How to stop explosions?

SundaeCami

Reactions
How to stop the scary explosions that keep happening where the models fly everywhere and curl into balls? I'd put a picture but, it freaks me out every time ?

You can try freezing physics, setting to default pose, then unfreezing. Might have to turn the atom on and off sometimes too.

Explosions are the result of a severe collision problem. How often does this happen and where? I would avoid scenes that often lead to explosions.
If your hardware is weak and you're having lower than 20 FPS in a scene, the chances of explosions are much higher.

Correct, it's being caused by severe collision issue's. I have a nice looking interior/house environment and there is one spot where my characters completely freak out. There is a hidden object or wall (probarly from the surrounding) that causes a collision.

I would pay attention what you do, that causes these issue's and then prevent doing to same.

Like it's being suggested, get a default pose and you can do a "Physics Explosion recovery" under the tab "Control & Physics 1". In this tab you can also turn off and on the character collision, sometimes very helpful.

I'm also wondering if you have this on a specific environment or different once aswell?

Last edited:
What sometimes happens is you apply a pose preset and the character moves into a collision position. If it's an environment, turn off collision on that before applying the pose. Sometimes applying a pose preset during an explosion can fix it.

Sorry, I should have elaborated more. It usually happens when I'm testing animations. They're doing the do and suddenly their hips shake and then they start flying everywhere. I usually remix really simple existing scenes to fit my models but this has been happening a lot lately.

Sorry, I should have elaborated more. It usually happens when I'm testing animations. They're doing the do and suddenly their hips shake and then they start flying everywhere. I usually remix really simple existing scenes to fit my models but this has been happening a lot lately.
Body have collision and limited movement too, It mostly happen when something else is lock by (on position). Exemple hip will collide with chest and won't go further so it start to shake first and if you push it more will explode.

Sometime you can parent a body part, exemple: head is parent of chest, so when you turn the head, chest will won't lock itself.

For intercourse, position and rotation for the hip should be on, pelvis off. I usually have abdomen 1&2 and chest off, but head on. Having a physics link active as soon as the action starts can also cause this. I use physics links a lot, but it's often better to have separate pose and action buttons to prevent explosions.

Not sure if another way to do it, but I never understood why there isn't an easy way for VAM to quickly detect that the explosion is happening and then provide a way to automatically disable collision or do a recovery on the atom exploding.

Sometimes when it happens, by the time you hurry over to the explosion recovery button, it's already too late, Vam already completely completely bricked and now needs a restart.

Maybe this can implemented with a creative trigger or plug in

For intercourse, position and rotation for the hip should be on, pelvis off. I usually have abdomen 1&2 and chest off, but head on. Having a physics link active as soon as the action starts can also cause this. I use physics links a lot, but it's often better to have separate pose and action buttons to prevent explosions.
Thank you, I'll try and see if this is what's causing this!

To add this, I've tried out a few scenes from different creators and this is actually a fairly common issue with VAM because there are so many variables with looks, environments, plugins (especially if they have randomizers that add more movement), user System Settings compared to what the scene was created with, user System Specs that cause a drop in FPS and cause things to not load as quickly as needed, etc.

However probably the biggest issue is the creator did not create the scene and check the poses for when collision is off. What this means is you turn off collision and you will see the feet go through the floor/get stuck caught through the floor or other parts of the environment. Sometimes as a creator you do check all these things and somehow later with collision off it changes. And you're like I swore with collision off this was not going through that and now it is. So you fix it again. So it's one of those things creators have to really watch out for and double check. This is probably the biggest issue with collision/explosion issues. With collision off you see the feet go through the floor for example is a scene that has a higher chance of explosion issues.

-The main thing you can do is check the Scale of the models before you replace any on the Control tabs of those models. Some creators will use 1.0 and 1.0 models, some will use a different scale and this will throw off all sorts of alignment and can cause feet to go through floors/get stuck in things like the other person's body, etc.

-The other thing is you might check your FPS to see if it's dropping a lot. Some scenes have higher requirements based on the number of people in it, if there are mirror/monitor effects that duplicate rendering requirements, and other things like lights/etc. You could try turning off some things you can do without to see if your FPS starts going back up and that could help it process the animation/movement better.

-Regardless of how good your PC specs are, changing out an appearance in the middle of a moving animation can cause an explosion, especially if that model you load in was created with a different scale and they load in at a .93 when it's a 1.0 scale model in the scene. They then load in off alignment and can end up loading with body parts mixed into the other person, like a hand that is supposed to be on the hips, is now inside it and gets stuck with movement and causes an explosion. So you want to be sure you stop the animation and then switch the model out and then check scaling to make sure it's at the right scale. Even replacing a 1.0 model with a 1.0 while it's moving can cause issues so try to stop the animation first.

-You may want to note what animation it happens on and let the creator know on which animation, and try disabling plugins that increase randomization. It's really hard for a creator to test all the variables with a randomizer against all the variables out there so none can guarantee they will work for everyone. So some you may have to turn off these added randomizers by removing them on the model. Like removing BodyLanguage, removing added plugins that alter the base model.

-Moving fast between animations can also cause it sometimes. This could be a limitation of VAM or those plugins like Timeline possibly but I have seen it happen on scenes that everything is aligned if you move slowly from animation to animation but start jumping fast and it ends up off aligned. Leave it there long enough off aligned and it can cause an explosion. So one added tip is if you see it off aligned, quickly switch to another animation and back so it can reset to the original starting pose if possible that is usually aligned.

There are some creators that will use animations in a series of 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 1A is the one that is aligned and 1B and the rest have no starting pose set to load on start so it plays more natural and doesn't jump, it just continues from the last animation movement. But the downside of this is explosion issues/off alignment issues can happen on the animations with no saved starting pose, especially if you start moving the models with your VR hands or mouse pointer or shift them somehow. For these you have to go back to the animation that has it aligned or 1A to reset the alignment then go back through to avoid collision issues. The main point being, go back to one that is aligned as soon as you see an alignment issue.

For the most part when it happens, if none of the above helps, you may have to just skip that scene.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom