Question Help going from FBX -> DAZ (.duf) -> VAM please

Rosemala

Reactions
I'm trying to make my first piece of clothing and it shows up okay if I make it as an AssetBundle in Unity, but that's apparently not compatible with the clothing creator.

When I export the FBX and go into DAZ Studio 4, then import it and go to save scene, then import that duf in VAM, what I see is the second picture.

The asset is rotated 90 degrees and 10 times too small. I've tried increasing the FBX scale to 10x and it looks bigger in DAZ, but still exports as tiny.

Why is DAZ saving the scene with the axes and scale wrong, and how can I fix it? Is there any way to skip DAZ and just use Blender?

Attachments

• 1620932579.jpg
    1620932579.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 0
I've made progress by not saving it as a scene but as a subscene and maybe messing with the link parent paremeters

Upvote 0
I spoke too soon and it's still importing like that.

Anyone know how to go from a normal Blender model to VAM clothing?

Upvote 0
I have no experience with VAM clothing but a little with Blender. Have you tried applying all transforms in Blender? Select your mesh in blender, ctrl + a, all transforms. Maybe that is something worth trying.

Upvote 0
Hi, this is a very typical issue with DAZ.
For preparing your FBX model as a clothing item, you have to somewhat "fit" it to the Genesis 2 figure, first.
If you open up DAZ and load the standard Genesis 2 figure, you need to make your custom model fit to that figure. For this, you usually have to move it around and scale it. If you save it as scene or sub-scene (I use sub-scene, too), that corrections you made will not be saved correctly. This is most probably what has happened, if I look at your pictures. To solve that issue, the most simple methode is to export your corrected model from DAZ as OBJ or FBX and import it again. (don't forget to erase the Genesis figure first). This should help most of the time. If this still does not help, there are still some other ways. For instance : Please select your custom model in the "scene tab" (it should have a "cube" icon in front of the name) , open the tabs "edit/Object/Rigging" and click "convert Prop to figure". The Icon in front of the model name should change and the figures bones are added to the model. Then save it as a Sub-scene as usual. This should do it.

An other typical issue: you may not see any textures on your imported VaM-clothes. Even if you add them manualy (some times only the images are not collected correctly by VaM and you have to copy them over by hand), you may not see them at all. In this case, the UV-Map of the model is not copied correctly.
This is only the worst case and a bit of tinkering around. In DAZ please go to the "surfaces" tab and make sure the textures are linking to a folder within the DAZ library folders (or maybe elsewhere), but NOT to the material files of the FBX or OBJ. If that will help it is fine, if not, you will unfortunately have to tinker around and try other things. For some vew of my own clothes I even gave up at a certain point. :-(
But maybe you want to try out the other things first, before that ;-)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll have to try this some more. I got fed up with Daz's interface. I hate it. It feels like Lightwave from the 90s.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom