Poor performance after updating to the newest version of VAM

enterlance

Reactions
Hi, I've been messing around with VAM since 2020, and my first setup was on my laptop, which runs 16G RAM and a GTX 1660S. Vam looked great back then and I was getting 30ish FPS.
With a recent upgrade, my PC spec got improved (5900X+6800XT) and I couldn't be more excited about how VAM will run on the new PC.
Surprisingly, some scenes had no difference and some scenes (especially those with mirrors) run poorer than before. I was shocked and thought to myself that must be AMD's problem. So I recent borrowed a friend's 3070(8G VRAM) to test it out. It did not get improved at all, if not worse.
Since I was running a pretty old version of VAM, I decided to update it to the newest version and hope that could fix the RAM problem (VAM is eating up my RAM about ~20G). However, instead of fixing the issue, now I cannot even run still scenes with lowest setting possible over like 5FPS.
What would be the issue here? Could someone help me to identify the problem? It is worth mentioning that I have a pretty noticeably huge VAM folder (~90G) if that'd help.

Please share me your wisdom!

1. Having a huge VaM folder, especially having a large number of morphs is well known to slow down VaM considerably. Try with a fresh and emtpy VaM install, just the scene you actually want to run.
  2. Run the Benchmark scene/plugin, make sure to follow the instructions so you get comparable results. There is a discussion thread, see if there are other people with similar PCs and whether your results are in the expected range. Make sure to not compare results of Benchmark versions 1 or 2 with the newer versions, as there were some changes that affect results. Post your own results in the thread, the next person with the same issue will be happy to have more data.
  3. Run some proper gaming benchmarks (e.g. 3DMark) and compare with online results to see whether something is wrong with your machine.

Hi, I've been messing around with VAM since 2020, and my first setup was on my laptop, which runs 16G RAM and a GTX 1660S. Vam looked great back then and I was getting 30ish FPS.
With a recent upgrade, my PC spec got improved (5900X+6800XT) and I couldn't be more excited about how VAM will run on the new PC.
Surprisingly, some scenes had no difference and some scenes (especially those with mirrors) run poorer than before. I was shocked and thought to myself that must be AMD's problem. So I recent borrowed a friend's 3070(8G VRAM) to test it out. It did not get improved at all, if not worse.
Since I was running a pretty old version of VAM, I decided to update it to the newest version and hope that could fix the RAM problem (VAM is eating up my RAM about ~20G). However, instead of fixing the issue, now I cannot even run still scenes with lowest setting possible over like 5FPS.
What would be the issue here? Could someone help me to identify the problem? It is worth mentioning that I have a pretty noticeably huge VAM folder (~90G) if that'd help.

Please share me your wisdom!
Look into VAM Thin Twin - I was a beta tester, and it's pretty damn slick.

Back
Top Bottom