Best option for video screen capture on desktop?

Jocks3D

Reactions
Patreon
callanscott
What screen capture software is good for recording videos of VaM scenes in desktop mode? Something that can do 4K in the MP4 format would be nice.

I realize there is a video recorder plugin here but I'd prefer something where I can just hit record and when I hit stop I have an MP4 file ready to play.

If there's also an option to record in VR feel free to share that too.

You can use OBS for example to capture your screen (or just the VaM window). Just make sure it's set using the encoder chip (e.g. NVENC for Nvidia cards) on your graphics card and not your CPU. The performance impact should be manageable then. With this method you can only record at the resolution VaM is actually running at...so for 4K, you need to run VaM at 4K and have a 4K monitor. (There is also a plugin that can make a video at higher resolution which doesn't work in realtime..but you asked for "just hit record")

Also there is a 2-part tutorial for more tips&tricks here. I think especially the part about "smooth" recording is important:

Thank you MacGruber, once again you are very helpful! I've heard of OBS and will try it. I don't have a 4K monitor (yet) so I guess 1080p will suffice. And thank you for the tutorial, I did not know that existed.

If anyone else has experience with another program such as Camtasia (?) please share. I think I recall that MS Windows even has a built in screen recorder ported in from Xbox.

I tried a lot of them, always coming back to OBS because it has everything I need and in an easy to use way.

Back
Top Bottom