PositiveResult

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
PositiveResult
I'm new to making resources, i have made a couple basic clothes but there's been a few failures.

I need help with presets, some vanilla items like the Tank Top have "States" which can be selected, I'd love to do that instead of having a bunch of presets, is there a way?

Those built-in clothing "states" are hardcoded. AFAIK only options are presets or multiple entries inside clothing catalog (not ideal).

v1.21.0.4 added option of loading custom sim textures. Maybe you can find use for it (different sim presets)?

Those built-in clothing "states" are hardcoded. AFAIK only options are presets or multiple entries inside clothing catalog (not ideal).

v1.21.0.4 added option of loading custom sim textures. Maybe you can find use for it (different sim presets)?

Thanks for the info! Currently I'm doing multiple entries in clothing catalog, how would I go about different states as presets of a single clothing item?

Here is example of different states I've made, currently i make the default model, port it to VAM, then modify the model in my 3D software to resemble the state i'm trying to make and then port that into VAM as another clothing item, obviously this gets cluttered quickly so would love to learn how to achieve this with just presets, thanks.

Screenshot1.png

In this case, again AFAIK, multiple entires is the only way. Yes, it clutters catalog, but it is what it is.
Other creators (one example: YameteOuji) are doing it the same way (when it comes to different states).
You can only do as much with sim texture. For transparent or torn stuff you can use single entry with different alpha and normals.

Maybe, you can try different sim texture for more simple stuff. Like "off-shoulder" shirt Vs dressed.
But raising it (example from image above, state 3 Vs. state 1) might require some sim tricks (negative gravity and "sticky" sim texture).

Even then end result might look terrible when compared to using multiple entries.
Tbh I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;)

EDIT: One example of sim texture switch that comes to mind is top from this resource:
It works on this example, but pulling it up could look less natural with "floating" gravity settings.

Edit2: clarification & typo

Last edited:
Well that's unfortunate, I don't want to flood peoples catalogs with variations so I'll try make use of sim texture switching where it's applicable, thanks for the tips!

Well that's unfortunate, I don't want to flood peoples catalogs with variations so I'll try make use of sim texture switching where it's applicable, thanks for the tips!
On the flip side, I absolutely love it when people put out multiple variations of a clothing item in different states of undress! I wish more people would!

Multiple sim textures are nice, but it wont do what your trying to do. Multiple clothing items are the only way to go for this.

On the flip side, I absolutely love it when people put out multiple variations of a clothing item in different states of undress! I wish more people would!

Multiple sim textures are nice, but it wont do what your trying to do. Multiple clothing items are the only way to go for this.

I also love having lots of options but when you have lots of clothing mods it becomes tedious sorting through them all, I might try mess with tags so it's atleast easy to filter out variations and it doesn't get too cluttered :) hopefully one day they add support for having multiple states, would be awesome to just make a bunch of morphs on your model, import that and have all those morphs as states you can switch between.

It would be cool to have an expandable sub-menu for clothing states or sets from the clothing menu, so you could add multiple items to the same set. It could work well for both outfits and clothing states, so clicking on the main item would load the whole outfit prefab, or the expanded menu would allow you to select individual items or pick different states of undress etc. That way everything would be together, and you wouldn't need to scroll through 20 different items in the clothing list when you are not using them.

I have two custom tags that help a lot: "adjustable" for clothing with different states, and "favorites" for things I use a lot.

I also make clothing presets containing all the "adjustable" options in a state. Filter for "active", then unload all but one. the others stay in your "active clothing" list until you update it, making it easy to switch between them.

Back
Top Bottom