Benchmark Result Discussion

@Bon5a1Bigg73s
Welcome on board! I don't wanna be rude but you should definitely get a new CPU very soon. Your 3080 is totally bottlenecked with this, maybe you already know.

Thank you MacGruber for useful benchmark
I can't try my oculus right now but here is my result in desktop mode 1080p.
5800x is running in ecomode so it may add a few more fps I guess.

Benchmark-20211021-114152.png

Great benchmark! This will be very helpful for further optimizing.

My results, didn't have compared them in detail till now, but at first glance... hmmmm maybe I should have payed a bit more for the CPU, or it is SteamVR that pulls the brake, compared to the Occulus hmds?
Or maybe it is my full AMD build.
Nevertheless, this is a motivation to do some system optimizing and OC.
I am very happy with my low CPU and GPU temperatures, both being water cooled.

DDR4 3600 CL 16 RAM

First one with 200% Supersampling and 144Hz:
Benchmark-20211021-110628.png

Second one is with 100% Supersampling and 90Hz:
Benchmark-20211021-112246.png

Third one is the same with slightly overclocked GPU and CPU (only used those one-click standard features in AI Suite and Radeon Driver Software):
Benchmark-20211021-114451.png

Fourth one is the same like above but with Valve Index144Hz refresh rate, because I think the above is showing the typical Steam feature of deviding the refresh rate by half if it can't keep the full rate. 90Hz devided by 2 = 45Hz;144Hz devided by 2 = 72Hz.
Benchmark-20211021-115739.png

Desktop:
Benchmark-20211021-123831.png

@TToby
There's something totally wrong with your results. Looking alone at the results from endolu right above yours with the same hardware, comparing desktop, something is VERY wrong.
I used SteamVR as well, no problems with that in my eyes. Your VR resolution is kind of a riddle to me, maybe you should hit the "standard settings" button in SteamVR once.
Your Desktop resolution also is a riddle to me. Did you cut some lines off from your monitor? 1920x1017?? This is not even even, even even? Straight or whatever. :D

Question/suggestion: are you considering adding the capability to output results in JSON or XML format?
Actually the original version produced output using BB code that worked here in the forum. However, it was to unflexible for formatting that much data, using colors to highlight things, etc. Of course if someone wants to build some kind of database website to make results more searchable, implementing additional machine readable JSON output should not take too much time.

Your Desktop resolution also is a riddle to me. Did you cut some lines off from your monitor? 1920x1017?? This is not even even, even even?
Several people seem to use that. I think its the VaM window without the title bar? Note that you can run VaM desktop mode at any arbitrary resolution using this:

Several people seem to use that. I think its the VaM window without the title bar? Note that you can run VaM desktop mode at any arbitrary resolution using this:
yeah, i get a title bar when running desktop in windowed mode, so that makes perfect sense to me

@HolySchmidt Yes, I know. Something seems wrong. Endolu, who has posted his results the moment while I still were writing, has more or less the same hardware like me. Because of this and the fact that my mainboard is not displayed, I just did a BIOS update, installed the latest chipset drivers, installed the latest GPU drivers, de-installed some bloatware, double-checked the BIOS settings, aso.
The only obvious things I didn't have done is re-installed Windows (...) and doing a clean VaM installation. I have the same VaM installation updated for years and it is stuffed up to the rim with old things... maybe this could be a reason.
I will do the latter tomorrow. Would be interesting to see.
Although it is a bit depressing, it is also exactly the reason why we have needed this great benchmark tool! Maybe I would never have figured out that there is something wrong without this!

Because otherwise SteamVR would have automatically starting, I have started the desktop mode by using the VaM Updater. Maybe that is the reason? I will try those command line parameters tomorrow. Thank you!

Yes, I know. Something seems wrong.
Maybe you did not enable the XMP Memory profile in BIOS? By default AMD socket boards run with only 2133 MHz or something like that, not the 3600 Mhz your DDR4 3600 CL16 modules should run at. On your ASUS board the feature to read the XMP profile should be named "D.O.C.P." or something like that.

Lione-VAM-Benchmark-Desktop.png

Lione-VAM-Benchmark-VR.png

Quest 2 VR Tests will follow

My current PC Hardware:

CPU
: Intel Core i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7 GHz / default settings, no overclocking
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Z490 MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3080 Gaming OC 10GB
VAM NVME SSD Disc: Seagate FireCuda 520, NVMe PCIe X4 Gen4 SSD, 1 TB
RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 3200MHz - 64 GB
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 Watercooler
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus Plus FX 1000W
Case: NZXT H510 Elite White

CPU temp during tests : 60-70 Degrees Celcius max / Idle 35 to 50 Degrees
GPU Temp / Noise Level : Temp 65 Degrees Celcius / Slower fan speeds

Attachments

• Lione-VAM-Benchmark-Desktop.png
    Lione-VAM-Benchmark-Desktop.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
VR mode with the Reverb G2. If you were thinking of getting a 3090 to drive a pixel count like the G2, maybe save up and wait for the next generation
Benchmark-20211021-205654.png

If you don't like your 3090 I will happily trade it for my 3060 and some magic beans...

If you don't like your 3090 I will happily trade it for my 3060 and some magic beans...
hehe, i like it, but it's quite frustrating having thrown the best card on the market at the Reverb G2 and still having to drop a ton of settings to get smooth performance! i spent hours tuning settings in project cars 2 to get it playable in the dark or rain!

really interested to see how big the jump will be for the next gen. VR headsets are marching forward in pixel count faster than the graphics cards can keep up

And here is my GLORIOUS GTX 1080 performance in Desktop Mode:

Benchmark-20211021-090104.png

It is verions 1 of the plugin because i had no time to upload this before. If i make a VR Mode test, i'll update this post.

Update:

And there is how it perform in VR!

Benchmark-20211022-163330.png

Note: I've done this only for the community, don't ask me to torture my poor GLORIOUS GTX 1080 anymore! :p

Last edited:
@rernat, my 3060 is supposedly better than your 5700 and the Ryzen 5 5600X is better than your 1500X. Yet look at my fps compared to yours!
What on earth is wrong with my system?
In fact, looking at the numbers all your ms times per frame are substantially larger (slower) and yet the avg FPS is the same or higher each time!
WTF is going on with my system that is holding the FPS down so much if the actual processing time is less?

WTF is going on with my system that is holding the FPS down so much if the actual processing time is less?
You are using Oculus hardware where VSync can't be turned off. It may be trying to keep you at stable 36Hz, half of the headsets 72Hz to avoid tearing artifacts. So all the faster sequences during the benchmark are limited to 36fps, bringing down the overall average? @rernat's Vive won't have that problem because its a 90Hz headset which would try to keep at 45Hz which is further away. You two may want to compare in desktop mode to see whether there is a problem with the actual machines.

OK, I'm getting close...
Still not as good as Endolu, who has more or less the same hardware like me, but much better than before.
There is still some headroom for optimizations and OC.

I did plenty of tests and have run the benchmark for more then 20 times.
Here are some of my results:

-It doesn't matter if you run the benchmark with an old and overstuffed VaM installation or with a fresh install.
The FPS are absolutely the same! Though, the loading speed is lightning fast with the new install. WOW.

-Check your quality settings in your GPU driver tool twice! I once tried out some of those settings and forgot about that... this has cost me a lot of FPS. Revert it to a standard setting if you are not sure.
-For AMD Adrenaline I have used the "Game" or "E-Sports" preset, plus performance settings to "Loud" with best results.
-Check for bloatware running in the background. I still have some of them like AI Suite3 and ASUS Armory Crate, I bet they are pulling the brake a bit.

Benchmark-20211022-091933.png

@HolySchmidt It was the driver quality settings like tesselation, antialising, etc.
Though, I still have the 1017 resolution.

Last edited:
And here my desktop results. How can you set fullscreen?
Any hardware setup suggestions?

Benchmark-20211022-110137.png

So I set the headset to 90hz not 72, basically the same result. No real difference in any of the results.
I did however have a though and tested via SteamVR (I am normally launching direct through VirtualDesktop) and SteamVR performed quite a few FPS worse than launching directly via VirtualDesktop. I am charging the headset but will try with Airlink next and see how that compares.
Here are the results in VirtualDesktop (direct launch, no SteamVR) at 90hz in the headset and with SteamVR launched (Still using VirtualDesktop).

Attachments

• Benchmark-20211022-110006.png
    Benchmark-20211022-110006.png
    714.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Benchmark-20211022-111304.png
    Benchmark-20211022-111304.png
    704.3 KB · Views: 0
@HolySchmidt It was the driver quality settings like tesselation, antialising, etc.
Though, I still have the 1017 resolution.

Maybe you can run VaM in Fullscreen mode to have 1920*1080.
(Start VaM with VaM (Config).bat or create your own bat file)

My 5800x is running with PBO2 on(PPT85 TDC60 EDC90) but still gets 4.8GHz max so I think CPU under clock doesn't effect much to the result.
(CPU usage was 25 - 30% during benchmark)
As MacGruber said you might better check if XMP memory profile is on, which is sometimes more important than CPU settings.

For your reference my sapphire 6900xt nitro is tuned 2300MHz min - 2400MHz max with 1100mV, fan curve optimized, VRAM with fast timing and SAM on.
(I could go higher clock speed but too hot for my ITX case)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom