Question Need Help Setting Up My Meta Quest 2 to Work with VAM

AudioArtNexus

Reactions
Patreon
AudioArtNexus
Hi,

I have no experience using a VR headset and controllers at all.

I successfully activated the Meta Quest 2 with the apple app 'Meta Quest' and it is working fine in its standalone wireless mode. I have also download the Occulus PC Software and installed it. However I have no idea how to get VAM to recognize my Quest 2. Can you explain how I do this or refer me to instructions to get VAM and the Meta Quest 2 to recognize each other. I have the Occulus Link connected but I can not get the Quest 2 to be recognized by VAM.

I have installed Steam but I'm not sure if it has to be used to connect to VAM .

Thanks for any help you can provide,
AudioArtNexus

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but in the VAM folder there is VaM_Updater.exe, when you click on it, you have Launch VR at the top.
This will popup somethink on the headset and i think you will be able to manage for the rest :)

Upvote 0
thanks for the suggestion. I was able to find the menu in the Quest headset to connect to the PC desktop and was able to open up VAM through VAM.exe, vam (open) VR bat and though VaM_Updater.exe and selecting Load VR. VAM loaded and I was able to see it in the headset and my handsets were functioning but there is an incredible delay and VAM runs very very slowly. I have a RTX 3080 so the delay is not coming from a lack of graphics processing.

Upvote 0
I've heard that Occulus Link is pretty bad in general. I use Virtual Desktop app in the headset, and launch VAM from the updater using the Launch in VR option.

Upvote 0
thanks for the suggestion. I was able to find the menu in the Quest headset to connect to the PC desktop and was able to open up VAM through VAM.exe, vam (open) VR bat and though VaM_Updater.exe and selecting Load VR. VAM loaded and I was able to see it in the headset and my handsets were functioning but there is an incredible delay and VAM runs very very slowly. I have a RTX 3080 so the delay is not coming from a lack of graphics processing.
There is that asynchronous spacewarp thingy that you can disable. I don't know how to do it, but I hope you can find it on google.

Upvote 0
In Oculus Link I start up SteamVR, then back out and go to the desktop viewer and run VaM (VR mode) directly from the folder.

Upvote 0
In Oculus Link I start up SteamVR, then back out and go to the desktop viewer and run VaM (VR mode) directly from the folder.
I have had the most success using the above directions to connect to VAM VR. I am just getting used to the environment now. There is some latency but I will keep making adjustments. I'm finding that when I am trying to select a particular node the pointer only goes to the next nearest node instead of a free wand that shows everywhere that you are pointing. I believe this is what I am thinking of as latency but VAM VR just works differently when selecting nodes?

Upvote 0
Hello, I bought Meta Quest 2 yesterday but I can`t find VAM .... I opened Vam with updater and vr option but i can't see the game on my headset. Can you help me please?

Upvote 0
If you have installed VaM on your PC you will have a Vam folder, you can open up the folder and scroll down to Vam.exe icon, click on that and it should load up Vam software, but you need to be seeing your desktop on your headset, using VD or oculus link. Hope this helps ;) I send Vam.exe to my desktop as a copy, so no need to go into folder, just click the desktop icon.

Upvote 0
Hello, I bought Meta Quest 2 yesterday but I can`t find VAM .... I opened Vam with updater and vr option but i can't see the game on my headset. Can you help me please?
You need to connect your Quest with your PC. Either shitty with Oculus Link or Airlink, or best using Virtual Desktop. Than just start the Open VR option from your VAM folder.
Or make a batch file to bypass also shitty SteamVR like this (replace your path to VAM):
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "F:\VR\Clean\VaM.exe"

Upvote 0
thank you for your reply. the problem is that i use a Nvidia Geforce gtx 950m and i receive a message that Rift is not compatible.... Do you think i have any chance to use my Meta Quest 2.

Upvote 0
thank you for your reply. the problem is that i use a Nvidia Geforce gtx 950m and i receive a message that Rift is not compatible.... Do you think i have any chance to use my Meta Quest 2.
Don’t know how to solve this error. But anyway, even if you get it to run, with this rather old mobile GPU you won’t have any fun .
I don’t think it can handle VAM well, even on low settings

Upvote 0
Don’t know how to solve this error. But anyway, even if you get it to run, with this rather old mobile GPU you won’t have any fun .
I don’t think it can handle VAM well, even on low settings
finally, i managed to connect trough virtual desktop. The only think i don`t understand is how to use the handset in order to move or change the point of view...

Upvote 0
i don`t understand is how to use the handsets ( or hands) in order to move or change the point of view... someone can help me please?

Upvote 0
i don`t understand is how to use the handsets ( or hands) in order to move or change the point of view... someone can help me please?
Use the thumbsticks to navigate.

If you want to control a character, add the embody plugin to it and activate.

You can also create a button attached to your wrist with UIAssist plugin to quickly do that.

Upvote 0
thank you for your reply. i allready used the thumbsticks bur is " propulse' me 20 m ahead or behind...
About button on my wrist....to be honnest i don`t now what is this:rolleyes:
Do you learn to use VAM with a manual or just tutorials??? I find very strange that there is no official manual....

Upvote 0
I don't recall seeing a PDF manual for a PC game in 20 years, everything has been either as text in the website, video tutorials or in-game tutorials.
The wiki is the official source for commands and shortcuts, giving a bird's-eye view of the VaM sandbox UI and core functions. You're free to make a PDF version and share it, currently there's none.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom