IK for Custom Unity Assets

Plugins IK for Custom Unity Assets

Previous versions of plugin did not have naming filter for bones. Kind of wish to still be able to assign bone names manually, since some models name bones differently.
One more thing - are there any bending poles for elbows, knees to correct the deformation of limbs?
Thank you.

The filtering on bones is to ensure the setup is actually valid. If you can see bones but cant reach them due to the filtering it means the skeleton isn't rigged correctly. However, if you want to add bones manually you can just manually edit the JSON file pretty easily.

In terms of bending poles there should be effectors for elbows/knees already attached. Those act as a direction to bend for those joints. Is that what you meant ?

Hi... How could I use your plug in with this??? https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/black-dragon.5067/
Ive been able to add some bones to it in the spine and neck. but there are somethings it seams that do not transfer and it took a while to sort out the names of the bones. I tried it with the full skeleton and when I got to applying arms and things past the tail, it stopped and I couldnt add anymore to it. I'm not sure which type of skeleton it should be switched to and I'm hoping that this could then be edited in the time-line to attack some peeps in a scene i was starting.. Was your plug in made for this anyway? and what could I use instead that was for this more specifically?

If there was a dragon or some kind of fantasy creature morph that would just make everything way easier, but I havn't ran into any kind of morph plug-in that does anything besides elfs, orcs or the horse head.

some time later i checked out xps files on diviant art. im a bit confused as how to download a xps file now.. all I see are jpgs of animae girls from doa and old games like that. I'm not sure what a xps file is.. or how to get it in vam ..

Yes it should work, i had a look earlier and the bones are all there but they are named in german so you might want to get your google translate out. Use full body skeleton and play around with the options. Check where the lines are drawn and you'll get an idea. Apparently oberschenkel means thigh :)

The use case you describe is exactly what the plugin is for.

Iche Libre oberschenkel lmao Thanks!

Once I get past the 1rst hip and the 2 chest bones, further down the list I don't get to add any bones and the options for the thighs doesnt even come up to pick from though? If I pick 0 for the first bone and then the ponch 1 and 2, I do see in the sub menu the list for thighs and all the other bones pops up, but once I add the 3, the rest of the selections come up blank like in the image.

How would I stop the default idle this comes with?
Do i have to add multiple solvers to this?

Attachments

• not working.jpg
    not working.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah its definitely a feature i could add. I'd originally gone with the simplest implementation(eg just a single path to traverse) to make it easy for folks to use. But I could do something like start/end bone segments within a hierarchy and then add effectors at each end bone. Is that kind of what you meant ? It'd allow you to actually do things like wrap a tentacle around a limb.. or other things ;)
Seconding this request
🙏

hm I tried it on a rigged Version of my Shackles, but somehow rotations is not affective at all, :-( maybe I set it wrong ...is there a chance that you can upload your video again where you describe how to set it on !?

Hi imakeboobies! This plugin is very promissing. I've tried it on a few models with successfull results. However I haven't succeed with this model which I've published here on the hub earlier (https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/animated-horse-mare-demo-scene.17024/).
I can pick a desired bone from the asset and create the effector. It appeared at the correct place where the bone is. But whenever I try to move the Effector - nothing happens. I even tried to create this model without animation just to be sure but still nothing..
I can't find out what's wrong with the model, why the effectors don't work.
Could you give me any advice what could be wrong or how to debug this particular problem?

I only discovered what this plugin does yesterday and it's damn awesome 🙇‍♂️💯
Yesterday then I started to play around, trying to understand what things are, and I used Jiraya's Jabba CUA. Of all the modes only Limb made it possible to, for example, open it's mouth or move the tongue, which to me was already super amazing to see.
However, saving the scene and loading it again the CUA was back to normal, with the mouth as it was originally. I don't have a rigged CUA around to try also, will try to get one. The atom was there on reload but didn't move anything anymore too. Am I missing something or expecting things that can't be done?

Is there a visual tutorial on how to use this plugin? The one in your overview appears to be missing. Thanks!

Last edited:
this is a great plugin ,it let me to import a lot of xps models into vam ,thank you very much

when i load a scene that has a ik rig with this script, it doesn't work. have to redo the bone setup. any way around that?

So, I added a basic armature to my model in blender (and parented), exported it to Unity and then to VAM. It doesn't work unfortunately. It will rotate the whole model, but no IK. No morphing of mesh. Am I missing a step? Please let me know.

I wonder why as i reload scene that added atoms stop working.

So this has been a persistent issues quite a few folks have encountered and I hadn't had time to replicate the issues until recently. IKCUA stores all the info it needs to know about the IK setup of a scene in one long comma delimited string per IK type. This bug is actually a problem where when you add and then remove IK items in a scene the string gets messed up and instead of rebuilding it before save we just go with this dirty string in the save. When you re-open the plugin doesn't know what to do with the garbage string and barfs.

I'm traveling a bunch in the next month for work so I'll see if I can fix it while on the road, but in the mean time id suggest you add things once when setting up an IK and if you need to remove them, remove the atom and start again. its not a great solve but it will prevent problems. You can also fix the string in the save file if you're feeling adventurous.

I don't suppose there's a way to strip out the existing physics of a CUA? I have a cat-tail I use regularly that has gravity-based physics built in, which makes it nigh impossible to pose.

EDIT

OK. I was actually able to pose the tail, but boy oh boy the asset was not rigged with the IK plugin in mind, and it shows. The colliders got so wonky that it nearly caused explosions when it went anywhere near a character, and the colliders were nowhere near the actual tail itself

Last edited:
imakeboobies updated IK for Custom Unity Assets with a new update entry:

New Features + bug fixes

- Added more multi-effector option for CCD and FabbrIK. Meaning you can have more fine grain control on one long chain of transforms. Requires a minimum of 3 transforms per effectors.
- Added more complex Arm and Leg IK options. Allowing for 4 bone options. Largely works better than the limb option if you have the available bones.
- I was finding that my screen was a sea of square empty icons and I wasn't sure what was what, so i added new Icons for atoms that control IK effectors.
- Fixed...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Can this be used to save and load only certain assets and then import/load them into a new scene, such as, assetbundle clothes lying on the floor from a vam scene? My thought is to create the sense of clothes discarded in haste in the heart of passion, but I can't find a way to do it with assetbundle clothes. Thanks!

Can this be used to save and load only certain assets and then import/load them into a new scene, such as, assetbundle clothes lying on the floor from a vam scene? My thought is to create the sense of clothes discarded in haste in the heart of passion, but I can't find a way to do it with assetbundle clothes. Thanks!
It can be used with any CUA that has bones attached. The bones are defined in unity at the point when the asset bundle is created. So yes depending on if the clothes have bones. If the clothes dont have bones, you can use the XPS loader plugin to load clothes which have bones and then pose them using IKCUA. For example these kinds of XPS files: https://www.deviantart.com/sugarmoonlight/favourites/78938437/xps-clothes-etc-dl

Hi, I love this plugin ..but I think I broke it, it was working fine then suddenly it wasn't, not sure what I did but now no matter what CUA I add it to it shows no bones, it is entirely blank in all drop-down menus even if I use a CUA that I know has bones.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way but is there any way to save the changes done to a preset using Blazedust's CUAM?
I'm met with the following error whenever I would load such a preset

Code:
!> Exception during PostRestore of plugin#0_IKCUA.VamIK: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at IKCUA.VamIK.extractPluginJSON (SimpleJSON.JSONNode file, System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at IKCUA.VamIK.PostRestore () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atom.PostRestore (Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which I suppose is no big surprise given that the object created by your plugin isn't saved to the preset, so the CUA rigs would have no idea what to attach to... or at least that's what I assume is happening.

I did notice however that the preset does function correctly and throws no errors if you load a scene where the IK object is already assigned, which I guess makes sense given that the object is loaded before I try to append the preset.

Last edited:
heloo am use latest vam
and got this problem
Screenshot 2023-07-11 134637.png

in filter i got nothing in root bone option like tentakel or else.
how to fix this ?
are this plugin not supoort with latest vam ?

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way but is there any way to save the changes done to a preset using Blazedust's CUAM?
I'm met with the following error whenever I would load such a preset

Code:
!> Exception during PostRestore of plugin#0_IKCUA.VamIK: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at IKCUA.VamIK.extractPluginJSON (SimpleJSON.JSONNode file, System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at IKCUA.VamIK.PostRestore () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Atom.PostRestore (Boolean restorePhysical, Boolean restoreAppearance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Which I suppose is no big surprise given that the object created by your plugin isn't saved to the preset, so the CUA rigs would have no idea what to attach to... or at least that's what I assume is happening.

I did notice however that the preset does function correctly and throws no errors if you load a scene where the IK object is already assigned, which I guess makes sense given that the object is loaded before I try to append the preset.

The effector atoms of IK CUA are "misc/empty" atoms which CUAM doesn't save with presets by default. But you cann simply change the save to preset atom list in CUAM:
Go to CUAM options, add misc/empty to the atoms list at the bottom. Then set the person the cua is attached to as the parent for the created effectors from IKCUA - that way they will be saved into the preset together with the CUAs without changing anything else about them afaik. You see that it works when the amount of atoms saved increases by the amount of IKCUA effectors you added.

I've been using this for a long time. Recently I found it was a lot easier to animate a tentacle if the "head" was locked to the CUA atom. The effectors affecting the "tail" only. Precise positioning of the head is no longer reliant on the position of every effector working together.

By default all effectors are parented to the CUA atom, I undo this so they stay put when I move the CUA. It works great. But every time I load a saved scene, they've reverted to being parented to the CUA, breaking the animations. Any way around this?

Last edited:
Fantastic :) or rather could be fantastic but if you save scene load it again all added atom are delink from CUA parts. :( if you fix it it would be one of best VAM plugin :)
I’m confused by this. It seems like if I’m using creator’s assets that use this plugin they will function but if I try to add them to a CUA myself they just unlink when I save/reload.

Back
Top Bottom