• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Can You make Assets From Unreal Engine?

virtamater

Reactions
I got a lot of architectual stuff from Blender and Unreal.. I thought i saw something on here for assets from Unity, but I dont have that program.. Is there a guide to import from UR?

Yes, please have a look at the Ressources/Guides section.
You will only need a/some 3D mesh(es) with materials.
Formats I have tried so far were .OBJ and .FBX .
So it is able to use nearly every meshes that can be converted to those basic formats.
Maybe you have to re-arrange scenes with many objects in it, and most likely you have to edit the materials for best results. It is a bit time consumpting, but not complicated, if you follow the tutorials closely step by step. Unity is free to non-commercial users, but mind that VaM 1.x can only understand assets made with a certain old Unity version.
Once you have set up a working basic scene, and once you have learned the very basics, it is a matter of maybe half-an-hour to import a single object with only some materials.

Some things I wished I would have known from the start: you will have a tree structure on the left side... try to always move the root object to coordinates 0,0,0 and keep every other object within this hierarchical tree structure. Otherwise you will have parts of the scene that are static and not movable (or other unpleasantly effects). This structure is organized in scene objects and the real meshes. If you want to edit materials or add collision, select the meshes, not that objects. Start with a simple item or scene, and start with no lighting, sound, animations or reflections.

Last edited:
Yes, please have a look at the Ressources/Guides section.
You will only need a/some 3D mesh(es) with materials.
Formats I have tried so far were .OBJ and .FBX .
So it is able to use nearly every meshes that can be converted to those basic formats.
Maybe you have to re-arrange scenes with many objects in it, and most likely you have to edit the materials for best results. It is a bit time consumpting, but not complicated, if you follow the tutorials closely step by step. Unity is free to non-commercial users, but mind that VaM 1.x can only understand assets made with a certain old Unity version.
Once you have set up a working basic scene, and once you have learned the very basics, it is a matter of maybe half-an-hour to import a single object with only some materials.

Some things I wished I would have known from the start: you will have a tree structure on the left side... try to always move the root object to coordinates 0,0,0 and keep every other object within this hierarchical tree structure. Otherwise you will have parts of the scene that are static and not movable (or other unpleasantly effects). This structure is organized in scene objects and the real meshes. If you want to edit materials or add collision, select the meshes, not that objects. Start with a simple item or scene, and start with no lighting, sound, animations or reflections.

Hi,

By chance do you know the name of the exact guide?

I took a look in the guides section and didn't find anything related to Unreal Engine and assets. Unless I'm not looking in the right place.

thanks!

Hi,

By chance do you know the name of the exact guide?

I took a look in the guides section and didn't find anything related to Unreal Engine and assets. Unless I'm not looking in the right place.

thanks!

There are AFAIK no guides related to Unreal Engine. Sorry, if my answer was unclear.
All you will need are 3d meshes with materials in one of the very common file formats.
Please have a look at Unreal or Unreal-tutorials how to extract or export those meshes. I am sure there will be a way. Maybe you can't export a whole meshes-scenery, but most likely at least the included objects.
Please don't expect to use a completely lighted and scripted Unreal asset with all shaders and stuff from the Unreal-store out of the box 1:1 in Unity. An Unreal or Unity asset contains: 3d meshes, material informations, shader-, lighting-, collision-, animation-, sound-, ... , scripting-informations. Most of this will be most likely engine specific, but at least the raw meshes will be usable.
Once you have the meshes out of Unreal, every following stepp in Unity is like with exported meshes from Blender or DAZ3d, or whatever.

I think VamBlaster wants to export things from UE the same way as doing assetbundle from Unity.

As to my knowledge VAM is made in Unity so if you want to bring something in you need to pass it through it.

See this guides:
https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/unity-assetbundles-for-vam-1-xx.167/

And look for more in Resources - > guides

Thank you @CycloneRed . Sometimes I don't see the most obvious things. :(
Could have saved everyone quite some time.
I think I was mislead by the first part, if it is possible with Blender.

OK, if this is the case:

You can only create assets for VaM (which is made in Unity) in Unity!

You will even need a very special old Unity version, all other ones will not work.
Unity is free to non-commercial users. If you have content in Unreal you want to use,
you have to break it appart and re-construct it in Unity first.

Don't be dejected: if you know Unreal, than it will be something you might learn in only one afternoon.
You will only need some few basic functions.

Hello, I was interested in buying some pre-made Unreal Engine mocap animations of models and came upon this post to see if they could be used in VaM. Am I to understand that this is possible? Has anyone else tried this and how were your results?

Back
Top Bottom