Fixed (1.20.1.6) Clothes hiding system issue

AlexDenton

Reactions
Hi,

A great percentage of content creators that are doing scenes and adding to their VARs clothes from other content creators using them from inside their VAR instead of using the dependency system, that per se is not the bug I'm reporting is just a bad practice that I hope they correct in newer versions of their VARS and its the reason why we get so many HUGE VARs 1-2GB just to show a scene.

The bug is that when trying to find the latest (author) version of an item its really difficult since I have to do a mouse over every package icon to see the real author (sorting by author doesn't help cause all are detected as the same), so I spent hours pressing hide (in preferences) to each and every single one of the non-author items, and it worked well just showing the items that I did not hide (the original author ones), but when VAM is restarted it hides also the ones from the author, I believe this is because its only filtering with the UID, and that is a huge bug because then we are unable to hide the multiple copies of an item (and sometimes there are like 50-60 copies of the popular ones) , the version system also gets messed up because it shows the version of the VAR (of the creator's scene) instead of the real version of the item, so you can have an item that the original version has in version "3" for example and have items version "7" of the scene's content creators, so its really difficult and annoying to find the most updated piece of clothes.

So its 3 bugs:
  1. Duplication of items
  2. Version system getting messed up
  3. Hiding system not working and hiding all that matches the name after restart.
I understand the first two are somewhat difficult to resolve, but I could work around if the number 3 gets corrected, i could hide all the copies and just left the original.

On an additional note there should be a validation when content creators upload their VARs to the HUB, one that check the meta.json is valid (i fixed like 40 jsons yesterday), and one that check for UIDs duplication, that process would make the var system more robust and help with content deduplication forcing content creators to use the dependency system as it was designed (and also lower the amount of size that vars have).

Have happy holiday! You are doing a great work.

1608760509421.png

Thanks in advance,

Yeah I can't fix duplication of items. I can fix the hide system. I'm going to make it consistent with the rest of VaM's hide system which works on unique path IDs. That way you can hide specific versions and/or duplicates that occur from repackaged items. You will still have to hover over the package box to determine the origin to decide which to hide. Those UI panels are too crowded to show the package UID directly on the top.

Do note this is a replacement system. Any items you currently have marked as hidden will reappear after the next release and you will have to hide them again as it works on each individual item. Note the tags still apply to all versions of the item.

I have the new hide system ready and it will be in next release. It works as described where hide is not per independent item and no longer the items of all the same path ID

@meshedvr: Thanks a lot for the new hide system - one question though: What's the effect on runtime, especially wrt scene loads? Will hidden items only be hidden from the user, or will they also be taken off the list of items that VaM scans regularly?

Back
Top Bottom