Easy way to make an avatar of yourself, but how to get it into VaM?

Jiraiya

Reactions
So there is an app called in3D. You can download it for free and scan yourself in a few seconds. It then uses cloud processing to make a fully rigged model with face blendshapes that you can export (for a cost) in multiple formats.
Assuming you can get an FBX or some such (they do metahuman and character creator specific outputs too), is there an easy path to import this model into VaM?

I have all the artistic talent of a blind hedgehog, in a bag. But, scanning myself and my partner into VaM would be an awesome way to avoid needing to hand model or fiddle with morphs.

Anybody tried this or have a suggestions how I could use this existing model in VaM? If I export it from Unity as an assetbundle it's not a "person" atom in Vam, so great for background characters etc but not for primary interaction.

Like everything else, if you're not willing to do the work the only option you have is to pay someone to do it.
If you are willing, then check the Guides section.

Vam only uses Genesis2 models from Daz3d, which is what all the morphs work on. You can import pretty much anything as a custom unity asset, but you wouldn't be able to use it like a person atom in vam.

If you have a model of yourself in a t pose, you can use that as a reference and make a genesis morph in blender and bake the textures of your photo scans too. I't not a simple click and done, but there are loads of videos and tutorials on blender and daz out there. It doesn't take huge artistic talent, but it can be daunting learning the software. The base geometry Genesis2 figure has fairly simple topology, so making morphs is not as intense as people think.

Try making a simple morph first to get the basics down. Then if you get a feel for it you can sculpt the genesis2 model to overlay your scanned one and create the morph.

Malmorality made a really handy tutorial for making morphs in blender

I'd say google blender texture baking as well

Geometry scanning creates really high poly meshes with awful topology which is bad for animation, so you wouldn't want to import that directly anyway.

Feel free to ask if you need tips along the way.

Back
Top Bottom