Alert when uploading a VAR with more than X dependencies

atani

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
atani12.gitlab.io
There's many resources in the Hub that are poorly packaged, bringing in countless dependencies needlessly. This snowballs quickly and one of the most common issues shared is on how to manage the enormous amount of stuff that quickly accumulates in people's disks and hinders VaM performance.

Proposal
What I propose is a check and alert that is triggered during the resource upload process.
Essentially, if you upload a VAR with more than X dependencies, a alert is shown. I'm thinking 75 dependencies, but any number can do that seems excessive for a VAR.

The alert
This alert would mention that likely the VAR is poorly made and would show a link to ZRSX's guide (How to package like a pro: a guide on proper VAR building ).
This would bring up the guide to people who may not know about it or realise the problem they're creating, and hopefully leading them to go back and repackage the VAR in better ways and have better VARs in the Hub.
Of course, this alert should have a override checkbox to continue the resource sharing process, as some resources do require many dependencies.

I'm hoping that this is doable, considering that during the upload process the VAR is checked to populate the dependencies list, a alert system could also be added to trigger when there's too many dependencies on that list.
The hope is for better VAR packaging practices and cleaner VaM in people's computers :) 🧹

Last edited:
I've noticed this, I've got so many copies of the same hair styles from different scenes all called the same thing, and if you add the wrong one to your scene it includes all of the dependencies from the VAR it came from when you pack it. I had to go through and manually check to get the original creator's VAR package. It would be great to know if you could filter so that only the originals show up when making a scene, so that only that dependency was added.

Hi, @AshAuryn

With the recent Hub dev work, I'm tagging you and bumping this thread as I hope this could be implemented somewhat easily and potentially help reduce one of the biggest problems facing VaM, poorly packaged content.

Cheers

Thank you for this reminder of my previous comment in this thread. I just redid the face textures for one of my first ever looks and was able to remove 4 unnecessary dependencies at the same time (about 70MB). All there originally by clicking on the wrong eye reflection item.

Hi, @AshAuryn

With the recent Hub dev work, I'm tagging you and bumping this thread as I hope this could be implemented somewhat easily and potentially help reduce one of the biggest problems facing VaM, poorly packaged content.

Cheers

I don't believe it would be fair to set an arbitrary value for "max dependencies", however it is in the to-do list to have the search results list the number of dependencies so you can quickly see how many there are. Once that is in place, maybe we can continue to discuss what might be done about resources that have a very large number of dependencies.

It wouldn't be a blocker for max dependencies, it would be a warning like "hey, you have a shitload of dependencies, want to see this guide to reduce the number?" with a button to cancel the upload or upload anyway. It's a little like the warning given in the Package Manager regarding PC licenses and such.

It wouldn't be a blocker for max dependencies, it would be a warning like "hey, you have a shitload of dependencies, want to see this guide to reduce the number?" with a button to cancel the upload or upload anyway. It's a little like the warning given in the Package Manager regarding PC licenses and such.

Yeah I'm ok with something like this, which will be possible once the dependency count is displayed.

Back
Top Bottom