VaM affecting computer performance?

Reactions
VaM seems to affect my computer, even after closing the program. It slows down my computer until I restart the computer. Could it be some sort or memory leak that persists after closing it? Sketchy script running? My VaM install is admittedly pretty bloated, I haven't done a lot of testing with separate installs or anything yet. I am mostly wondering if anyone has had similar issues they found a solution to before I dig into it more. Thanks for any input!

If you also installed Unity Hub (not part of VAM), that could be running in the background. There's an option to make it not do that.

I don't have that installed, no. Vam also crashes on me after a while. I think it has to do with vam maxing out memory/ram usage after loading in enough different things. Is there any sort of plugin that does garbage collection or something on a scene change?

Not directly related to your issue, but 2c: I built my first gaming PC a few years ago, i7-10700k, 32GB & an RTX 3090 (got lucky with an evga queue even though I only wanted a 3080, no regrets). Use a Quest 2 with wireless link for VAM. I had pretty regular program crashes until I upgraded my RAM to 64GB, and it's been much smoother since I did.

I've had 16GB of ram since 16GB was considered "way too much". It's definitely time for an upgrade, vam seems extremely ram hungry though, puts google chrome to shame.

Something else I've noticed: after running vam, my computer won't go to "sleep". If I try to put it to sleep it will just hang, still on, until something times out I guess, and the computer shuts off instead. Still need to test if this is 100% caused by vam but it seems to be the case.

Vam consumes both DRAM (main) and VRAM (GPU). The little program GPU-Z will tell you what Vam is doing to your GPU, including VRAM usage. Windoze Task Manager doesn't show you the VRAM usage. Vam crashing is probably from running out of VRAM. In game, there is a "Hard Reset" button that makes Vam dump everything out of both so that it's just like you exited and relaunched. Sort of. Loading scene after scene without the reset is a sure recipe for a crash in Vam.

Task Manager can tell you if part of Vam is still running in the background, if you scroll down far enough.

Back
Top Bottom