Does tons of vars reduce FPS or simply add load time?

Reactions
Trying to decide on a clean install with just whats vital, but if its only load time effected ill patiently wait for 2.0 and use my 4k var big load time vam.

Yes to both.
There's nothing stopping you from having more than one VAM folder if you want to divide your VARs

Do you mean a whole new VAM folder, with a whole new VAM.exe or do you mean just move the bloated /addonpackages to another location and start a new /addonpackages folder with only what you want?

I didn’t think about the second option until reading your post, seems a lot easier as I lost my creator key a while ago. Not sure if doing this would cause massive errors or problems with my already decent enough running version of VAM.

Doesn't have to be one or the other, I use both actually.
In terms of VAM folders I have a playing VAM with the stuff I use and a clean VAM with the base download with a few added updated packages. Sometimes when I'm making content and need to test it or package as a VAR, I make a copy of the clean VAM to do those things. I always have 2 VAM folders, sometimes it is 3, and also a backup on a different HDD, backup your stuff, people, always.
Besides the VAM folders I also have some VARs in a folder outside VAM. These are some scenes I liked but I only want to use on occasion, so whenever that day comes I move them to the playing VAM and afterwards move them out. No point having stuff you rarely want on a everyday VAM, making things slower, when I can just move them out easily.

If you lost your key I think you can just copy over the root files in the VAM folder over a fresh download and the key information will be there.

I didn’t think about the second option until reading your post, seems a lot easier as I lost my creator key a while ago.

You lost your key, but still have an unlocked version of vam installed? In your Vam root directory you'll find a "keys" folder. Inside that a "1.20" folder. Inside that a keys.json that you can open with a text editor to see your key. Email it to yourself so you'll always have it.

You lost your key, but still have an unlocked version of vam installed? In your Vam root directory you'll find a "keys" folder. Inside that a "1.20" folder. Inside that a keys.json that you can open with a text editor to see your key. Email it to yourself so you'll always have it.

Super helpful, thank you!

I tried a totally clean version of VAM and while the startup and menu screens go lightning fast compared to my bloated original VAM folder, I didn’t really see any noticeable difference in FPS unfortunately.

I probably built my hopes up too much, assuming my FPS were lagging just as much as my startup and load times, which would mean a new clean version of VAM would be… 4x? 5x faster?

yeah, I was way too optimistic. I wouldn’t doubt that there is a slight difference but gameplay wise I didn’t see any reason to keep porting over items to my clean VAM. Too much work for too little FPS gain, unless Im missing out on something.

Otherwise I’ll just stand there mouthbreathing in my VR headset for like a minute while my screens load like I usually do lol 😂

Bloated VAM is just slow at each aspect. Open person's menu - wait, add plugin - wait... etc. FPS are slowed down but it's not as big as overall UI slowness. Bloated VAM - 10-20% (?) FPS less and sometimes unusable UI.

Back
Top Bottom