Question How do I get my .rar files to work?

HazePanda

Reactions
How to i get my .rar files to work? I have been trying to get a look to work, but it is a .rar file. I tried to change the name to .var but every time I do it comes back and says, "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable." I thought, ok it says it might work, lets see. Tried many times. It does not work. Help?

If its really a RAR file, you will need some software like 7zip or WinRAR to unpack it and see what's inside. Then you can figure out what it actually is and in which folder it goes. However, hopefully the creator left instructions what to do with their custom stuff? VAR files have been standard for several of years now, there is no reason not to use them unless for very special circumstances (e.g. external non-VAM tools).

Relevant for others reading this: Note that for ridiculous reasons some browsers automatically rename VAR files into ZIP or RAR. Happens for example when downloading from Patreon. If that is the case, you have to rename them back to VAR. Details here:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom