Should links in signatures be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still say to disallow signatures to avoid the whole problem.
Limiting to one line should be enough to say "Hey, support me on my Patreon page >>here<<".

Yeah it is quite obvious you can make an annoying banner with just text. I'm going to just turn off everything except basic text and limit number of lines and characters or we will still get this kind of monstrosity:

1589811176619.png

I would still say to disallow signatures to avoid the whole problem.
Limiting to one line should be enough to say "Hey, support me on my Patreon page >>here<<".
Individual users can turn off seeing of signatures in their prefs so I didn't think global disable was warranted. I don't plan on having a signature myself, but I can see people like to use them.

Just an idea, but maybe a "Donation / Patreon" page could be made available in the profile and shown in the profile block (where the name, messages, reactions etc. are on the left). This would show up as a very small but clear link. I for example will be disabling signatures, but this would allow people with Patreons to keep informing users that they have a patreon, and if they update it eventually (e.g. move from patreon to something else) it would be updated everywhere.

OK - enabled Website And Twitter to be allowed to appear on the user info on left and widened area a bit to prevent wrapping. I'm going to add a way to add Patreon account in the identities section of your profile, but I need to do a minor bit of coding to create a custom validator for it. Then Patreon will also be able to appear on the bar as well.

I think this looks great!
Patreon is now working. You can enter an identity on your profile and it will show up on left. I think this pretty much settles the links in signature or even having a signature at all now. I think I will likely just disable signatures. Much cleaner look that way!

Ok, spoke too soon, this looks strange. Any chance I can influence the link text and make it shorter? Maybe just "MacGruber" instead of the full name?
View attachment 472
I can't fix what the value is because that is your unique Patreon ID. I have a few options though:
  • Increase width of the side bar to accommodate longer ids
  • Change styling of that specific element so it shrink fits (you will have smaller font than others)
  • Change styling of that specific element so it has max width and has overflow clip option (maybe possible, not 100%)
Preference?

Overflow clipping (maybe enable the ellipsis?) looks better imho than different font sizes visually.

Another option is simply not to display the label, and make a clickable "Patreon" link with a "title" which should show the full title on hover. We know it's MacGruber, we know it's a Patreon link, I think it's already clear enough (and to make it stand out you could add a very small patreon icon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom