Facegen - How to Optimize the Face Textures and / or optimize the Face Map to match a different Skin ?

TToby I have another question for you (or anyone who knows) that I think is still related to the original post topic: In the VaM textures folder there are several versions of face, limbs, gens and torso such as Torso D, Torso G, N and S. I've been using the D versions but do you know what the others are for and why are they there? Should I be using one of those instead?

In the VaM textures folder there are several versions of face, limbs, gens and torso such as Torso D, Torso G, N and S. I've been using the D versions but do you know what the others are for and why are they there? Should I be using one of those instead?
Those are all different texture maps, that you load in different skin(material) slots.
Diffuse (your main/base texture)
Specular (or shininess/reflection/metalness... depending on what texture you have, load them all in that slot)🤣
Glossiness (or roughness)
Normal (or bump map/height map)

Using naming: TorsoD, TorsoS, TorsoG, etc... is useful for 'mass import' (select folder to import/load all)
more info:

Thanks RandomVAMUser, but how would this apply to FaceGen? Are people using all four versions? That would be very time consuming the way FaceGen is set up. Then again, perhaps this explains the less than perfect results I'm getting by only using the D version.

...but how would this apply to FaceGen? Are people using all four versions?
I was only answering 'what are all those textures', i assumed that was your question?🤷‍♂️

Facegen only works with diffuse map, rest of it you have to create(generate) yourself... basically what @Juno said.
...or you can have bland vam model without those 'extras'.

Thanks RandomVAMUser, but how would this apply to FaceGen? Are people using all four versions? That would be very time consuming the way FaceGen is set up. Then again, perhaps this explains the less than perfect results I'm getting by only using the D version.
Unfortunately FaceGen can only generate the Duffuse Map, means the colored picture. You will need the other maps for very special purposes, like gloss, highlights, etc. I suggest you play around with some of the Gloss and Specular maps from ready made VaM skins. You will see, they will give a visible extra detail, but not THAT much. The included Specular and Gloss maps are very good. You will use them, if you simply left blanc the propriate texture slot (blanc = standard).
The Normal Map is what makes the biggest difference. With this you can add fine details like wrinkles, pores, etc. If you are very picky about your looks, you will sooner or later have to look into how those Normal maps works and how to create them. All those quick-generator tools have issues with the baked-in shadows of FaceGen textures, so maybe you have to edit them... but that is definitely something for an other thread. In the meantime, just use the build-in Normal Maps, or other ready made ones.
The poor results have not neccessarily to do with those textures, but most likely with FaceGen. Please read some of the FaceGen threads for detailed infos. You can get much better results when putting in some pre- and post-production work.

Back
Top Bottom