Question Best Non-Gaming Laptop for VR/VAM

Smoothness

Reactions
I need a new laptop for work and my previous Alienware 17R4 (I think that's the model) is getting pretty old, something like 4 years old. Thus, I can justify the purchase for double duty: work and fun.

Any advice about the best VR/VAM-ready laptop that is not labeled as a gaming laptop? After this stupid pandemic is over, I would have to bring it to meetings, so flashy "Alienware" or whatever is discouraged. High reliability is very very VERY important. Ideally 15" and somewhat portable.

Right now I've got a Rift and a Quest. Will eventually upgrade to the new Quest. Aside from a boost to VAM performance, I'm looking to decrease the load times for both VAM and scenes. I often have limited time and waiting for a new scene to load... finding out it's not what I'm looking for... restarting VAM... waiting for another scene to load... rinse... repeat... often takes too long and I just skip VAM and do something else.

Budget of $3k or so.

Thanks!

I'm now leaning towards a ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 Mobile Workstation with an Intel® Core™ i7-10850H Processor and a NVDIA Quadro T2000. Even with 2TB HD, that's still about $3k with current discounts.

Thoughts?

Bonus is that I sometimes meet with Lenovo guys.

EDIT: That might be dumb because, despite being VR ready, the T2000 is more for rendering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay... It looks like I'm talking to myself here... ;) But here's an update:

Considering the MSI Creator 15 A10SGS or the MSI GS66 Stealth 10SGS.

The Stealth 144Hz screen rate isn't needed, so leaning towards the Creator. The Creator is lacking in USB ports, but I can use a hub and like that it has a full SD card reader (I do some photography).

Upvote 0
Update: Ordered a ThinkPad T15g! i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super Max-Q.

Gotta love Black Friday sales, the price kept dropping and I got it for $2,149.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom