Question Any guides to making complete new characters from scratch?

groinc

Reactions
I am very familiar with ZBrush, Cinema4d and Daz. But I am not familiar with a good pipeline/workflow.
My intention is to start from the base g2 model and create a new custom whole body morph, custom correction morphs for custom poses, new UV's and new texture. Any help appreciated. I'd gladly pay for a complete guide too. pm me

There are 2 tutorials right here on the Hub that have helped me. One where you use the Daz g2 model and another where you can export an obj from VAM as a starting point. Check them out here>Tutorials. Press the green download for one tutorial, scroll down and you will see the second tutorial.

Upvote 0
If you are familiar with DAZ and ZBrush, it will be no problem for you. There is even a DAZ to ZBrush bridge downloadable from the DAZ download manager for "one click" ZBrush export. Just don't forget to dial down the DAZ figures surface smoothing first, like described in the tutorials (and never add or remove vertices from the model, or you will not be able to create the morph).
The most important thing you need to know is, that you can't use custom models in VaM and rig them, but you have to create body morphs with DAZ to morph the existing Genesis 2 figure. Those morps can be used by VaM, too. Be aware, that many small "HD" details will be gone, due to VaMs mesh smoothing.
To learn how to make custom body morphs in DAZ, you don't neccessarily need VaM tutorials, but there are many DAZ tutorials out there, too.

Upvote 0
What does Zbrush do what DAZ can not do ?
Cant you paint or "brush" in DAZ ?

Can Zbrush export to VAM or is it again such a huge work ?
I have never seen a DAZ to Zbrush to VAM Tutorial.
Still a secret ;)

And is a GRafic Tablet a Must Have to work in Zbrush ?

Upvote 0
@Lione ZBrush is a 3D modeling tool like Blender, or better it is a 3D sculpting tool. Unlike other 3D tools before, it enabled users to sculpt a 3D object like real-world clay. Nowerdays some other tools are able to do something similar. Even the free Blender has a sculpting function, now. There is a "bridge" plugin for DAZ to export a DAZ figure directly to ZBrush and back. Because ZBrush is going a completely other way than other programms, IMHO it has a steep learning curve. I use it for simply creating morphs with sculpting, but many other functions are still an absolute mystery to me ;) There is a surface-painting options as well, but I don't use it.
So it is mainly for 3D modeling, you will need to import the morphs back to DAZ like usual.
You don't need a Graphic Tablet for ZBrush or most other tools like painting programms, if you are used to paint with the mouse. Painting with a Graphic Tablet is something you have to learn and it is not automatically more easy than mouse-painting. I only use my Graphic Tablet for some very limited use cases.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom