Question A professional is needed to verify if there are any unexpected issues with my approach.

vvs123

Reactions
Not long ago, I posted a question on the hub about excessively reducing clothing duplication.
After some testing over time, I found that extracting assets from var files works fine for clothing and morph files, but VAM seems unable to read other items, including but not limited to assetbundles, character skin textures, audio in the scene, and texture files referenced by other assets in the scene (non-assetbundle clothing is not affected). So, if I extract all the clothing and morph files from the character var packages (I have about 70 characters) into the corresponding Custom\Atom\Person folder, are there any unexpected issues I should be aware of? One known issue is that morph files with the same name seem to be overwritten, meaning that only one of the morph files can be read in VAM. This seems to happen with some older character presets.

Scene files are rewritten to work with the vars. If you'd extract all the files, then delete the vars, the scene wouldn't work anymore unless you'd edit them to remove the "var modified paths".

Pretty much all appearances/references/paths are bound to the var files. If that was not the case, then the "paths" would be all wrong and point on a local path... which wouldn't work.

TL;DR: This is not a tiny task, and you're gonna have issues. That's the most accurate depiction of trying to extract everything contained in a var file.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom