Question DAZ to VAM via Unity - Window Transparency?

PiddlyD

Reactions
So, I'm playing around at this point with transferring DAZ "environment" scenes into VAM using Unity as a bridge. It is all going pretty well - but any CLEAR iray materials don't seem to make the journey right. Windows and mirrors for example. In the case of mirrors, the reflective surface is completely absent after an import - but Windows - the transparency only works in one direction. From OUTSIDE the scene you can see through windows, but INSIDE it, the windows are opaque.

There must be something I'm missing. I can't really remove the Window material in DAZ or in Unity - do I need to find it, and the material, in Blender and remove it there?

No mate, you just need a correct material to add to your assets. There are a lot around, usually on car assets and such. Just grab a free model from sketchfab or the like. My winzip expired and this site wont allow me to attach a rar file so I cannot send you the mats I have at the moment.

Just wanted you to know you can easily sort it. When you get one just drag and drop the material globe on window/surface and you are good to go. You might have to set the model to not use the embedded textures before being able to change mats or even textures. I am a newbie at this but used Daz for quite awhile.

Upvote 0
No mate, you just need a correct material to add to your assets. There are a lot around, usually on car assets and such. Just grab a free model from sketchfab or the like. My winzip expired and this site wont allow me to attach a rar file so I cannot send you the mats I have at the moment.

Just wanted you to know you can easily sort it. When you get one just drag and drop the material globe on window/surface and you are good to go. You might have to set the model to not use the embedded textures before being able to change mats or even textures. I am a newbie at this but used Daz for quite awhile.

Thanks for the answer. I'm pretty well versed in DAZ - but like you - new at Unity and VAM... but at least this lets me know what the issue is - the DAZ IRAY window shader needs to be replaced with an appropriate Unity alternative glass shader - I'll have to figure the specifics out of finding a Unity material file and where I plug it in - but this lets me know it is possible. Thanks! I had kind of stalled out on experimenting with this because of this issue.

Upvote 0
Once you have say your car asset, drag it into the scene and select it. On the inspector click the materials tab (Model/Rig/Animation/Materials) and change location from embedded to use external materials and after a time it will unwrap all the material globes and texture files. This I do with .fbx files. I personally never import an asset as an obj. Plus once you can apply materials check your Daz texture folders for all the maps. Unity doesnt by default add the bump/normal, masks etc Ive found, so if an asset has these (not all do), it can improve the look especially with lighting sorted and baked quite a bit.

Here are a couple pics of FG's Deans Office I ported (still need to adjust smoothness on the furniture etc - too glossy atm). I use the misc_diorama_skies.assetbundle and day_skydomes.assetbundle for background and light which are both here on the hub. You can rotate the day_skydomes for some nice shadow effects.

This scene while looks to have a lot of assets, runs very well even in VR. Have fun mate!

Attachments

• Deans Office 1.png
    Deans Office 1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Deans Office 2.png
    Deans Office 2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom