• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

How to create a Var File

Guides How to create a Var File

JoyBoy

Featured Contributor
Reactions
JoyBoy submitted a new resource:

How to create a Var File - Please people use this guide...Ya I'm talking to you.

This is a quick and dirty guide on how to create a .var file in Virt-A-Mate.
I created this information for a friend, decided to post it on the hub. Thought It could be helpful for others.

Use the red numbers below for locational reference. When it comes to creating a var file go to the package builder (#1).
View attachment 37212

First, if you are new to VAM before everything else make show you...

Read more about this resource...

Code:
Click on the green button that says "prep package" (#4).
A big button that says "fix refer....." should show up above the green button.
Click on it. (If the button doesn't show up know that there isn't any problem that needed fixing).

You might wanna extend this step a little, don't think you should press/spam fix everytime.
Someone might use stuff from already included VAM vars that are not hubHosted.
example:Xstatic particles, Vince skirt, NoStage3 hair, MeshedVR vars/plugins,...etc.
That would just create unnecessary duplicates and license verifications steps.

Other then that good guide. (y)

@RandomVAMUser So when I create a VAR package that includes dependencies that weren't actually used in the scene, is it because of the "fix" option? You're saying it is possible to finalize a VAR package without "fixing" it? This is my main frustration with the VAR system. I waste a lot of time with this... I don't understand this behavior. If you have a "hub-hosted" VAR package that includes references to "non-hub-hosted" resources, but you use a resource actually contained in the "hub-hosted" VAR, but not the other "non-hub-hosted" resources, why would it include those resources in the dependency list at all? Is the list being populated including the referencesed VAR package's dependencies, irrespective of the specific resources being used?? That will quickly make a mess of things... This is definitely spam...

....You're saying it is possible to finalize a VAR package without "fixing" it?.....If you have a "hub-hosted" VAR package that includes references to "non-hub-hosted" resources, but you use a resource actually contained in the "hub-hosted" VAR, but not the other "non-hub-hosted" resources, why would it include those resources in the dependency list at all? Is the list being populated including the referencesed VAR package's dependencies, irrespective of the specific resources being used?? That will quickly make a mess of things... This is definitely spam...

Well of course you can finalize var without fixing/adding refrences used in scene (that are not hub hosted).
example my RC scene, i didn't fix/include CycleForce.cs plugin (since i know everybody have it)
or on my 2 looks from december i didn't fix/include reference for Xstatic.MegaParticlepack.1.var, or with Lexy hair on Tina look
(not hubhoster, everyone have it on v1.20.x or later)

As for unused dependencies, one example could be presets (not really var package issue).
if you load look appearance preset from another var it becomes dependency after you save your new look/scene.
But if you go under preset name and remove previously loaded preset name+path and save it, it's no longer dependency (its strange vam bug with preset loads and saves).

EDIT: here is example of preset issue
new empty scene,
new person,
load Kayla preset from MeshedVR.PresetsPack.2.var,
load hair preset by NoStage3 (from NoStage3.Hair_Long_Upswept_Top_Bun.1.var),
replace hair to builtin Ren's Simone.
add 2 builtin plugins
saved scene and build package
reference.jpg

You see what i mean by save scene preset loads?

EDIT2:
Now loading same scene
removing hair preset name/path
removing appearance name/path
saving scene again and build
reference2.jpg

Like i said, you should not auto spam fix all. :LOL:

Last edited:
Well of course you can finalize var without fixing/adding refrences used in scene (that are not hub hosted).
example my RC scene, i didn't fix/include CycleForce.cs plugin (since i know everybody have it)
or on my 2 looks from december i didn't fix/include reference for Xstatic.MegaParticlepack.1.var, or with Lexy hair on Tina look
(not hubhoster, everyone have it on v1.20.x or later)

As for unused dependencies, one example could be presets (not really var package issue).
if you load look appearance preset from another var it becomes dependency after you save your new look/scene.
But if you go under preset name and remove previously loaded preset name+path and save it, it's no longer dependency (its strange vam bug with preset loads and saves).

EDIT: here is example of preset issue
new empty scene,
new person,
load Kayla preset from MeshedVR.PresetsPack.2.var,
load hair preset by NoStage3 (from NoStage3.Hair_Long_Upswept_Top_Bun.1.var),
replace hair to builtin Ren's Simone.
add 2 builtin plugins
saved scene and build package
View attachment 37440
You see what i mean by save scene preset loads?

EDIT2:
Now loading same scene
View attachment 37441
Like i said, you should not auto spam fix all. :LOL:
Emphasis should placed on the word BUG... Otherwise brilliant system. Thank you for the tip!

Emphasis should placed on the word BUG... Otherwise brilliant system. Thank you for the tip!

Heh, yeah this also applies to all presets (look, hair, morph, skin...etc).

But on side note.
If you use actual dependency that has other non-hub hosted dependencies (example: vam included, patreon hosted, paid, whatever)
you can't really do much about it, maybe your dependency use some morph or texture from that var or something...or preset bug. :LOL:
Your one option (IF var licence allows it)
is to extract your var depencency and use files locally and then include them in your own var (but that is not ideal and it only makes duplicates for others).

I know people wanna showcase and include everything, but actual var system is great if used right.
But when there is dependency of dependency of dependency....yeah.:rolleyes:

@RandomVAMUser I spoke to soon... In your case the "fix references" solution was not an appropriate solution, but in my case, the problem references were "automatically" included and therefore cannot be excluded (using the "fix references wizard"). Furthermore, it is not sub-divided into it's sub-dependencies in the "References" window. In other words, I cannot edit the sub-dependencies directly (using the wizard). All of the other recommendations offered by the wizard were appropriate and necessary (in my case). What we both can agree on is that this is an annoying bug!
The work around is to manually edit the meta file manifest deleting the "ghost entries" However, only if you know what you are doing! One misplaced bracket and the meta file is trashed!

Last edited:
@fubar_life123 Well this is your "other" option (last resort) and one that is highly not recommended for newcomers/creators
that wanna start sharing stuff and trying to fix dependencies.

Sure it's easy to get var "bricked" with meta, but also it's not like you corrupt files completely.
You can still "un-brick" it, if you know where and what to look for.
For newcomers comparing meta.json structure with meta files from other vars "might" help to give some insight...but mostly useless.
But using notepad++ with different style preset could help identify wrong or missing bracet/comma way easier,
also jstool or json viewer plugin is an option.

But then again, if it comes down to this then, yes, we agree it's a bug! (not counting "minor" preset issue). 😒

on sidenote: Using 2nd clean/up2date client for testing stuff before releasing can go long way, plus it's less then 20GB.

@fubar_life123 Well this is your "other" option (last resort) and one that is highly not recommended for newcomers/creators
that wanna start sharing stuff and trying to fix dependencies.

Sure it's easy to get var "bricked" with meta, but also it's not like you corrupt files completely.
You can still "un-brick" it, if you know where and what to look for.
For newcomers comparing meta.json structure with meta files from other vars "might" help to give some insight...but mostly useless.
But using notepad++ with different style preset could help identify wrong or missing bracet/comma way easier,
also jstool or json viewer plugin is an option.

But then again, if it comes down to this then, yes, we agree it's a bug! (not counting "minor" preset issue). 😒

on sidenote: Using 2nd clean/up2date client for testing stuff before releasing can go long way, plus it's less then 20GB.
I'm sure your a nice person but please don't misquote me ->>>> "One misplaced bracket and the meta file is trashed! " I did not say the VAR package is trashed... I'm not a VaM noob just a noob to creating VAR packages and programming (sort of)... Well not really a noob to programming. My knowledge is incomplete. Working on that!

Last edited:
I'm sure your a nice person but please don't misquote me ->>>> "One misplaced bracket and the meta file is trashed! " I did not say the VAR package is trashed... I'm not a VaM noob just a noob to creating VAR packages and programming (sort of)... Well not really a noob to programming. My knowledge is incomplete. Working on that!
I also use notepad++ with the default JSON style preset. It will identify bracket pairs by highlighting partner when highlighting the other, however, it doesn't turn red or warn you like Visual Studio does. If there is another preset you could recommend or some hidden feature that finds unpaired brackets, that would be a useful. It's not something I do that often, but until an update comes, I can use that to fix the meta files.
UPDATE: I found the JSON viewer plugin, again it doesn't directly flag missing brackets or anything like that. I just creates a collapsible tree of the JSON file. If that feature exists I can't find it! Would be great though! Notepad++ is lighter-weight than Visual Studio.

Last edited:
Oh boy, guess i quickly jumped to conclusion, so i apologize if offened you with my stupidity.
The only time i need to edit meta.json inside var is when i wanna remove dependencies from it (and that is rarely).
To get rid of "red missing xyz" on loading without having to unpackage var files and have them all as local content or even worse, download stuff i don't use.

However I never had any need to manually add stuff inside meta (at this point that is my understanding...you are trying to do? or i am stupid again?).
Anyway i just asumed you wanna delete stuff manually based on your msg above (you did mentioned sub-dependencies..stupid me).
But after looking at meta.json of your "The Cat" v1,2,3 i see mess of dependecies you have in v1 meta.
Also json incomplete, viewer drops error and stops tree around 2 extra close bracets,
but again clear line 65 & 66 and json fixed (not trashed "in my opinion")
Untitled.jpg
As for v2 and v3 json didn't show any phase errors and all you did is manually remove dependency.
(again i am not sure what are you tryin to do at this point...remove stuff from meta? or add? is package builder corrupting your meta?)
Untitled2.jpg
As for notepad++ i mostly use Dark style with good enough bracket highlight color, since everything is white by default (no dark mode).
As for highlighting incorrect bracket, no, there is are no such options builtin or plugin that im aware of.
The only builtin option is Highlighting completed bracket and search-jumping to other end or selecting all inside.

However there are some regex plugins, maybe that can helps you...i don't know regex, so yeah.

As for jsonviewer, yes it's only tree, but it drops error if json is incorrect and it stops entire tree around "dependency/line" where error is.
(easier to figure it out..that's what i meant by suggesting it)
As for JSTool it also has jsonviewer but you can navigate to each line/object from tree
(but doesn't show tree if json is incorrect, again thats why i suggested both of them)
There is also compare plugin i use (if you need to compare 2 files side by side).
Other plugins i use won't do you any use, so forget about it.

...anyway this discussion page is kinda going of course.
and i only wanted to point out about already included "fix references" and preset bug....so i just gonna quetly bounce out,

Apologies again! 🙏 @fubar_life123

PS. English is not my main language (grammar, typos and misunderstanding is common in my case)

Oh boy, guess i quickly jumped to conclusion, so i apologize if offened you with my stupidity.
The only time i need to edit meta.json inside var is when i wanna remove dependencies from it (and that is rarely).
To get rid of "red missing xyz" on loading without having to unpackage var files and have them all as local content or even worse, download stuff i don't use.

However I never had any need to manually add stuff inside meta (at this point that is my understanding...you are trying to do? or i am stupid again?).
Anyway i just asumed you wanna delete stuff manually based on your msg above (you did mentioned sub-dependencies..stupid me).
But after looking at meta.json of your "The Cat" v1,2,3 i see mess of dependecies you have in v1 meta.
Also json incomplete, viewer drops error and stops tree around 2 extra close bracets,
but again clear line 65 & 66 and json fixed (not trashed "in my opinion")
As for v2 and v3 json didn't show any phase errors and all you did is manually remove dependency.
(again i am not sure what are you tryin to do at this point...remove stuff from meta? or add? is package builder corrupting your meta?)
As for notepad++ i mostly use Dark style with good enough bracket highlight color, since everything is white by default (no dark mode).
As for highlighting incorrect bracket, no, there is are no such options builtin or plugin that im aware of.
The only builtin option is Highlighting completed bracket and search-jumping to other end or selecting all inside.

However there are some regex plugins, maybe that can helps you...i don't know regex, so yeah.

As for jsonviewer, yes it's only tree, but it drops error if json is incorrect and it stops entire tree around "dependency/line" where error is.
(easier to figure it out..that's what i meant by suggesting it)
As for JSTool it also has jsonviewer but you can navigate to each line/object from tree
(but doesn't show tree if json is incorrect, again thats why i suggested both of them)
There is also compare plugin i use (if you need to compare 2 files side by side).
Other plugins i use won't do you any use, so forget about it.

...anyway this discussion page is kinda going of course.
and i only wanted to point out about already included "fix references" and preset bug....so i just gonna quetly bounce out,

Apologies again! 🙏 @fubar_life123

PS. English is not my main language (grammar, typos and misunderstanding is common in my case)

No it's not really trashed... But I don't feel like chasing brackets or parenthesis... Some people prefer spending their time on more useful things... You know what I mean?? It's easier (in this case) just to star over again, with a new VAR package.

You are being creepy and passive aggressive... I sense a hidden agenda here.... This has more to do with your ego than fixing the problem, which is a bug that we have no control over anyway! Most people would leave it at that! You want to instill upon me this idea that you are superior to me... You'll deny it of course. It's not going to happen buddy... You can play all sorts of head games, but in the end... what will you have? You need psychological help. You are very sick... The above reply is evidence of the level of obsession to try to subdue me, you have no interest in finding a solution.

Last edited:

Sorry for being stoopid: I'm having a little trouble following you - what specifically do you mean by 'removing preset name/path'?

Ok, I've heard of that & 'knowing' VaM, that sounds like a thing it'd do. But what exactly do you mean by:

Delete the preset from the harddisk? Or flush the memory from unused resources? Renaming your scene file?

Same here:
Now loading same scene

What do you mean by removing the presets? In packagebuilder? There's just two files listed - your scene.json and the respective .jpg. Can you delete the items from the 'References' list in Packagemanager? o_O

first, thx alot for the work here!!!, but for my opinion its a way to complicated, makes no fun, AND here it dosnt work .. i have some issues have had so i rlease my stuff not with an var file at the moment, hopefully it will give an "one klick" var creator in the future inside vam, otherwise i dont want to use this complicated vam inbuild maker...
just to much work, and sometimes it dosnt work at least

first, thx alot for the work here!!!, but for my opinion its a way to complicated, makes no fun, AND here it dosnt work .. i have some issues have had so i rlease my stuff not with an var file at the moment, hopefully it will give an "one klick" var creator in the future inside vam, otherwise i dont want to use this complicated vam inbuild maker...
just to much work, and sometimes it dosnt work at least

There won't be any more VaM 1.x updates, and hence no better var creator than the builtin one. Yes, it's frustrating, makes stupid mistakes, and is a royal pain in the butt - Welcome to VaM!

Releasing resources as loose files or .vac ... I think I recall one guy who still does that (out of ~700 creators). He's not popular ...

If we have a scene that we have customized, how can we download it into a VAR? All of the tutorials I can find are all for how to create a completely brand new scene and make it a VAR.

If we have a scene that we have customized, how can we download it into a VAR? All of the tutorials I can find are all for how to create a completely brand new scene and make it a VAR.

Not sure I understand correctly - you mean you took a scene that came in a .var, then you modified it, and now you want to again make a .var from the modified scene? If so, you might want to check out this guide by hazmhox, that scenario is explicitly covered there -> https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/a-guide-to-updating-vars-and-plugins.27059/

Note: I'm no scene-creator myself - I was tangentially involved in the discussion that culminated in this guide here, but there's many more experienced guys than me, so take everything I say with a grain of salt!

Not sure I understand correctly - you mean you took a scene that came in a .var, then you modified it, and now you want to again make a .var from the modified scene? If so, you might want to check out this guide by hazmhox, that scenario is explicitly covered there -> https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/a-guide-to-updating-vars-and-plugins.27059/

Note: I'm no scene-creator myself - I was tangentially involved in the discussion that culminated in this guide here, but there's many more experienced guys than me, so take everything I say with a grain of salt!
Awesome, thank you

I'm trying to create a VAR file from a custom preset I made for a character (so I don't have to keep the original resources), doesn't work, the VAR is created succesfully but then I can't find it in-game.

I'm trying to create a VAR file from a custom preset I made for a character (so I don't have to keep the original resources), doesn't work, the VAR is created succesfully but then I can't find it in-game.

Ummmmh - sorry if this is kind of basic, but: You do know where to look for presets, right?
Appearance preset under the Appearance tab, Morph presets under Morph tab etcetc.?

No offense, but that's kind of an FAQ thing - ppl download an Appearance preset, go look for it in the scene browser & wonder why they can't find it there.

Ummmmh - sorry if this is kind of basic, but: You do know where to look for presets, right?
Appearance preset under the Appearance tab, Morph presets under Morph tab etcetc.?

No offense, but that's kind of an FAQ thing - ppl download an Appearance preset, go look for it in the scene browser & wonder why they can't find it there.
By making presets, you are dependent on having to keep storing the original resources in order to use them. What I want is not to have to store them anymore for optimisation reasons, as VaM takes a long time to load sometimes because of the huge amount of files I have stored.

Back
Top Bottom