How to bring your blender clothes in-game and save them as a .var file

Guides How to bring your blender clothes in-game and save them as a .var file

I think you may have missed a step when exporting from Blender. There are a lot of different options and check boxes that you didn't explain. I checked "Selected Only" as you instructed and didn't touch anything else. When I tried to open this exported obj file in Daz nothing showed up on the canvas. It appeared to be blank.

If you'd like to try this for yourself with the free Blender clothing file I downloaded from Turbosquid, here is the link:

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/workout-shorts-blender-blend/971685

Hoping these instructions will eventually work since I'd love to be able to use Blender clothing in Daz.

I think you may have missed a step when exporting from Blender. There are a lot of different options and check boxes that you didn't explain. I checked "Selected Only" as you instructed and didn't touch anything else. When I tried to open this exported obj file in Daz nothing showed up on the canvas. It appeared to be blank.

If you'd like to try this for yourself with the free Blender clothing file I downloaded from Turbosquid, here is the link:

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/workout-shorts-blender-blend/971685

Hoping these instructions will eventually work since I'd love to be able to use Blender clothing in Daz.
The first thing I say in the guide is select your clothing item, then go to export

When exporting with select only, you must select your mesh when exporting.
hence the reason why you don't see any mesh in daz

----

New clothing makers don't need to worry about anything in the.obj export options, except for selecting only.
-

This guide is intended for new clothing creator.
AND is not a guide about porting and importing assets into the game.

Last edited:
The title of this post is:

"How to bring your blender clothes in-game and save them as a .var file"​

And the first line of your guide says "This guide will demonstrate how to fully import your blender clothing so you should probably change that to "This guide will demonstrate how to fully import ORIGINAL CLOTHING YOU CREATED IN BLENDER"

I think it was reasonable of someone like me who obtained a free Blender clothing item and expected step-by-step directions on how to bring it into VaM based on your post title and opening instructions.

The title of this post is:

"How to bring your blender clothes in-game and save them as a .var file"​

And the first line of your guide says "This guide will demonstrate how to fully import your blender clothing so you should probably change that to "This guide will demonstrate how to fully import ORIGINAL CLOTHING YOU CREATED IN BLENDER"

I think it was reasonable of someone like me who obtained a free Blender clothing item and expected step-by-step directions on how to bring it into VaM based on your post title and opening instructions.

I'm not labeling this guide about porting or original content because this can guide can import both type of content.

this will guide work with what you have in mind

FOR the comment I said above

New clothing makers don't need to worry about anything in the.obj export options, except for selecting only.

it is true that original creators will have an easier time following this guide because they don't need to worry about stuff that porters need to do to.

the comment doesn't change the fact that the select mesh will work with any mesh; meaning ported clothing and original clothing will both work with this guide.

I will not go further into this topic about porting and original content since I assume people will have problems down the road and need help, and the last thing I want is have a wall of text of back and forth about something off topic.

I understand this is a modding platform, so I very much understand the want to take an easier way to get into the creator space.

I'm here to help people of any troubles they may have when they didn't know they skipped a step in this guide.

Last edited:
From my humble non-clothing creator view, here is one observation about the reset pose in VAM:
When you do the "reset pose", the character does go into the default t-pose for a fraction of a second, but then the pose gets altered when the physics kick in
on the character control nodes. So, to avoid that, click/enable "Freeze Physics" checkbox in the C&P 1 tab before you click on "Reset Pose".
Like I mentioned, I'm not much of a clothing creator, but it looks like the binding of the imported clothing to the vertices of the person atom is based on the position of both relative to each other, so if the pose in VAM is different ('cause of the physics) from your default pose in Blender and DAZ (that was used to create the clothing), it might make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom