Compressing VAM Cache folder by >60%

CheekiBreeki

Featured Contributor
Reactions
VaM's cache folder getting gigantic is a common problem, specially if you have smaller ssds.
Using CompactGUI's Xpress4k compression on the Cache/Textures folder, I saw 67% reduction in size, without any change in VaM performance.

CompactGUI is an open-source program. It can compress any folder in Windows transparently (meaning your files aren't compressed to a zip rar etc, they remain accessible as normal files), with negligible performance impact. External programs still access the files as normal, and decompression happens automatically.

Steps to compress:
  • Download the program ( Assets > CompactGUI.exe ) from releases tab.
  • Run program, select folder <VAM Directory>/Cache/Textures
  • Compression mode = Xpress4K (higher ones have very small additional benefit).
  • Watch folder for changes, so you can compress it again later if new files are added. Hover to bottom edge of window to see watched folders tab.
Seems like a free and easy way to reduce cache folder's size, without affecting any VaM functionality. I have a pretty beefy rig with fast SSDs so wanted to check if others have tried it and seen any drawbacks? If not, we could make a guide for this?

I just empty the cache when it gets to about 18-20 GB. That removes things I tried and didn't like, and keeps fresh the things I go back to often.

Back
Top Bottom