Not A Bug Open Dialog slower than before ? new filters may help ?

moon793

Reactions
hi
is it a bug ? no ...but for me it make´s VAM more unusable. why more ? simple the mass of .var files. or more ...every save file.
if you use VAM with less less files then there should be no problem. but iam one of those "data hoarder". the users with those problems know what iam talking about. chose the "open" dialoge and wait.
chose what you what you want ...and wait. wait for every single folder to be clicked and opened. wait ...click ...wait ...click.
it´s terrible. and until the new 1.21 version iam not sure what it was. only one thing. the more files inside vam the slower it gets. not for example the 3d performance. is a scene loaded vam is usable as it should be. the only problem was the load window. and not even in every case. loading a file ...no matter a save file or a .var with scene in it take eternity´s to simply click through the folders. not ...for example with "save a file" ...that is surprisingly fast.

and yes ...i searched the hub forums. the problem is known. the more files you have the slower vam (load screen) get´s. but why is that so ? i have try a few things. put all the var files in realy only one folder. ignore the errors an make the half of the mass. throw out small mass files like hair packs out. throw out pack with huge ammount of morph files out. why them ? now ...with experimenting i have noticed vam put´s so called .vamcachejson files into the cache folder. my thought was ...the bigger ...the more they are ...the more vam has todo with "loading" sorting ...what ever. i searched a hint what causing this slowdown´s. nothing helped. until 1.21. but dont get me wrong it´s still not usable. but it could if we can change a tiny little bit.

so know ...heared that there is a new version ...again ? ohh cool ...lets have a look ...changelog ...this ...here ...new there ....not expected to find a "performance fix with load dialog". but hey its a new version. many fixes.

ok lets have a ...maaaannnnn ...did this loading delay did even getting worser ? for me it seem´s so. i have around 320GB in var files. and before it took´s around 4-5 second to even see the load dialogue. another 5sec to klick the desired folder. another 5sec for the sub folder. ok ok ...i think you get the point. it´s slow ...too slow. unusable to work with. playing around in a loaded scene is fine. the load time´s ...not nice ...but if it´s complete ...hey it work´s at least.

i take closer look at the filters for the "list" on the left side in the load window. the only´s thing i ever used there was the link to the addon file´s folder and scene folder. both flattened never make´s sense to me. my var´s and save files are in folder´s. if i want to go then its over the save scene folder. and the link for "addon packages filtered" where i have access to the folders and sorted var files.
so only for "have seen" this new feature try´s i clicked the search field typed the first charakter in it and wait ...secons ...why ? now ...for the list to be sorted out new. ok. second´s later ...the next character ...the next ...the next ...the same load delay´s with everything else here. ok ...the filter dont find anything with "1234" in it. but ...and that is very interesting. the right side ...the folder window ....holy s**** ...this thing react´s now as if it´s doped with speed. i only know this speed from a clean var build instance. it´s fast as it should be to work with.
ok ok ...wait a second. do´s that mean ...wait wait ...the list is preventing the vam load screen to work "fast" ? ...yes it do´s. as soon i delted the "1234" it´s back to it´s slowieness. why ? because now he build´s the list again ....and again ...for every single folder that you have "not" changed. why i say not changed ? now ...if i dont change anything to no files or folder´s ...why is the list build again for no changed file ? i dont know. but if i constrain the new filter wich constrain the resulted list ...then he has nothing to do. not do scan every of the 11350 var files again ...and with a new opened folder again ...and again. the same goes for if i chose one of the "creator filter" ...then he has ...not ....to build the whole list with every click again and again only if i opened a folder.

so ...the question is. how to put someting into that filter wich is survive even the close an reopen the load dialoge ? or a complete vam restart ? then ...after every reopen of the load screen the filter is empty again. and is pointed to "all" ...all files generate the loooong list again and again. and a lot of seconds to wait.

simplest and fastest wish on my side is to edit some of vam´s files to put something in there what vam load with. important is that it cant be simple 1234. because then the link to the addon folder is gone an no var reachable until the filter is removed or changed. a better alternative could be the word "filter" he filters out everything ...but not the link to the addon directory.

alternative idea could be the creator filter. it would be nice if this one is be saved to a specified one. maybe through the options panel.

alternative idea options to constrain the generated ammount of list entry´s.

radical alternative idea ...diasable the whole list system. it make´s no sense that the list has to be updated every single folder that i opened. let vam create the list on startup. saved to ram. and like the package manager list only touched if someone demand´s a rescan.

dream alternative ...take out the 4 standard links to a seperate litte window. above or below (save/scene, all flate.. addon flate.., addon filte..) let the list contain only the list entry´s. or make the addon folder accessible from the middle folder navigaor. make the list able to diasable´d ...saved with settings and saved filters or put in keyword so everyone who is familiarized with the list can further use it but with the option to prevent it to delay if need´ed.

but in the meantime ...is there some way to put something into the search field what will survive (saved) a vam reset ? or a way to chose an creator filter entry at startup ?

regards
Simon
and ...sorry for my lousy english

i am ....realy .....impressed ....with 1.21.1.0 it´s fixed. vam work´s great now. even with tons of files. big thx @ meshedvr/VaMDeV thats not a "minor" fix version. THATS a HUGE improvement.

whats happened ? woke up today ...checked new´s ...and ...whats that ? a buddy hast 100% cpu util with v1.21.1.0 ? ...version what ? ...dont we have gotten a new yesterday or something ? is he mixing some numbers somehow ? noooo ? there´s realy a new version out. a few fixes. but ...what if if the vr mode is broken ? only one way to find out. update another one. dont expected to find the list problem fixed cause the changelog did´nt mention it in some way. looking for problems with abnormal cpu util... new clean version works fine so far. no difference to 0.4. pheeewwww ...looks like an single machine/windows problem. but last try was ...what´s if all packages are in there ? maybe some script or another file lets vam freaking out ? no ...and only to go for the default vam scene to load was suspicious fast ...what the ...close load screen ...reopen ...hey ...that ...whats going on here ? this should work as it do´s ...but i am used to wait for the clicks. no ...not anymore. as i looked at the left ...nothing unusal at first sight ...but. whats this ? the beam for scrolling the list is huge. i only know it as a tiny pixel something cause of ...much too long list. hey ...and whats this ? this is new ...what it say´s ?

VaM.jpg

hell ...did this mean ? ...hell yeah ...yeeeeeaaaahhhh. the list is constrained now to ...guess 100 entry´s ? and it´s now default. not thousends of entry´s ...only hundrets with a delay of almost nothing. and the load window work´s simply fine now. as i said HUGE IMPROVEMENT. and again thanks meshedvr/VaMDeV. i dont expect it was me with my crying about this problem. for me it was yesterday night at posting this and now the list is capped to not making problems. i assume someone other was faster than me and mailed you. but no matter how the problem is gone now. thx.

Back
Top Bottom