• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Increased FPS when using openVR

To make this absolutely clear.
Numbers below 1 are for upscaling lower res and should create a higher FPS at the set resolution (with possible visual quality loss).
Number above 1 are for better resolution and will create higher resolution visual output above the set resolution without changing FPS (much).

Thank you for the info Jiraiya. For me, It is a Game changer. I managed to get stable 90 fps on my HP reverb G2. My test scene has 2 characters and 1 light with default furniture assets. With Render resolution set to 1.25, I've got around 75-80 fps. After enabling Fsr I've got stable 90 fps and the difference in the image quality is insignificant. I didn't change anything in openvr_mod.cfg file (Default settings: Ultra Quality => 0.77, sharpness": 0.9, radius": 0.5). However, if a scene is not properly optimized, FSR will not help. And one more thing: The more var files the less fps you get.

Last edited:
I don't think so. It's been compiled into the openVR plugin, so it only activates when that is used.
Check out the github page for more technical information.

Just to clarify, not only does it not work in Desktop mode, it does not work in ANY mode that isn't specifically the openVR mode.
That means, running through SteamVR.
The trick to run directly via Virtual Desktop on Quest headsets bypasses OpenVR and this plugin does NOT activate.
That said, I still prefer avoiding SteamVR if at all possible, even at the loss of this plugin...

Is that in a given scene, or is that in general if your AddonPackages is heavy with VARs?

In general. It is mainly the VaM startup loading time that will increase.
For instance: With 6000 morphs and 800 Var files it will take up to 1-2minutes to load VaM. With a fresh install it takes... what? 10 seconds?

Yo, thanks for posting this fholger's OpenVR mod here. I myself have been already using the same mod for week or two without noticing your post. Note that VAM uses OpenVr already, but this is a great modification enabling VSR support and has actually two different use cases.

The difference is that I use it with other 'upscaling mode' instead: i.e. putting reverse multiplier 1.5 to increase VAM fidelity. Then in SteamVR's VAM specific video setting I have for VAM specific resolution of 2440x2440, which is the native res of Vive Pro 2, which I have. So VRSS mod boosts that by 50%. These are my settings for VRSS with Nvidia 3090:

"renderScale": 1.50,
"sharpness": 0.01,
"radius": 0.3,
"applyMIPBias": true

I've applied minimum amount of sharpening above.

Most importantly, then in addition to this, I apply this another Reshade-based great mod as well to apply sharpening in VR:
https://vrtoolkit.retrolux.de/

It is important to use this one as other Reshade mods ( e.g. fholger) WILL CRASH VAM. Howerer, this mod does not. This means you can apply this with (like I have) or standalone without the VRSS mod. I think vrtoolkit mod alone could work for you fine by making VAM really sharp and also not harming your fps that much at all!

For vrtoolkit, in its RehadePreset.ini I have put and modified myself settings like this:

PreprocessorDefinitions=VRT_SHARPENING_MODE=2,VRT_USE_CENTER_MASK=1,VRT_DITHERING=0,VRT_COLOR_CORRECTION_MODE=0,VRT_ANTIALIASING_MODE=1
Techniques=VRToolkit@VRToolkit.fx
TechniqueSorting=VRToolkit@VRToolkit.fx

[VRToolkit.fx]
CircularMaskHelp=0
Clamp=0.525000
Contrast=0.700000
EdgeThreshold=0.500000
EdgeThresholdMin=0.000000
Exposure=0.0
fLUT_AmountChroma=1.000000
fLUT_AmountLuma=1.000000
Gamma=1
iCircularMaskHorizontalOffset=0.300000
iCircularMaskPreview=0
iCircularMaskSize=0.300000
iCircularMaskSmoothness=5.000000
iDitheringStrength=0.375000
Offset=0.100000
Preview=0
Saturation=0.0
Sharpening=1.000000
Strength=300.000000
Subpix=0.500000
VRT_Advanced_help=0
VRT_AntialiasingMode1=1
VRT_ColorCorrectionMode1=0
VRT_SharpeningMaskHelp=0
VRT_SharpeningMode1=1
VRT_SharpeningMode2=0

You can also modify this to change to AMD Fidelity FX CAS based sharpening (VRT_SharpeningMode2), disable FXAA and enable dithering for example if you want. Press CTRL+Home to get to configuration OSD of Reshade after VAM has started.

These two mods in combination are kinda nice indeed. Now forget blurry VAM ;) Mucho props to the original authors of both of these mods for making VR great!
will it be fine putting vrtoolkit mod files in main vam folder? and do I need or not other reshade files installed besides vrtoolkit? I will try it as soon as I can be at home next weeks. Without openVR dll mod eventually, because I saw no improv. with that only applied (and reverb g2)... the german mod looks more tempting after looking that link you kindly posted.

Just a shout out that reshade v5 works with steamvr now and the amd shader is included and seems to work quite well from my limited testing.

Old thread but still true - vrperftoolkit causes lose of controller here too - (Cosmos / steamvr).
The older openfsr version works fine - ive not tried the reshade equivalents. (does reshade work with vr vam?)

On Index you can make the controllers work with vrperfkit by replacing VaM_Data\Plugins\openvr_api.dll with the openfsr version in addition to having dxgi.dll in the root folder. Then just set "enabled": false in openvr_mod.cfg so that it does nothing and vrperfkit can do it's thing. Worth a shot, it's a big performance boost.

Will try this later and confirm if the controllers are present - i use vrperf on skyrimvr and its perfect, the sharp centre / blurred edges thing is barely noticable they way i play it, but on VAM openfsr is good, but i feel it could be better XD

Back
Top Bottom