Question Locking and Unlocking Clothing Items via trigger

vertigoeighty

Reactions
Website
www.buymeacoffee.com
New version of Vam has a clothing/hair lock attribute that can be turned on/off to keep items active even if the appearance preset is changed. I see options to "Lock All Active" and "Unlock All" in the Person clothing/hair menus, but I'm not able to find a trigger associated with these options. Does it exist and I'm not finding it?

I'd prefer not to have to lock/unlock each individual item of clothing etc if possible.

even a plugin to mass lock/unlock items would be helpful. Thanks

Never got a response to this first time around. Had another related question: Whether or not it was possible to save the clothing lock attribute for specific items in an appearance preset when you save it off. That way, items like makeup/jewelry/etc could remain even after you might change to another clothing preset. Seems like a big missed opportunity that this wasn't implemented this way when the clothing lock first came about.

Upvote 0
You can see this checkbox when you open a clothing item customization. When active. This item of clothing (makeup in this case) will not get replaced when changing clothing/appearance presets. It's super handy, but you have to manually turn it on each item for every new session since the attribute resets with no apparent way to save/preserve it between session. Kind of a shame it's like that because it could otherwise be a much more useful feature. Maybe this could be resolved with a plug-in since VAM isn't going to receive any more updates.

lockattrib.png

Upvote 0
You can see this checkbox when you open a clothing item customization. When active. This item of clothing (makeup in this case) will not get replaced when changing clothing/appearance presets. It's super handy, but you have to manually turn it on each item for every new session since the attribute resets with no apparent way to save/preserve it between session. Kind of a shame it's like that because it could otherwise be a much more useful feature. Maybe this could be resolved with a plug-in since VAM isn't going to receive any more updates.

View attachment 328076
What about when it's in a preset, clothing or appearance, it loses the lock too?

Upvote 0
Hey @vertigoeighty - I too have been trying to figure out a way to achieve this recently - did you have any luck discovering a way do so?
I found an older plugin (circa 2020) that I thought might do the trick, but haven't been able to get it to work as expected. It may be the case that more recent version changes to VaM have rendered it's functionality invalid, or (more likely) I'm not employing it correctly.
Seems like such a simple thing. :unsure:

Upvote 0
The locked state does not save with a scene, or a preset. You can get at it with a trigger, though. You can try this with a simple UI toggle. Set the toggle to operate on Person -> (SomeClothingItem)Control -> locked. I was able to toggle Lexi's default top in and out of the locked state. This means what you could do is have a scene plugin that detects when the scene has completely loaded, then activate the locked state. There is an EventSceneLoad plugin in the logic bricks collection. Scene plugins do get saved with the scene.

Upvote 0
@SlimerJSpud - true, however that won't fly for my needs (without a huge amount of extra work).
I have an Appearance subdir containing multiple (ostensibly naked) characters, but each has individually tweaked, and significantly different, 'clothing' items for things like eye reflections, eye shadows, makeup, etc.
I use PresetLoader to bring them into a scene (not my own) that employs LoadPreset commands for different scenarios requiring different outfits, which wipes out the aforementioned individual tweaks.
However if, after loading the Appearance via PresetLoader, I then use the 'Lock Active' button in the top right of the Clothing tab (not the 'Lock' switch on each individual clothing item), I can happily go through those different scenarios (with different costume changes) without losing those individual tweaks per character.
I just wish there was some way to access that button via a trigger in scene (which is what I think the OP was initially inquiring after), rather than resorting to using the Atom UI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@SlimerJSpud - true, however that won't fly for my needs (without a huge amount of extra work).
I have an Appearance subdir containing multiple (ostensibly naked) characters, but each has individually tweaked, and significantly different, 'clothing' items for things like eye reflections, eye shadows, makeup, etc.
I use PresetLoader to bring them into a scene (not my own) that employs LoadPreset commands for different scenarios requiring different outfits, which wipes out the aforementioned individual tweaks.
However if, after loading the Appearance via PresetLoader, I then use the 'Lock Active' button in the top right of the Clothing tab (not the 'Lock' switch on each individual clothing item), I can happily go through those different scenarios (with different costume changes) without losing those individual tweaks per character.
I just wish there was some way to access that button via a trigger in scene (which is what I think the OP was initially inquiring after), rather than resorting to using the Atom UI.
Yea, like I said before it's a missed opportunity. I was able to use the clothing item control trigger like Slimer mentioned for specific scenes for things like makeup. but It definitely requires a bunch more setting up.

It'd be so much better if the appearance preset could just save those lock settings internally. And since VAM is never going to get another update, the only possible solution would be if somebody makes a plugin (if that's even possible).

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom