Poor VR performance

A__

Reactions
In desktop mode it runs fine at around 60 fps, and that’s on decent graphics settings and high-quality physics. No soft body. Yet I move to vr and even on the lowest settings I’m running shy of 15 fps. Not really sure what to do here. My CPU is bottlenecking hard.

Do you know it's your CPU bottlenecking it or are you just guessing?
You need to compare with more than one scene. What's your hardware like?

Do you know it's your CPU bottlenecking it or are you just guessing?
You need to compare with more than one scene. What's your hardware like?
Im not entirely sure because this is a temporary setup. It’s more of a work laptop so I guess that answers some of the question but it has a relatively nice graphics card. I sort of did guess on the bottleneck. After reading around I realized I had a three point Lightning system so im gonna try removing that.

You know that this sandbox can push any PC to its knees, right? Add VR to that and that's even more demanding.
Laptops are even less performing power wise than the desktop equivalent, and "work laptops" are not really the kind of machines that are game performance ready, unless you do specialized work that uses laptops for gaming purposes,

You know that this sandbox can push any PC to its knees, right? Add VR to that and that's even more demanding.
Laptops are even less performing power wise than the desktop equivalent, and "work laptops" are not really the kind of machines that are game performance ready, unless you do specialized work that uses laptops for gaming purposes,
My line of thinking was that since the laptop is meant for engineering, it might be able to handle the load. I didn’t come here expecting it to work, just wondering if there was something I could do to improve it. Some setting or plugin.

The load is dependent on the scene you're seeing and your settings. Generally, if you get x FPS from a scene in desktop mode, expect it to be half at least in VR mode.
A scene with 2 people can give you a good FPS output or terrible depending on a lot of factors, like how it's made, timing of hw demands, your hw and potential bottlenecks. GiveMeFPS is a plugin I used when I had a weak GPU, which gave me quick access to change quality settings of things like hair, lights, clothes, some of the big factors.
The biggest demand is likely soft-body physics, which is also the best feature of VaM. If your laptop can't handle soft-body physics in desktop mode, VR will be a bad experience overall, even with SBP off. You likely have a too weak of a computer to be able to handle more than the simplest of scenes with decent FPS. Of course, this can be compensated a little by reducing quality overal, that's where you can try the plugin I mention, but there'll be only so much you can do about it.
Btw, uncheck "high quality physics" because it doesn't mean what you think it means, only turn it on if the scene creator says you need it ON.

The load is dependent on the scene you're seeing and your settings. Generally, if you get x FPS from a scene in desktop mode, expect it to be half at least in VR mode.
A scene with 2 people can give you a good FPS output or terrible depending on a lot of factors, like how it's made, timing of hw demands, your hw and potential bottlenecks. GiveMeFPS is a plugin I used when I had a weak GPU, which gave me quick access to change quality settings of things like hair, lights, clothes, some of the big factors.
The biggest demand is likely soft-body physics, which is also the best feature of VaM. If your laptop can't handle soft-body physics in desktop mode, VR will be a bad experience overall, even with SBP off. You likely have a too weak of a computer to be able to handle more than the simplest of scenes with decent FPS. Of course, this can be compensated a little by reducing quality overal, that's where you can try the plugin I mention, but there'll be only so much you can do about it.
Btw, uncheck "high quality physics" because it doesn't mean what you think it means, only turn it on if the scene creator says you need it ON.
Sounds good, thanks for the info

I think what happened is when I tried running it last night my battery wasn’t full. Because when I tried again this morning I was running 50 fps no problem. Thanks for the help though

Back
Top Bottom