Question "Missing packages" vs "Reference packages" - do i need it all for correct work of package ?

5DVoom

Reactions
Folks, as for newbie need clarify - sometimes there is artist which even single package after scan are shows a ton of "missing packages" (i did catch example in which there is about 500-1000 missing packages lol, despite simple scene with single female look. And in that missing packages included some thing completelly not relate with this scene, as some male models with 300mb size. And some packages in list even doubled with the same name\version\size). So i'm worry about fill hdd space by unused stuff.
But in the same time i found that there is "Reference packages" section (in add-on package manager), that shows much less mising stuff (about 30) - i guess it's only what i need for this scene ? Or main missing packages still need too ?

Last edited:
My advice is to not use resources with a exagerated number of dependencies or lots of missing/payed dependencies. These poorly packed resources will waste your disk space, make VAM slower to load and work, and there's no garantee the content is any good or will work properly.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks, that what i been assumed. (During tests at clean VAM with some packages from other authors - where all ok, just what only really need is shows as missing).

Despite, i very like some models from this artist. And i decided to spend time for figured how json's works, to reconfigure (adjust dependencies) manually.
Already partially understood/fixed.
But do there is reference manual for VAM json's structure\language ?
(for example currently need a bit more info about "hadReferenceIssues" string section)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(for example currently need a bit more info about "hadReferenceIssues" string section)
There is no documentation in that sense. However, that particular flag is set to "true" when the creator was warned about content used in the scene, but not properly referenced or included in the VAR. That means when someone else will try to load the scene, that content will be missing. In 99% of cases that will mean the VAR package is broken. Even if you manage to load the package, it will most likely not look like the screenshots. You should probably ignore creators who put such stuff on the hub.

Upvote 0
In some cases, you may like the model in a scene, but not the environment, or the clothes. You can selectively download what you feel you want, and ignore the rest of the dependencies. This is easier to figure out when downloading from the hub in game. The web interface does not give you all the details. I often do this ignoring some 400 MB piece of clothing I don't really like. There is a new feature in Vam in the Package Manager that allows you ignore missing dependencies in a particular package. This was recently fixed.

Upvote 0
@SlimerJSpud
Yes, in my new second spin of VAM, i already starts to collect all exactly via this way, by monitoring thru Package Manager. Although this is require more time a lot, but really feel better due to full control what need.

Sorry else question (about dependencies models), need clarify: do there cases in VAM, when for example, simple scene with female look, require installed another full look/looks (female or male) - for example for somehow take morphs from their bodies ? Or there no such dependency system available ?
(Just want to be sure that additional missing dependencies in form of exnternal models can't be important for main body form, and i can just mute it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@SlimerJSpud
Yes, in my new second spin of VAM, i already starts to collect all exactly via this way, by monitoring thru Package Manager. Although this is require more time a lot, but really feel better due to full control what need.

Sorry else question (about dependencies models), need clarify: do there cases in VAM, when for example, simple scene with female look, require installed another full look/looks (female or male) - for example for somehow take morphs from their bodies ? Or there no such dependency system available ?
(Just want to be sure that additional missing dependencies in form of exnternal models can't be important for main body form, and i can just mute it).
Yes, but it depends on the model. Some creators will base one model on an older one they already released, or on somebody else's model. Some creators will make a morph pack that applies to all their models. They might still reuse the skin textures, tho. It varies.

Upvote 0
Yes, but it depends on the model. Some creators will base one model on an older one they already released, or on somebody else's model. Some creators will make a morph pack that applies to all their models. They might still reuse the skin textures, tho. It varies.
Ok so how to detect\determine such important related models from our "missing packages" list ? ("important" - in sense that they have affect to morphs\body shape for our main model in scene).

So, we have: (in add-on package manager)
1) list of missing dependencies in main "Missing Packages" section
2) list of missing dependencies in "References" section.

And list of errors in "Error Log" section, after loaded scene.

What should we be guided by for this task?

Do I understand correctly that the priority point in defining such related models will be stuff in References list ? Or not necessarily.

(Or maybe it will be easier to go the other way: quickly identify models (in the missing list) that are definitely not required for the main one.)

Or is it all individually, and there is no general approach.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks for replies. Well, that what i'm been afraid.
Because it turns out that any missing models are potentially needed lol.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom