instantly when I select atom to edit. So if I forget to untoggle the Symmetry button beforehand (which is often) it completely ruins my pose :(
no problem. i guess symmetry should've worked this way from the beginning. also you can undo changes made pre symmetrization with keybindings plugin

Sin título.jpg

Is there something I don't have or something like that?
.22 Version works just fine tho

Hello! I've got invested in this plugin, so I'm bringing suggestions and gifts :)

1. Start it hidden. I have it loaded as a session plugin and don't like how I always have to disable it when I turn on VaM.

2. Expand local and cam relative positioning with global, where I could position nodes relative to absolute scene x/y/z coordinates. Switching through these with a toggle is a bit annoying though, so how about removing the toggle completely, and implementing:
- normal button drag for local
- shift button drag for cam relative
- ctrl button drag for global (scene relative)

3. Right click on node button to select it in VaM, and shift+right click to focus. The current focus/select buttons are weird to use.

4. Middle click on the button to copy it's position from the opposite side, and shift+middle click to swap. This would make all 6 Copy and Swap buttons in the sidebar not needed anymore, and also provide more granularity since now we can copy/swap individual nodes.

5a. Ability to set position and rotation states separately, and also visualize which ones are currently active if only one node is selected. This basically (screenshot with old buttons, just for illustration):

ph_node_control.png

5b. I miss the ability to move in 2 directions at the same time (x+y, x+z, y+z), so I'd like to propose an improved gizmos. Would gizmos like these be possible to implement?

ph_gizmos_preview.png

When grabbing the button between x and y, change x based on horizontal cursor movement, and y on vertical. Similar for other 2 combo buttons.

Alternatively, you could only have one (left) gizmo, and change rotation when holding Alt. So alt+drag for local rotation, alt+shift+drag for cam rotation, alt+ctrl+drag for global rotation. This would make space for some buttons on the side maybe.

It could also become the plugin icon:

ph_icon.jpg

The gizmo source materials are here (can't attach zip files in this forum for some reason): https://anonfiles.com/jb23ecr9z1/ph_assets_zip

6. I'd like to create a skeleton IK link where all nodes are linked from one or multiple specific nodes. Here's how I'd envision it to work:
- if I select a node and click "IK link", it will grow link chain for the rest of the body from that node
- if no node is selected, it'll grow from hip
- if I select multiple nodes, it'll ON these nodes and grow links from them until they meet, and rest of the body from there
- if I select 2 nodes next to each other, it'll just link 1st one to 2nd one, as it does now, but also mirroring the link if symmetry is on

With "IK Link" button working like this, you wouldn't need "Set Link" anymore.

Currently, IK link grows from 2 nodes (abdomen, hip), which messes up my posing since I usually want specific node(s) to be ON, and everything else to parent chain from that.

7. I want IK link to only "Parent Link" the rotations, and leave positions as "OFF". I find this to be a better setup to pose. It could be done by holding shift when pressing the "IK Link" button.

8. I think it'd be more intuitive if node selection worked like file selection does in file explorers. Mainly, if there are multiple nodes selected, and I click one of them without any modifier, that one should be selected, and the rest deselected. Currently, the opposite happens, and I always have to click the node again to select it. The current behavior should happen only if I'm holding down the modifier, just as in file explorers.

Last edited:
Hello! I've got invested in this plugin, so I'm bringing suggestions and gifts :)

1. Start it hidden. I have it loaded as a session plugin and don't like how I always have to disable it when I turn on VaM.

2. Expand local and cam relative positioning with global, where I could position nodes relative to absolute scene x/y/z coordinates. Switching through these with a toggle is a bit annoying though, so how about removing the toggle completely, and implementing:
- normal button drag for local
- shift button drag for cam relative
- ctrl button drag for global (scene relative)

3. Right click on node button to select it in VaM, and shift+right click to focus. The current focus/select buttons are weird to use.

4. Middle click on the button to copy it's position from the opposite side, and shift+middle click to swap. This would make all 6 Copy and Swap buttons in the sidebar not needed anymore, and also provide more granularity since now we can copy/swap individual nodes.

5. Ability to set position and rotation states separately, and also visualize which ones are currently active if only one node is selected. This basically (screenshot with old buttons, just for illustration):

View attachment 244597

5. I miss the ability to move in 2 directions at the same time (x+y, x+z, y+z), so I'd like to propose an improved gizmos. Would gizmos like these be possible to implement?

View attachment 244606

When grabbing the button between x and y, change x based on horizontal cursor movement, and y on vertical. Similar for other 2 combo buttons.

Alternatively, you could only have one (left) gizmo, and change rotation when holding Alt. So alt+drag for local rotation, alt+shift+drag for cam rotation, alt+ctrl+drag for global rotation. This would make space for some buttons on the side maybe.

It could also become the plugin icon:

View attachment 244599

The gizmo source materials are here (can't attach zip files in this forum for some reason): https://anonfiles.com/jb23ecr9z1/ph_assets_zip

6. I'd like to create a skeleton IK link where all nodes are linked from one or multiple specific nodes. Here's how I'd envision it to work:
- if I select a node and click "IK link", it will grow link chain for the rest of the body from that node
- if no node is selected, it'll grow from hip
- if I select multiple nodes, it'll ON these nodes and grow links from them until they meet, and rest of the body from there
- if I select 2 nodes next to each other, it'll just link 1st one to 2nd one, as it does now, but also mirroring the link if symmetry is on

With "IK Link" button working like this, you wouldn't need "Set Link" anymore.

Currently, IK link grows from 2 nodes (abdomen, hip), which messes up my posing since I usually want specific node(s) to be ON, and everything else to parent chain from that.

7. I want IK link to only "Parent Link" the rotations, and leave positions as "OFF". I find this to be a better setup to pose. It could be done by holding shift when pressing the "IK Link" button.
honestly i was smiling the whole time while reading this. that was amazing and thanks for the assets i'll definitely use those.

1 - no problem just a simple true to false

2- I agree with introducing a third movement alignment, but i would like to also make it toggle able through the plugin UI (that way it alignments rotate every time you click the button)

3- great idea. i don't even know why it didn't occur to me while creating it. I guess you need to sometimes take a step back and review the functionality instead of accepting it as the absolute best way.

4- same as the point before.

5-I am not sure yet how plausible this is, but it sounds like a great idea once it's realized. also i think I'll go with one gizmo (the first one) and to rotate simply use the right click.

6- here's possible problems with with this point
- if every node eventually links to a single node (instead of having a top and a bottom group) the center node will act like the main controller ( moving it will move the entire character),unless you set any node to hold or lock.
- say I select right and left shoulders. what should the chest node link to? also say I choose chest and abdomen1 .the chest chain will end at the hip while the abd1 ends at the pelvis? Am I getting this correctly?
- also say i select abd1 and pelvis. they are neighbors, but what would that be as if the body got separated into two groups upper(pelvis and above) and lower(abd1 and lower) corretct?

7- no problem.

I'm really excited to start working on this, but I'm gonna need to finish my finals before coding this. that being said I could create some UI sketches and PM you results if that's ok with you. I'm horrible at designing stuff and I'm getting the sense that you might know a thing or two about good looking , intuitive designs.
btw the new plugin icon looks sick.

2- I agree with introducing a third movement alignment, but i would like to also make it toggle able through the plugin UI (that way it alignments rotate every time you click the button)

Sure, but make the alignments also available via modifiers, as that's way faster to work with than always toggling a button.

- if every node eventually links to a single node (instead of having a top and a bottom group) the center node will act like the main controller ( moving it will move the entire character),unless you set any node to hold or lock.

Yes! That's expected, and I'd argue a feature :) I want to be able to rotate the character around a specific node instead of doing it with main control, then re-aligning, then disconnecting the control from body, removing rotation from main control, and reconnecting it, which is what I have to do now.

- say I select right and left shoulders. what should the chest node link to? also say I choose chest and abdomen1 .the chest chain will end at the hip while the abd1 ends at the pelvis? Am I getting this correctly?
- also say i select abd1 and pelvis. they are neighbors, but what would that be as if the body got separated into two groups upper(pelvis and above) and lower(abd1 and lower) corretct?

This made me realize my IK linking proposal has a lot of logical holes. So here's a hopefully more robust one:

- when creating IK link, user can select 0, 1, or 2 nodes
- when 0 nodes are selected, chain starts from hip, which is made on/on, and links the rest of the body from there
- when 1 node is selected, that node is made on/on, and chain starts from there, linking the rest of the body from it
- when 2 nodes are selected, 1st selected node is left as is, untouched, and creates a child chain from 1st to 2nd. Example: 1st=pelvis, 2nd=left foot, pelvis is left untouched, left thigh is parented to the pelvis, left knee is parented to the left thigh, left foot is parented to the left knee.
- behavior for more than 2 selected nodes is undefined, and nothing should happen

This should allow us to quickly create any IK link configuration we want.

Also, I've remembered one more gripe I have with selecting nodes, so:

8. I think it'd be more intuitive if node selection worked like file selection does in file explorers. Mainly, if there are multiple nodes selected, and I click one of them without any modifier, that one should be selected, and the rest deselected. Currently, the opposite happens, and I always have to click the node again to select it. The current behavior should happen only if I'm holding down the modifier, just as in file explorers.

Last edited:
Sure, but make the alignments also available via modifiers, as that's way faster to work with than always toggling a button.

Yes! That's expected, and I'd argue a feature :) I want to be able to rotate the character around a specific node instead of doing it with main control, then re-aligning, then disconnecting the control from body, removing rotation from main control, and reconnecting it, which is what I have to do now.

This made me realize my IK linking proposal has a lot of logical holes. So here's a hopefully more robust one:

- when creating IK link, user can select 0, 1, or 2 nodes
- when 0 nodes are selected, chain starts from hip, which is made on/on, and links the rest of the body from there
- when 1 node is selected, that node is made on/on, and chain starts from there, linking the rest of the body from it
- when 2 nodes are selected, 1st selected node is made on/on, and chains nodes from 1st to 2nd
- behavior for more than 2 selected nodes is undefined, and nothing should happen

This should allow us to quickly create any IK link configuration we want.

Also, I've remembered one more gripe I have with selecting nodes, so:

yes the three way toggle button will be added in addition to the keyboard shortcut.

sure if that's what people do no problem. for some reason i find that posing this way is actually harder, but i haven't tested it enough.

the whole linking business seems solid on paper, but I'll have to actually implement it to see where I might face problems. for example I think I'm gonna need to come up with an algorithm to generate the most optimal path from one node to the other , or i could just limit the two nodes linking to work only if both nodes are on the same side ( left , center and right) , well have to see when I get there.

and yeah now that you mentioned it , it only removing the selected node from the selection list feels like a bug.

or i could just limit the two nodes linking to work only if both nodes are on the same side ( left , center and right) , well have to see when I get there.

Nono, it'll have to be a simple path finding algorithm. Otherwise we can't set up poses like standing on one hand, where I on/on a hand, and then create IK link from it to the opposite foot, and then the rest of the body.

This makes me tweak the IK link behavior when 2 nodes are selected: don't on/on the first one, leave it untouched as is, and child link from it to the 2nd one, otherwise it overwrites existing links. We can on/on stuff ourselves. Example when creating hand stand IK link: I IK link from left hand to right foot, then from chest to right hand, ... in this case the chest should stay as is and not get on/on, or it'll break the current link chain.

The reset pose button does not correctly reset the pose. Because of this, IK Link stops working correctly.

The reset pose button does not correctly reset the pose. Because of this, IK Link stops working correctly.
I've been trying to recreate this for like 30 minutes. i guess bugs don't happen when you want them to.
can you try recreating this bug and telling me how ?
the reset button does a very simple reset on every controller, so i don't see a room for error there.

I've been trying to recreate this for like 30 minutes. i guess bugs don't happen when you want them to.
can you try recreating this bug and telling me how ?
the reset button does a very simple reset on every controller, so i don't see a room for error there.

It looks like I figured out what my problem is.
Example:
Symmetry and IK Link included. Selected L.Thigh.
I do a reset. I turn on IK Link again and try to rotate the selected L. Thigh along the X axis.
The Pelvis is spinning. The whole character is spinning.

But if, after the reset, select another joint or click on the left / right arrow next to the character's name. That all works fine.

And from previous versions, I noticed that Undo sometimes restores not the last action. Jumps to the penultimate action. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I have another Undo / Redo plugin.

Last edited:
I turn on IK Link again

IK Link creates a parent link chain, making the currently selected node the center. So you've just made your L.Thigh the center of the link/body chain, and moving/rotating it will move/rotate the whole body, since every other node is parent chained to it. You can check the chain and which node is the center (green square) by displaying node visualizations in VaM (T key).

Read help window on how IK Link button works. It has different behaviors based on what is currently selected.

@Ruvik were these removed from the latest version? I can't find them on the UI or in the new overview:

added a focus toggle in the screen UI
. added two toggles in the plugin UI (for the default focus functionality leave them both checked)
. toggle the focus to focus on any body part you select.

@Ruvik were these removed from the latest version? I can't find them on the UI or in the new overview:

added a focus toggle in the screen UI
. added two toggles in the plugin UI (for the default focus functionality leave them both checked)
. toggle the focus to focus on any body part you select.
they are both still in the plugin the select is done through right clicking any body part and for the focus shift + right click.
everything is mentioned in the help menu in the pluginUI and i will make a video to explain everything and post it in the overview soon.

@Ruvik Thanks for the explanation. Now I'm torn because the latest versions genius creative ascetic setup is the best of them, but I thoroughly loved the way the prior version simply had the focus and select toggle buttons where now we have to perform extra mouse actions to focus and select....I know the tremendous effort you sweated and bloodied the production of this version, but I'd easily pay for that focus and selection toggle buttons feature to come to the latest version as these two we easily the most useful and time saving functions I only thought of once a session to enable them.

Although I'm not a coder, maybe I can take part of the code from the older version and migrate it over to the new version so the focus and select toggles are present, is that possible for me to do so you dont have to put any more effort into this version for one whiney dude? Sorry about my feedback, I hope you don't think it's negative, just a feature request. I can't play vam period without this life and time saving tool so thank you very much for it.

@Ruvik Thanks for the explanation. Now I'm torn because the latest versions genius creative ascetic setup is the best of them, but I thoroughly loved the way the prior version simply had the focus and select toggle buttons where now we have to perform extra mouse actions to focus and select....I know the tremendous effort you sweated and bloodied the production of this version, but I'd easily pay for that focus and selection toggle buttons feature to come to the latest version as these two we easily the most useful and time saving functions I only thought of once a session to enable them.

Although I'm not a coder, maybe I can take part of the code from the older version and migrate it over to the new version so the focus and select toggles are present, is that possible for me to do so you dont have to put any more effort into this version for one whiney dude? Sorry about my feedback, I hope you don't think it's negative, just a feature request. I can't play vam period without this life and time saving tool so thank you very much for it.
the previous approach had two main problems. A say you wanted to see a bones UI without modifying the selected nodes that was impossible to do previously.B you were forced to remember to turn it off everytime you were done with viewing the UI. sometimes i forget and click another node, need to wait a bit for the UI to appear so i can disable the selection toggle and get back to posing. i believe this is the better approach, and you should give it sometime and try to familiarize your self with it.
sadly modifying the code won't bring it back. you would need to create a new UI menu using unity and run a script to add functionality to these button.
if people prefer the old way, i'll add those two buttons back in an update with the option to hide or show them.

Sounds fair @Ruvik - I guess let's ask the group:

Anyone else who uses the previous version's focus and select toggle buttons right off the menu prefer that over the new click and shift click way?

1685034641471.png

Back
Top Bottom