Laptop requirements for VaM 1.x ( and VaM 2.x in the future)

nahapa

Reactions

Alienware 16" Gaming Laptop (Intel Core Ultra 7 155H/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/GeForce RTX 4070)​

Hi everyone.
I'm a new member. I have an old laptop, and would like to get a new one that can run VaM1 and maybe VaM2. I don't have space for desktop and it's not mobile. Also is 16GB RAM enough, there is 32GB RAM version that would cost $300 more ?
Thank you.

Last edited:
  1. I wouldn't buy a PC based on VAM 2, it's not out, we don't have any clue on the potential needs. So buying a PC thinking "it's gonna make VAM 2 run properly" is not possible.
  2. I'm not very good with laptops, so other people might have some answers... but honestly, if you want to run comfortably VAM, I'd go for a PC. On the ram, 16 is the bare minimum for VAM. If you plan on becoming a creator, 32 is mandatory for QoL.

VAM2 performance has been discussed in the VAM discord, and the current info is that VAM2 is more efficient and better optimized, e.g. you can render a higher number of higher higher quality models. Skin physics will be more complex than in VAM1, but will also be more optimized and run (mostly?) on the GPU. Overall though, skin physics will probably cost a lot of performance when simulating the whole body. But things will be more configurable than in VAM1, and I think it's safe to say that any PC that can run VAM1 decently can definitely run VAM2 at a reasonable level of graphical and physical fidelity but not necessarily "maxed out". While there are no official system requirements, I think you're going to be good with any current high-end components. The Intel 155H CPU and 4070 GPU are both great for a laptop, especially if you're planning to just run in desktop mode (no VR).

32GB is recommended for VAM, you will easily experience crashes on 16GB. For VAM2, you probably also want 32GB, people will be adding all kinds of custom assets etc. that will eat up RAM. Even if VAM2 will probably be more efficient for a given complexity of a scene, it will also scale better to more complex scenes where the extra RAM will be useful. Going with 32GB makes even more sense for a laptop where upgrading any component is a hassle.

VAM2 performance has been discussed in the VAM discord, and the current info is that VAM2 is more efficient and better optimized, e.g. you can render a higher number of higher higher quality models. Skin physics will be more complex than in VAM1, but will also be more optimized and run (mostly?) on the GPU. Overall though, skin physics will probably cost a lot of performance when simulating the whole body. But things will be more configurable than in VAM1, and I think it's safe to say that any PC that can run VAM1 decently can definitely run VAM2 at a reasonable level of graphical and physical fidelity but not necessarily "maxed out". While there are no official system requirements, I think you're going to be good with any current high-end components. The Intel 155H CPU and 4070 GPU are both great for a laptop, especially if you're planning to just run in desktop mode (no VR).

32GB is recommended for VAM, you will easily experience crashes on 16GB. For VAM2, you probably also want 32GB, people will be adding all kinds of custom assets etc. that will eat up RAM. Even if VAM2 will probably be more efficient for a given complexity of a scene, it will also scale better to more complex scenes where the extra RAM will be useful. Going with 32GB makes even more sense for a laptop where upgrading any component is a hassle.
Thank you. I have MQ3 and want to run in VR mode too.

Thank you. I have MQ3 and want to run in VR mode too.
The RTX 4070 laptop GPU is roughly equivalent to an RTX 3070 desktop GPU. Decent overall but sub par for a high resolution VR display. That said, you can always lower the render resolution and adjust other settings to get a stable framerate at the cost of visual quality.

Back
Top Bottom