Suddenly have black bars on screen.

Aminator

Reactions
I don't know what I did but suddenly I have black bars on the sides of the screen cropping the picture.
I can't figure out how it happened or how to fix it.

I don't know what I did but suddenly I have black bars on the sides of the screen cropping the picture.
I can't figure out how it happened or how to fix it.
What sides (top/bottom)?
My guess, you probably went from "fullscreen" to windowed (maximized) and back to "fullscreen"?
Try run config.bat again (to set correct resolution), or edit vam.bat to start in right resolution every time.

Unless you have bars left/right?

What sides (top/bottom)?
My guess, you probably went from "fullscreen" to windowed (maximized) and back to "fullscreen"?
Try run config.bat again (to set correct resolution), or edit vam.bat to start in right resolution every time.

Unless you have bars left/right?

The bars are on the sides of the screen.

PC is connected to my 55 inch tv.
Everything's been a mess since Windows updated a couple days ago. I lost all my settings and tweaks and all my browser bookmarks etc.

VAM was fine though up until today.

My bad i assumed it was VaM related, but it looks like you have system based issue.
Windows updater can also install graphics/display drivers...maybe something changed or failed to auto-configure.

Did you check that windows display settings & driver settings are correct (resolution, aspect, scaling, screen size, etc...)?
If you have multi-displays, did you re-check settings on graphics driver (for each output)?
Maybe try to update/reinstall/downgrade graphics driver?
Did you try uninstalling tv driver & reconnecting?

If it's windows 11, that sh%t is bound to have issues (it's been ~4 months since launch, still not mature enough, give it a year or so).

I just opened can again and this time everything was back to normal. I restarted it before and still had the black bars so I don't know what that was about.

Some TVs have unusual display resolutions. I once had one of these, too (it had gorgeous colors, by the way), and I had to manually re-adjust the resolution by hand, every now and then after updates.

An other issue aside from Windows may be the TV‘s picture geometry options. You know, that settings where you can switch between 16:9 „letterbox„ or „cinema“, or „PC“… Sometimes the TV can‘t recognize the input signal correctly and therefore chooses the wrong formate.

Back
Top Bottom