Question How to set character height in inch/cm

TommyTomahawk

Reactions
Website
www.pixiv.net
The character I'm making has a specific height. And obviously, so do I, the player. The only "size" sliders that I've found operate on a scale of "0,00" to "1,00", not exactly very informative numbers. How tall is a female character set to 1,00? How can I make my character exactly, say, 160 centimeters (or whatever the feet-inch equivalent is)?

I have a prop for DAZ called "measurewall" that I use in all of my 2D art, maybe I can import it into VAM and use it here.
2021-12-05.png

There are various assets for this. Have not tried any of these, though ;)

For example:

Upvote 0
There are various assets for this. Have not tried any of these, though ;)

For example:
Great stuff, this will help a lot for sure. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just so you know, in Vam's grid system, the distance units are in meters. The "height" morph values don't correspond to any actual height as there are several morphs that affect body size.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What he meant was that if you add some object, say a sphere, and position it at 0/0/0 in the world....and another object at 0/1/0, the object centers will be exactly 1 meter apart.

Character height does not use these world unity, its a multiplier of the default character height, whatever that is.

Upvote 0
What he meant was that if you add some object, say a sphere, and position it at 0/0/0 in the world....and another object at 0/1/0, the object centers will be exactly 1 meter apart.

Character height does not use these world unity, its a multiplier of the default character height, whatever that is.
How needlessly complicated and vague, like a lot of VAM. Anyway that thing with the sphere isn't really a reliable way to measure a character's height.

I used a plugin the other day, designed specifically for the purposes of measuring characters (I think it was that first height measure plugin you linked). It put lines on the character (crown of the head, shoulders, hip, etc) but no units were displayed anywhere on the screen so it was useless. Honestly I've been grinding away at VAM, but of everything I try only about 5% actually works as intended.

Upvote 0
It all sounds about right (grid location part), don't see how it's vague & complicated (i mean true, VAM can be overwhelming at first, with lack of documentation).

Actual position is the key, forget the sphere it was just an example (it can be cube, floor, whatever).
Measurements are "correct" if you look at actual position (not the size of atom/sphere/cube).
When moving something from x=0 to x=0.500, you moved it half a metre

Better question would be "how much of accuracy there is?" (example bellow):
-170.7cm (using height messure plugin)
Untitled.jpg

-but...when lowering top floor head collision starts at Y=1744
(this could be collision range issue or position, since character is raised a bit (default "T" pose) and not standing at Y=0)
Untitled2.jpg

-so...how tall is she...when you remove minor levitation of ~0.013, probably around 172 something

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It all sounds about right (grid location part), don't see how it's vague & complicated (i mean true, VAM can be overwhelming at first, with lack of documentation).

Actual position is the key, forget the sphere it was just an example (it can be cube, floor, whatever).
Measurements are "correct" if you look at actual position (not the size of atom/sphere/cube).
When moving something from x=0 to x=0.500, you moved it half a metre

Better question would be "how much of accuracy there is?" (example bellow):
-170.7cm (using height messure plugin)
View attachment 80516
-but...when lowering top floor head collision starts at Y=1744
(this could be collision range issue or position, since character is raised a bit (default "T" pose) and not standing at Y=0)
View attachment 80517
-so...how tall is she...when you remove minor levitation of ~0.013, probably around 172 something
Those numbers, I don't have them. That's what I'm saying. It's just not working. I get the lines, but no text.

Upvote 0
Those numbers, I don't have them. That's what I'm saying. It's just not working. I get the lines, but no text.
If you go the the "move" tab of the atom it will display the x,y,z coordinates of the atom. That's where you read the numbers.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom