How to launch without SteamVR (Performance Increase)

Guides How to launch without SteamVR (Performance Increase)

Maybe there is something wrong with VirtualDesktop. I just downloaded it. When I right click its icon, The "Launch Game" selection is gray.
Bit late however, launch game section will only be active from VR, so when connected to VD desktop from quest. Just create a .bat with command "[VD path]\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "[VAM path]\VaM.exe" Stick it on destop, point the pointer,clicky da fingers and presto. Vam without steam.

When i try this with the virtual desktop method, the game start but its very jittery and unplayable.
Any idea what could cause this?

When i try this with the virtual desktop method, the game start but its very jittery and unplayable.
Any idea what could cause this?
Is VAM normally like that for you even without this method? If so you'll need to adjust your graphics settings

I haven't played VAM in VR in a while. When I last played, I could hit the 90 fps max of my headset in a simple scene. Months later, I tried launching VR mode again but no matter what I do I can't seem to get over 30 fps even in an empty scene. This is using a clean install a VAM with no additional vars. Vsync is disabled ingame and in the NVIDIA control panel, I don't have a frame rate limit set in the control panel either. I'm completely at a lost at what could be causing this as it only happens with VAM, every other games runs fine. This is through Oculus. If I launch through SteamVR, I get about 50 fps but it is unstable.

Edit: I also have ASW disabled in the Oculus debug tool.

Last edited:
I haven't played VAM in VR in a while. When I last played, I could hit the 90 fps max of my headset in a simple scene. Months later, I tried launching VR mode again but no matter what I do I can't seem to get over 30 fps even in an empty scene. This is using a clean install a VAM with no additional vars. Vsync is disabled ingame and in the NVIDIA control panel, I don't have a frame rate limit set in the control panel either. I'm completely at a lost at what could be causing this as it only happens with VAM, every other games runs fine. This is through Oculus. If I launch through SteamVR, I get about 50 fps but it is unstable.

Edit: I also have ASW disabled in the Oculus debug tool.
Might be a deep underlying problem that's not VAM related, have you tried other VR games or apps and are they the same? Just taking a first guess here

Might be a deep underlying problem that's not VAM related, have you tried other VR games or apps and are they the same? Just taking a first guess here
Managed to fix it. For some reason ASW was still activating in VAM but not in other games despite being disabled in the debug tool. I confirmed this using the Oculus performance profiler. I had to download and use OculusTrayTool to disable it in VAM.

Thanks Thinoreos. Very easy to follow. I jump between opencomposite vdxr + openxr toolkit and just the VD batfile. I've a question. I read someone mention that with the VD batfile method, I can use VR Mod App to run foveated or upscaler stuff that's in the VRPerfKit. I've experimented a long time but don't think they work unless I go the opencomposite method. Curious of your opinion on this. I'd prefer not to use VDXR since my pointers start pointing in a little awkward angle. The way I know that it works on VDXR is that it can go into debug mode whereas with VR Mod App, I've no way to tell that the settings are running since the debug mode doesn't appear in VaM.

Another question is - do you also use the VD SSW setting with and set double FPS? This is another topic I read from the community somewhere that this setting could give extra FPS.

Thanks Thinoreos. Very easy to follow. I jump between opencomposite vdxr + openxr toolkit and just the VD batfile. I've a question. I read someone mention that with the VD batfile method, I can use VR Mod App to run foveated or upscaler stuff that's in the VRPerfKit. I've experimented a long time but don't think they work unless I go the opencomposite method. Curious of your opinion on this. I'd prefer not to use VDXR since my pointers start pointing in a little awkward angle. The way I know that it works on VDXR is that it can go into debug mode whereas with VR Mod App, I've no way to tell that the settings are running since the debug mode doesn't appear in VaM.

Another question is - do you also use the VD SSW setting with and set double FPS? This is another topic I read from the community somewhere that this setting could give extra FPS.
That's great! I personally don't use open composite +vdxr for this because the controls with Opencomposite are messed up, and like you said the angles are wrong. There's no way to adjust the settings from within open composite as the dev doesn't support it for this too. The performance gains are also similar between running in Oculus mode & running with Opencomposite, so there's really no point IMO.

SSW doesn't "double" your fps, it interpolates it so it makes it look like it's double the fps for half the performance. You can try it for yourself, for me it looks pretty terrible and jelly like, but for those with lower specs it can help with performance at the cost of visual jigglys, but again try it for yourself!

I'm also having the jitter issues while using Virtual Desktop with a Quest 2. The framerate is all over the place and the head tracking is snapping and rubberbanding back and forth to a nauseating degree. It doesn't do this while using the native AirLink connection.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

I'm also having the jitter issues while using Virtual Desktop with a Quest 2. The framerate is all over the place and the head tracking is snapping and rubberbanding back and forth to a nauseating degree. It doesn't do this while using the native AirLink connection.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?
Is your SteamVR on? Is ASW on?

I fixed the issue by deleting the dxgi.dll file that came with the vrperfkit (VR Performance Toolkit) for anyone suffering the same jittering / stuttering problem.

Quest 3 (PCVR link cable) + Vive trackers. Launching steamVR seems mandatory for my trackers to be recognized. Anyway to bypass this restriction? I would love to gain some more FPS in VR, I used to have a decent experience when I was not using steamVR, but now that I have the trackers...

I had this working perfectly (first option). But now when I open the .bat it just opens it in Note pad and does nothing. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Quest 3 (PCVR link cable) + Vive trackers. Launching steamVR seems mandatory for my trackers to be recognized. Anyway to bypass this restriction? I would love to gain some more FPS in VR, I used to have a decent experience when I was not using steamVR, but now that I have the trackers...
Sorry not through this method, but you could use the VR perf kit method for SteamVR to help performance a bit

I had this working perfectly (first option). But now when I open the .bat it just opens it in Note pad and does nothing. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?
Redo the whole .bat file, if still giving issues might be a windows thing for you. Can check around like here: https://superuser.com/questions/1415142/batch-file-will-not-run-only-opens-notepad

Back
Top Bottom