How to launch without SteamVR (Performance Increase)

Guides How to launch without SteamVR (Performance Increase)

Note that you use some beneficial features of SteamVR such as upscaling (better image quality) and smooth motion (gives illusion of much higher framerate).
Note that you use some beneficial features of SteamVR such as upscaling (better image quality) and smooth motion (gives illusion of much higher framerate).

Personally the upscaling (render resolution) inside VAM is better than SteamVR's upscaling, in the fact that you get more performance + visuals without SteamVR running, but SteamVR upscaling is always an option if you want it too

How do you access those settings? I can't find them.

How do you access those settings? I can't find them.

Go to SteamVR settings. See screenshot below:
1687541635909.png

Personally the upscaling (render resolution) inside VAM is better than SteamVR's upscaling, in the fact that you get more performance + visuals without SteamVR running, but SteamVR upscaling is always an option if you want it too

Either is a good option. I like the Auto option in SteamVR because it will upscale depending on performance.

Also, motion smoothing is a must have to turn on. Literally makes VAM so much more playable when native framerates dip and even when "normal". Motion is liquid smooth at higher framerates and makes lower choppy framerates more normalized.

Either is a good option. I like the Auto option in SteamVR because it will upscale depending on performance.

Also, motion smoothing is a must have to turn on. Literally makes VAM so much more playable when native framerates dip and even when "normal". Motion is liquid smooth at higher framerates and makes lower choppy framerates more normalized.
To note, motion smoothing does not work with Oculus or WMR headsets, see here
Virtual Desktop & Oculus both have their own versions of this, and in my opinion if your frames aren't dipping there's really no need to use Motion Smoothing/ASW/any form of smoothing, it makes it look pixelated and jelly. But again personal preference!

And you, my friend, are the true hero. All the tutorials I read online, are not beating this easy steps.

There's any method that works with the samsung hmd odyssey+?
Because I personally tried all of the three methods but none of them seems to work.

There's any method that works with the samsung hmd odyssey+?
Because I personally tried all of the three methods but none of them seems to work.
As far as I know that headset runs on WMR so the only option is option 3 with OpenXR/Composite. It can be very finicky with different headsets and PCs, so it's hit & miss with that one

Doesn't work on my computer, SteamVR is also open when I run the .bat file. I also tried dragging vam.exe to VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe(Start Vam.exe with VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe), But it doesn't work still.

Attachments

• 1695576102315.png
    1695576102315.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
Doesn't work on my computer, SteamVR is also open when I run the .bat file. I also tried dragging vam.exe to VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe(Start Vam.exe with VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe), But it doesn't work still.
Maybe there is something wrong with VirtualDesktop. I just downloaded it. When I right click its icon, The "Launch Game" selection is gray.

Attachments

• 1695576248404.png
    1695576248404.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
That means you set up Virtual Desktop wrongly, I suggest looking at virtual desktop FAQ or asking them on the discord if you have issues with the Launch Game button

Sorry I'm new,I just started playing the vr version, and I wanted to ask why the in-game performance monitor shows half the fps that the vd shows? I see that your fps is almost the same for both, is there something I've set wrong?

Sorry I'm new,I just started playing the vr version, and I wanted to ask why the in-game performance monitor shows half the fps that the vd shows? I see that your fps is almost the same for both, is there something I've set wrong?
You might have ASW or SSW turned on, that halves the FPS

So Virtual desktop on my quest 3 worked just fine when i first got it, but recently every time I boot up VAM whenever i move my head it gets so choppy that it actually starts to make me nauseous. Not when I'm seeing my desktop mind you cause its smooth then, only when vam is open. Anyone have any idea why? Frame rates are steady, my latency ranges from ~30 to ~ 45, im using a 5ghz wifi set up with 850Mbps+.

So Virtual desktop on my quest 3 worked just fine when i first got it, but recently every time I boot up VAM whenever i move my head it gets so choppy that it actually starts to make me nauseous. Not when I'm seeing my desktop mind you cause its smooth then, only when vam is open. Anyone have any idea why? Frame rates are steady, my latency ranges from ~30 to ~ 45, im using a 5ghz wifi set up with 850Mbps+.
You might be encountering network interference. Lower your bit rate all the way down and see if it still occurs.
Also the Quest 3 is extremely buggy right now with networking stuff, it's a real pain in the butt

Regarding using Oculus as outlined below, I have a Rift S so don't have airlink. Do I add the bat file to my Oculus library?

B) Using Oculus
If you have an Oculus/Meta headset, you can launch with Airlink or Link. Copy or create an OpenVR bat file. You can find one already in the VaM folder called VaM (OpenVR).bat.
1. Copy and paste VaM(OpenVR).bat. You can rename it to whatever you like, I call mine VaM(Oculus).bat
2. Right click, click Edit
3. Change -vrmode OpenVR to -vrmode oculus
The final text should be this: START "VaM" VaM.exe -vrmode oculus
4. Save the file, close it and you're done. Now launch Oculus Airlink/Link through your headset, double click on this and it will launch without SteamVR.

example2.jpg

Regarding using Oculus as outlined below, I have a Rift S so don't have airlink. Do I add the bat file to my Oculus library?

B) Using Oculus
If you have an Oculus/Meta headset, you can launch with Airlink or Link. Copy or create an OpenVR bat file. You can find one already in the VaM folder called VaM (OpenVR).bat.
1. Copy and paste VaM(OpenVR).bat. You can rename it to whatever you like, I call mine VaM(Oculus).bat
2. Right click, click Edit
3. Change -vrmode OpenVR to -vrmode oculus
The final text should be this: START "VaM" VaM.exe -vrmode oculus
4. Save the file, close it and you're done. Now launch Oculus Airlink/Link through your headset, double click on this and it will launch without SteamVR.

example2.jpg
As far as I know, Rift should be fine launching in link the same way in Oculus runtime. Doesn't need airlink. Just do exactly the same steps here don't do anything differently, let us know if it works

Back
Top Bottom