• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

If you want make 2.X the best adult sandbox application in existence...

Koolan

Reactions
If you want make 2.X the best adult sandbox application in existence you really need to think about adding support for PhysX and much more efficient utilization of Multi-core processors.
It looks really good in the progress you are making and i hope the result is nice.
Vam V1 is good but it could be alot better if it had that.
And alot better ram management, it uses all the ram in my system so barely anything works when it is running.
I also know a few more things that also can be improved but i do not want to sound like a "negative nelly"
I really like VAM and i only want it to be the best it can be for everyone.

Anyway, keep up the good work, you still have some stuff left i guess (y)

Last edited:
I think a good portion is Unity, but absolutely not all of it. Seems like the insane amount of "assets" that get loaded into every scene, most of which are the same, aren't being properly disposed of when closing a scene. I can have VAM open only for a short while, before it crashes and just, well, start over. It's pretty shit, but it's the only thing out there, for now anyway.

Admittedly VAM has terrible utilization for todays standards, I dont view Vam as a regular game either and more of a piece of viewing/editing software like Blender. Most people especially now with the massive shift in PC pricing look for what's most recommended for gaming at a certain price range, when people like Linus recommend things like 6 core 12 thread CPUs and a mid range GPU then say it will game just fine are not talking about programs like VAM or Blender. A editing/rendering PC will play VAM fine but honestly i haven't tried multitasking in VR with my pants down lol

I play exclusively in VR so every time I start up vam I have to close every program, change my monitor resolution from 4k to lower. Only after all of that can I get somewhat decent fps. I'd love to get a smooth 60fps... even if that ment I couldnt have anything but vam open. My fingers are crossed that they will improve in time, because I love vam.

change my monitor resolution from 4k to lower

Does that have an actual affect??! It doesn't seem like it could, but if it does that don't make any kind of sense to me lol. I've always just assumed it didn't and have never changed mine from 4k. Thinking about it tho, not even sure I want to. Just like you I have to shut down everything on my PC when launching VAM, which is already a hassle. Not sure adding another one to the mix would be worth it.

Does that have an actual affect??! It doesn't seem like it could, but if it does that don't make any kind of sense to me lol. I've always just assumed it didn't and have never changed mine from 4k. Thinking about it tho, not even sure I want to. Just like you I have to shut down everything on my PC when launching VAM, which is already a hassle. Not sure adding another one to the mix would be worth it.
Outputting to the VR display and monitor does add extra work for your GPU from what I can tell. The easiest thing would be to just turn off your monitor once you go into VR.

Presenting those static single frame of the Windows desktop would not add extra work to your GPU. Even showing what is going on in VR with displaying the frames rendered for one eye would not have a remarkable influence on performance. It would be a completely other pair of shoes, if the GPU has to render a third VR-eye view, but I don't know any game that would do such a stupid thing. There are maybe some other issues with a monitor competing against a VR headset, like issues with Freesync or G-Sync and game physics, or even like different screen resolutions in some few VR games. Though, some older games will even crash if you turn off the main screen.
I have deactivaded Freesync for VaM to be on the save side with the physics, but I did some very simple tests and switching off my monitor didn't had any influence on my fps. From time to time I do this only for power saving.

I haven't done any real testing or anything, but I started doing this after half life alex was lagging, and it helped in that game. From what I understand your computer is still doing all the stuff on your monitor even when your in VR. My computer is just passible for most 4k things so I always turn if off and I feel like it helps.

IMHO Instead of switching off the monitor, which is maybe a bit irrational, one should assume issues with V-sync first. In most modern display drivers, you can set a different profile per game.

Back
Top Bottom