Question Emulate/Trigger keystroke via UIButton

CheersMate

Reactions
Website
ecchi.iwara.tv
Is there a way to emulate any keystroke via a UIButton trigger?

Background:
In VR, I'm looking for a way to advance the frame +/-1second (similar to Next/Previous Frame) without having the timeline UI open. In desktop I've mapped these actions to some keys using Acid Bubbles Keybindings.

My thought was if I could trigger the keystroke with a UIbutton, then anything that can have a keybinding (like clone or open timeline UI or ...) could also be easily accessible in VR. This would be awesome!

I considered the option to map to the controller but,
A. There are too few controller buttons for more than a few triggers and
B. The Vive controller mapping seems very limited and looks like that can't do anything more that the basics (see WrongTamago's Customizing SteamVR controller guide).

Is this what you are looking for? You can have the Timeline UI open on a "Simple Sign" atom in your scene....so basically all the buttons, not just forward/backward ;)

Upvote 0
Is this what you are looking for? You can have the Timeline UI open on a "Simple Sign" atom in your scene....so basically all the buttons, not just forward/backward ;)
Yes. That's perfect and pretty much solves my immediate problem with easy timeline manipulation. Thanks!

But, while thinking about this my ambitions changed. I hoped there might be a way to do something more generic with mixing keybindings and UITriggers so anything that deem worthy enough for a hotkey could be easily accessed in VR (specifically my favorite keybinding: clone).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom